ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha O1V vs PreSonus SL - Opinions please  (Read 29012 times)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: Yamaha O1V vs PreSonus SL - Opinions please
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

More trolling with speculation.  You make the assertion, you provide the proof.
The OP post was for th O1V96.  This unit is listed in this pdf with a date of 1998.  This unit
has been discontinued
http://ems.music.utexas.edu/docs/01VE.pdf
The Pre Sonus is a new design that is still available on the market for sale.
The current year is 2012 and this actually puts the original O1v96 design at 14 years old.
Fourteen years in the digital /computer world is HUGE.
I have personally heard and had experience with the O1v96 and it sounds like digital hash crap
I chose not to comment on how I feel about the sound of it.
I do not have experience with the Presonus but made a suggestion to the OP that digital has come
along ways since the original 01v96 design.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »

The OP post was for th O1V96.  This unit is listed in this pdf with a date of 1998.  This unit
has been discontinued
http://ems.music.utexas.edu/docs/01VE.pdf
The Pre Sonus is a new design that is still available on the market for sale.
The current year is 2012 and this actually puts the original O1v96 design at 14 years old.
Fourteen years in the digital /computer world is HUGE.
I have personally heard and had experience with the O1v96 and it sounds like digital hash crap
I do not have experience with the Presonus but made a suggestion to the OP that digital has come
along ways since the original 01v96 design.

The OP stated he is looking for a new mixer. The link you included is indeed for a discontinued product, the original O1V, not O1V96. The series is still current, with 2 current models, the O1V96VCM, and the O1V96i. Yes, digital audio has come a long way since the original O1V, so has the O1V series.

Mac

Jack keaton

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »

This is one of those questions that gets asked a lot. What I would say is What are you looking for in a mixer?

I own the 01v96, What I like about it is it can be expanded (anyone that says it cost a lot to expand hasn't looked at the used market lately) . Motorized Faders. flexibility with patching, pairing, grouping. Ists built like a tank, mine has been banged up good and still ticking. If you plan on having others mix on it there might be a learning curve for them. Not a big fan of the screen, computer solves this. 

I will probably get a Presonus - Easier for someone else is mixing. The software is beautiful. The ability to allow someone to mix their own monitors is great.

Both will get the same job done just different ways. Both have their Good and Bad. You won't be let down by either.

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »

I am an 01v96 user and a fan of it.

Biggest thing for me? MIDI I/O.

I use my UDK's to flip light cues by sending a MIDI Program signal.

I play samples with my UDK's by sending MIDI notes to a sampler.

I can mix and run lights remotely with my LE1600 and a netbook because of MIDI.

Layers are not a problem for me at all on my 01v96. I set up all the inputs, then go to the remote layer and make a custom layout if its a recurring thing. (I normally only work with 1/2 bands)

I can expand it as much as I want, or I can make it as simple as I want. the Routing is fantastic, the FX on the v2 are great also (VCM is much better in my books as I love the RevX stuff)

How far do you want to go with your mixer is the better question.
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »

Never in my life have I experienced a mixer from any manufacturer, analog or digital, sound nearly as bad as some claim the LS9 and 01v96 sound. Sure there are better sounding mixers, but the 01v96 sounds fine. And if one can't get a nice sounding mix with it on an otherwise acceptable PA and good band, the mixer is not the problem.

As earlier stated its not the most user friendly mixer, so the presonus wins in that regard. That aside I still find the 01v96 to be a more flexible tool. I already own one but if I were to purchase right now, I'd still go for the yammie over the presonus. However I can certainly understand the arguments for going with the presonus depending on what ones needs are.

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 08:40:27 AM »

One might also want to take into account that neither has recallable headamps which is what put me off of buying one of them originally, also the presounus does not have motorized faders which in my opinion makes it much tougher to work with as you have to look at some leds to figure out where your fader actually is. Motorized faders are also quite nice to have when mixing aux sends (especially if your using them for monitors). The tradeoff comes in with presounus's great remote mixing integration, a feature that some say yamaha has not fully integrated into even the OV1 96i. In the end it is of course up to you to decide which feature set fits your needs better and can do more to help you get where you want to be but in my personal opinion I'd save up for an AH GLD system, all of the aforementioned features, arguably better sound and construction, and certainly easy to mix on.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 02:13:09 PM »

also the presounus does not have motorized faders which in my opinion makes it much tougher to work with as you have to look at some leds to figure out where your fader actually is. Motorized faders are also quite nice to have when mixing aux sends (especially if your using them for monitors).

This is a often repeated nonissue IMHO. If the fader doesn't serve as a control for multiple functions, there is no need for it to move on its own on the fly. The only time to be looking at those LED's is when recalling something from memory, which on that board is not something you are going to be doing on the fly anyways.
Jay Barracato

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »

This is a often repeated nonissue IMHO. If the fader doesn't serve as a control for multiple functions, there is no need for it to move on its own on the fly. The only time to be looking at those LED's is when recalling something from memory, which on that board is not something you are going to be doing on the fly anyways.

You are correct, sir.

I'm still waiting for the OP to answer the question about his situation and intended usage.  Without that information all speculation as to the efficacy of the boards in question is in question........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »

This a circular argument. Yes, you won't be recalling a lot of scenes on that console, because it would be useless without moving faders, so it doesn't need moving faders because you won't be using them.

The lack of moving faders is a big drawback of any console where the competition has them.

Mac

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »

This a circular argument. Yes, you won't be recalling a lot of scenes on that console, because it would be useless without moving faders, so it doesn't need moving faders because you won't be using them.

The lack of moving faders is a big drawback of any console where the competition has them.

Mac

It's also like discussing the need for wings on a pig.  If you need wings, then go ahead and buy the winged pig.  But if you situation does not require the hog to hover, then said wings are as useless as boar-teats.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.