ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphone distribution solution?  (Read 6524 times)

Rain Jaudon

• Multitude Audio
Re: Headphone distribution solution?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 04:51:46 pm »

This is an absolutely rediculous setup.  I know you are doing the best you can but if it were me I'd tell the bar owner he is nuts and walk.  What is it with bar owners that try to force impossible situations to work?

Over the past 2 years of working with him, the bands have gone from small trios (bass guitar drums) or acoustic to more full bands with dual electrics, bass, drums and vox.

Now there is a neighbor who complains if he can hear anything.  We've redirected mains, reduced gain on the amps and such and the guy still isn't happy.

I predict some line up changes as the old school guitarists aren't going to like going on ear buds and insist on their amps being a certain volume to attain certain tones/sounds.  The drummers are first class professionals, so I can't point my finger at them.
The bass player is a local pro as well and I've really not had a problem with his volume either.  Its always guitar and vox.

Rain Jaudon

• Multitude Audio
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 05:25:08 pm »

And we can't really point the finger entirely at the venue owner here - New Orleans has brought to the table two incredible dumb noise ordinances for the French Quarter. (actually its city wide after what I read this week).

The first stated that no levels over 85dB at 50' from your venue.  Fairly impossible to do.  Crowd noise jumps from 68-80 all night long.
The latest, just introduced last month, states that any venue with a Class A liquor license can have no loudspeaker or musician within 10' of any OPEN door or window.   Venue can close the door or window or plexiglass over it.
Venues without a Class A license are restricted to 20' from any door or window.

The 2nd ordinance has been tabled again for further study.  Its mostly going after the small tourist shops that place poor sounding radio shack speakers in their doors and blast distorted zydeco music thru it all day long.  But there is a group of residents along the Quarter and Frenchman that are trying to stomp out live entertainment with these ordinances.

Penalties start out as fines, then mandatory venue closings (2 days, one being a Friday) and the most severe is the loss of the liquor license.

So the venues are  doing what they can to comply.

George Dougherty

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »

And we can't really point the finger entirely at the venue owner here - New Orleans has brought to the table two incredible dumb noise ordinances for the French Quarter. (actually its city wide after what I read this week).

The first stated that no levels over 85dB at 50' from your venue.  Fairly impossible to do.  Crowd noise jumps from 68-80 all night long.
The latest, just introduced last month, states that any venue with a Class A liquor license can have no loudspeaker or musician within 10' of any OPEN door or window.   Venue can close the door or window or plexiglass over it.
Venues without a Class A license are restricted to 20' from any door or window.

The 2nd ordinance has been tabled again for further study.  Its mostly going after the small tourist shops that place poor sounding radio shack speakers in their doors and blast distorted zydeco music thru it all day long.  But there is a group of residents along the Quarter and Frenchman that are trying to stomp out live entertainment with these ordinances.

Penalties start out as fines, then mandatory venue closings (2 days, one being a Friday) and the most severe is the loss of the liquor license.

So the venues are  doing what they can to comply.
And here I always considered New Orleans as one of the jazz birthplaces.  Guess they've had enough of culture and its progression.

Rain Jaudon

• Multitude Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:42 pm »

And here I always considered New Orleans as one of the jazz birthplaces.  Guess they've had enough of culture and its progression.

I know!  Its gotten ugly.

http://noisenola.wordpress.com/

George Dougherty

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 10:06:42 am »

I know!  Its gotten ugly.

http://noisenola.wordpress.com/

Well, as someone who's developed a touch of tinnitus over the last 7 years, I can see the point of what they're looking to do. I have pondered safety for those of us that get exposure to insane volume levels through sound checks and concert time rather than just the brief concert and then do it throughout the week.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 06:17:50 pm »

I found a through ProSound articles this 20 dollar device that will help with keeping the cable connected headphones in place.   

http://www.elitecoreaudio.com/news-articles/2011/12/16/wired-body-pack-catching-fast

Using a microphone cable you can extend as far as needed.  With a trs to xlr M you can use mic cords to get around the stage.  the belt loop and sold metal enclosure helps to keep thing together.

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 01:56:06 am »

If you were to enclose the entire stage in plexiglass, the musicians would have to reduce their volume in self defense, and FOH would effectively control all of the sound in the venue.

I'd hate playing there under those circumstances, but the owner's objectives would be satisfied.
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 11:32:30 am »

If you were to enclose the entire stage in plexiglass, the musicians would have to reduce their volume in self defense, and FOH would effectively control all of the sound in the venue.

I'd hate playing there under those circumstances, but the owner's objectives would be satisfied.
You're headed in the right direction. The way to kill the problem here is actually more simplistic than thought. On the ledge above the bar put up a rim of plexi 24" high topped with a piece of bamboo or whatever type wood works with the venue. Make additional shields for use in front of the guitar players amps making sure they have a hole in them for a mic. I've run into this problem in the past with almost the exact same layout. Band above bar, but the guitar was mine and the bar a friends or I wouldn't have taken the job. Plexi is cheap, use 3/16 minimum.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 11:32:30 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.