ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trailers  (Read 3848 times)

David Parker

trailers
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:15 PM »

For years I have preached that trailers are the only way to go with sound equipment. Certainly, if you have room to park it at the venue, it's MUCH easier to load in and out of a trailer. My current trailer has more room than I need, since I downsized, and it's wonderful to be able to put everything on the floor, nothing is stacked, and I can roll everything in and out either with wheels on the cases, or dollies. Now many of the places I set up don't have parking for a trailer. I'm working on a larger, taller camper shell for my truck so I can get what I need into there. It'll be a lot more work loading and unloading, but at least I'll be able to get into the venue and then park.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: trailers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »

I'm in the same boat as you.  I have been using a trailer for the last 8 years and it has made life easeir.  I do get jobs in the city where there is just no parking for a trailer so I must use my van.  I recently got an aluminun ramp for the van and it has helped a lot.

http://www.discountramps.com/handicap_ramp.htm
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:43:10 AM by Chuck Simon »

Rob Gow

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »

Nice!! My trailer is scheduled for weld on the 22nd. It will stay loaded and sit in my garage between gigs!

I'm REALLY looking forward to it. It takes 45mins to load and offload my truck.

:(

Randall Hyde

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:25:53 AM »

For years I have preached that trailers are the only way to go with sound equipment. Certainly, if you have room to park it at the venue, it's MUCH easier to load in and out of a trailer.
Compared to?
And transporting what?

My current trailer has more room than I need, since I downsized, and it's wonderful to be able to put everything on the floor, nothing is stacked, and I can roll everything in and out either with wheels on the cases, or dollies. Now many of the places I set up don't have parking for a trailer. I'm working on a larger, taller camper shell for my truck so I can get what I need into there. It'll be a lot more work loading and unloading, but at least I'll be able to get into the venue and then park.

Okay, back of a pickup, that I'd have to agree with.

Note that for the price of a typical trailer, you can buy an old box truck with a lift gate or an old U-Haul trick with a nice ramp.
Advantages:
Far easier to park. Far, far, easier to back up. U-Haul trucks are just as easy to load/unload. Lift gate/box trucks take longer, but are great for heavier gear that you'd have trouble pushing up a ramp.

Disadvantages:
Another vehicle requiring insurance.
Another vehicle to maintain.
Parking restrictions in certain cities (can't leave it on the street).
Generally need at least two people if you're operating a lift gate (then again, if you have gear requiring a lift gate, you'll want at least two people anyway).

I went the trailer/pickup route. Found the box truck/lift gate route to be a whole lot better. However, I do larger shows (for an ankle-biter) so YMMV.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »

For me, those are two HUGE disadvantages!

I payed $4800.00 for my trailer.  A $4800.00 box truck is going to need a lot of maintainence.

But I don't want to try and convince anyone what is best for them, I know what works for me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:37:27 AM by Chuck Simon »

Rick Powell

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »

For me, those are two HUGE disadvantages!

I payed $4800.00 for my trailer.  A $4800.00 box truck is going to need a lot of maintainence.

But I don't want to try and convince anyone what is best for them, I know what works for me.

I paid $2500 for a surplus AT&T van with relatively low miles on it (for a 1996).  I suspect it was the van that nobody used unless all the other vehicles were checked out of the lot (no A/C) but the thing was obviously maintained well and runs great.  Bonus - I stripped the antennas, shelving and ladder rack off it and sold the whole mess for a few hundred $ on ebay.  There is ample room for everything I own, and room for more.  I would have had to buy a tow-worthy pulling vehicle AND a trailer if i had gone that route (which would have gotten rotten MPG compared to our daily use vehicles if I used it for other purposes).  Having the van was definitely the best option I had, and I only use it for hauling sound stuff, and occasional other hauling or moving.  And I am not driving a dually pickup around burning $5 of gas every 8 miles as my primary vehicle, when not towing sound equipment.

Rob Gow

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »

I'm in Canada, and it gets down to -40F in the winter, probably tops out at 100F in the summer, but not often. I'm in a pretty industry heavy town and everyone "knows a guy" with a cutting torch or bolt cutters, so if they really wanted into the trailer they could get in, or steal it. I ordered one that will fit in my garage and I can leave it loaded which will save a lot of work.

My truck will pull it, and I might end up getting a bigger truck.

Growing pains.

;)

David Hayes

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »

I paid $1650 for an enclosed double axle 16' in excellent shape.  Then spent a couple hundred on wood and screws to outfit it specifically for my band's gear.  Best investment we have made so far.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »

Compared to?
And transporting what?

Okay, back of a pickup, that I'd have to agree with.

Note that for the price of a typical trailer, you can buy an old box truck with a lift gate or an old U-Haul trick with a nice ramp.
Advantages:
Far easier to park. Far, far, easier to back up. U-Haul trucks are just as easy to load/unload. Lift gate/box trucks take longer, but are great for heavier gear that you'd have trouble pushing up a ramp.

Disadvantages:
Parking restrictions in certain cities (can't leave it on the street).
Generally need at least two people if you're operating a lift gate (then again, if you have gear requiring a lift gate, you'll want at least two people anyway).

I went the trailer/pickup route. Found the box truck/lift gate route to be a whole lot better. However, I do larger shows (for an ankle-biter) so YMMV.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

There's no way I'd buy an old Uhaul. Their trucks get used up to the point of no return, then they sell them. They don't maintain them all that well either.

Go for a Penske or Ryder, or a privately owned truck.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.