ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help identifying 18" woofer  (Read 10049 times)

Jorge Ventura

Help identifying 18" woofer
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »

Hello all,
I need help identifying an 18" woofer which i'd like to use to replace what's currently in a turbosund tms4.  basket code numbers are 818 2389 9714. Will try to post picture asap.  Thanks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Help identifying 18" woofer
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »

Hello all,
I need help identifying an 18" woofer which i'd like to use to replace what's currently in a turbosund tms4.  basket code numbers are 818 2389 9714. Will try to post picture asap.  Thanks
A photo would be hugely helpful.

Sometimes driver different manufacturers will put the same part number on a particular loudspeaker-as used by the company that used it.

For example-in years past you could find the same number on speakers made by Utah-Eminance-CTS and I think Jensen-as used in various Fender guitar amps.  Whoever gave Fender the best deal that year got the contract.  And Fender wanted to keep the part number the same.

You then had to look at the manufacturers code on the frame to see who made it.  While the number was the same-the parts were not even close to being interchangeable.

I know other manufacturers have used different drivers in the same cabinet-for various reasons-over the years.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jorge Ventura

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »

attached are pics.  please note the magnet is vented and the positive terminal has a tiny fuse attached.  thanks in advance for all the help

A photo would be hugely helpful.

Sometimes driver different manufacturers will put the same part number on a particular loudspeaker-as used by the company that used it.

For example-in years past you could find the same number on speakers made by Utah-Eminance-CTS and I think Jensen-as used in various Fender guitar amps.  Whoever gave Fender the best deal that year got the contract.  And Fender wanted to keep the part number the same.

You then had to look at the manufacturers code on the frame to see who made it.  While the number was the same-the parts were not even close to being interchangeable.

I know other manufacturers have used different drivers in the same cabinet-for various reasons-over the years.

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »

Hello all,

Hi Jorge

The 18" drivers in a TMS 4 should be labeled LS-1801(OEM from Fane) or LS-1802(OEM from PD). Pictures shown below. As you will see, the basket shapes are different. So mounting will be slightly different. The basket shown in your photo, looks like an EV of some type. Both the PD and Fane have heavy duty cones, for use in horn loaded cabinets. Depending on the type of EV, it might not last very long. Are there any markings on the back plate. The serial number is just a casting production number.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »

Hi Jorge

The 18" drivers in a TMS 4 should be labeled LS-1801(OEM from Fane) or LS-1802(OEM from PD). Pictures shown below. As you will see, the basket shapes are different. So mounting will be slightly different. The basket shown in your photo, looks like an EV of some type. Both the PD and Fane have heavy duty cones, for use in horn loaded cabinets. Depending on the type of EV, it might not last very long. Are there any markings on the back plate. The serial number is just a casting production number.
My first thought was EV also.

We really need to see more of the speaker-such as a whole view of the back-and a view of the cone would also be helpful-but the back view would give the most information.

EV did use a fuse on the EVX models-but those are the only ones that I am aware of that had a fuse.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jorge Ventura

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »

Yes the originals i took out were the Fane ls1801's.  Here is another image however, i think you gents hit the nail perfectly.  i found an image of an ev evx-180b and it fits the bill.   The magnet vents are the same and the part number also starts with 818.  I've just dropped them in the box, they fit,  now all thats left is a gig where i can crank them up.  Thanks for all the help and info, you guys are awesome!

My first thought was EV also.

We really need to see more of the speaker-such as a whole view of the back-and a view of the cone would also be helpful-but the back view would give the most information.

EV did use a fuse on the EVX models-but those are the only ones that I am aware of that had a fuse.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:00:25 AM »

Hi.

That is a Electrovoice EVX 180. It may be the 180A or 180B.

Try contacting Dynacord in Europe or Electrovoice in the United States. They should be able to determine which model it is based on the basket number.

http://www.dynacord.com/en/

http://www.electrovoice.com/

Best Regards,

Jorge Ventura

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »

Will do Elliot thanks for confirming!

Hi.

That is a Electrovoice EVX 180. It may be the 180A or 180B.

Try contacting Dynacord in Europe or Electrovoice in the United States. They should be able to determine which model it is based on the basket number.

http://www.dynacord.com/en/

http://www.electrovoice.com/

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »

There was a convention, at one time, that over the counter versions were painted computer platinum? and versions in EV boxes were painted black. Just because it looks like a 180A/B does not always mean that it is correct. Some horrible experiments have been carried out on that woofer by reconers.

I own the EVX 180B so I am familiar on what the chassis in addition to what the magnet structure looks like. Since Electrovoice has offered the same frame for the past 40 years, the magnet structure is what determines the EVM from the EVX once the magnet is visible to see. From a frontal view it would be the size of the voice coil.

Dynacord or Electrovoice can only determine the status of the cone. However, the chassis is an EVX 180. There were four models of the EVX that shared that same magnet structure that were 18-inch drivers. Jorge Ventura may have one of the oldest versions.

Best Regards,

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

Looks like an older model EVX 180, prior to the A suffix  the basket spokes were older type like yours. Lets see the front of the cone, this should help determine the current status of the the cone since the evx180 recones to the 180A then the B later.
 The 180 will have a smaller dust cover while A & B have the larger dust cover with the A cover being reddish brown color and B model is black.
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.