ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A little demo today... CL-5 and CL-1  (Read 23717 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
A little demo of console sizes CL-5 vs M7/48
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »

Here is a look at how they compare in size. This is a CAD drawing of a CL-5 (the biggest CL) vs an M7/48.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: A little demo of console sizes CL-5 vs PM5D-RH
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »

Here is a look at how they compare in size. This is a CAD drawing of a CL-5 (the biggest CL) vs a PM5D-RH. This does not show the fairly large doghouse that would usually be hung on the back of the PM5D.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:12:35 PM by Mac Kerr »

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
Re: A little demo of console sizes CL-5 vs PM5D-RH
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:05 AM »

Here is a look at how they compare in size. This is a CAD drawing of a CL-5 (the biggest CL) vs a PM5D-RH. This does not show the fairly large doghouse that would usually be hung on the back of the PM5D.

I also noticed it's exactly as wide as a DM2000, but a lot more shallow.  And it wheighs like half, even without the case, which will be a lot smaller, so even more savings in wheight there :)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: A little demo today... CL-5 and CL-1
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »

My sense of the market these days is that Yamaha has slipped in the input + mic pre / output convertor wars.  Avid and Digico have put better sounding consoles in the market at these price points and Yamaha needs to reclaim that ground.  Back in the day the PM4000 never sounded like a Midas but when meeting riders for one offs the 4K was accepted when other, better sounding consoles ( say soundcraft 8000s ) were not accepted.  Yamaha needs to get back to a product that is at least on par with the competition on sonic quality and then pull ahead on their long standing strength in the user interface.  If these new consoles can do that on the sonics then I suspect these could be the new PM4k particularly as they now have a scalability that the 4K never had.  The ability to use essentially  the same surface in a small club and an arena and everyplace in between could be a game changer.

I don't think it is going to replace the 5D quickly. Long term it might. It will matter what Yamaha does at the high end of the lineup vs low low end.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
What's big or small?
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »

I also noticed it's exactly as wide as a DM2000, but a lot more shallow.  And it wheighs like half, even without the case, which will be a lot smaller, so even more savings in wheight there :)

That is a little deceptive, what is shown is the control surface, which in the case of the M7 or 5D is the whole console. With the CL series there is also the remote rack with the I/O to consider. This might even be multiple racks. Of course then there is the savings of the big multi vs the CAT5 signal transport.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »

My sense of the market these days is that Yamaha has slipped in the input + mic pre / output convertor wars.  Avid and Digico have put better sounding consoles in the market at these price points and Yamaha needs to reclaim that ground.  Back in the day the PM4000 never sounded like a Midas but when meeting riders for one offs the 4K was accepted when other, better sounding consoles ( say soundcraft 8000s ) were not accepted.  Yamaha needs to get back to a product that is at least on par with the competition on sonic quality and then pull ahead on their long standing strength in the user interface.  If these new consoles can do that on the sonics then I suspect these could be the new PM4k particularly as they now have a scalability that the 4K never had.  The ability to use essentially  the same surface in a small club and an arena and everyplace in between could be a game changer.

We'll see how successful they were when it hits the streets. They claim a lot of work went into mic pre design as well as both in and output converters. They do not claim it is "warmer", but they do claim "cleaner". To warm it up they are pushing the Open Deck processor.

Mac

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »

I think this is kind of a moot point - and mooter now than previously, as with the CL consoles you are not buying the preamps necessarily. I'm hoping they'll sound great, but now more than ever you can still just choose whatever preamps and converters you want - Rocknet, f.inst., which sounds excellent.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:18:25 PM by Frederik Rosenkjær »
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
Re: What's big or small?
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »

That is a little deceptive, what is shown is the control surface, which in the case of the M7 or 5D is the whole console. With the CL series there is also the remote rack with the I/O to consider. This might even be multiple racks. Of course then there is the savings of the big multi vs the CAT5 signal transport.

Mac

That's true, of course.  In my case, I finally have a "stage rack" for my DM 2000 so in that comparison the wheight/space savings would stille be a factor if the control surface is easier to handle.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »

I think this is kind of a moot point - and mooter now than previously, as with the CL consoles you are not buying the preamps necessarily. I'm hoping they'll sound great, but now more than ever you can stille just choose whatever preamps and converters you want - Rocknet, f.inst., which sounds excellent.

Can you control the Rocknet headamp gain/phantom/HPF from a CL console?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »

Can you control the Rocknet headamp gain/phantom/HPF from a CL console?

Probably, you can with all the other Yamaha digital consoles.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.