ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHURE ULX-D Digital RF systems  (Read 2260 times)

Gary Green

SHURE ULX-D Digital RF systems
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »

I just got approval to purchase several channels of RF  and am wondering what Mr. Cohen and other RF gurus here would weigh in with for pros and cons.  This is strictly indoor theater work, set and forget ( hopefully).  I will be getting a demo from the local Shure rep soon, but I am wondering if there are red flags that I am missing besides the latency of digital ...2.9ms. 
This shouldn't be a problem for our use. For the handful of times a year it might be because of a tour's  IEMs, I can handle  that with a UHF-R rental. 
Locked into Shure because of current analog RF inventory "I" own - caps, lavs etc..
I can't buy the channel count I need with new UHF-R pricing, but can with D pricing. 
And I believe I would look for used UHF-R before ULX-P

In my readings so far, I can't see any reasons not to go this route - ANY thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Scott Helmke

Re: SHURE ULX-D Digital RF systems
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »

We just got in a couple channels of ULX-D.  Seems pretty slick and well thought out at first look. 

Latency could definitely be an issue in some situations (in-ear monitors).  Also the battery life on standard AA cell isn't going to be especially great.  On the other hand the rechargeable battery system is pretty slick.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »

Hi Gary,

Yamaha LS9 is 2.5ms latency.
Add 1.5ms for the Xilica DSPs I use and we are up to 4ms.
Add the Shure latency and we are close to 7ms.

For some of the musicians I work with, they would definitely hear and not appreciate that.

Would be nice to have a low-latency, digital signal path from transmitter to mixer, mixer to DSP, and maybe DSP to amp/powered speakers.

Good luck with this...

Good health,  Weogo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.