ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Banana Plug Help  (Read 12289 times)

Jeff Bankston

Banana Plug Help
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:18 AM »

i have searched the web, called around the los angeles area and cannot find a bi-color twin banana plug. does anyone know if they are made and if so where i can buy them. heres fotos of what i'm looking for. red on one side and another color on the other side. thanks , jeff

Daniel Cash

• SR Forums
  • Portland, OR
Re: Banana Plug Help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:25:24 AM »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »

i have searched the web, called around the los angeles area and cannot find a bi-color twin banana plug. does anyone know if they are made and if so where i can buy them. heres fotos of what i'm looking for. red on one side and another color on the other side. thanks , jeff

I have never seen a bi-color dual banana plug. What would the point be? They are already differentiated as to which side is hot and which is ground by the ground tab on the side which can even be identified in the dark, or when you can't get your head far enough into the back of the rack.

Mac

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »

How about this?

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=32-076-1&Category_Code=all_plugs

They are even located in SoCal.
thanks , i'v seen those but was looking for a two color body. its so the other guys in the band can hook all the speaker wires up right the first time. maybe if geetar amps and speaker used bananas instead of 1/4" plugs it would be easy for them. i might have to paint half the plug red. it doesnt matter if they are gold plated or stainless.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »

I have never seen a bi-color dual banana plug. What would the point be? They are already differentiated as to which side is hot and which is ground by the ground tab on the side which can even be identified in the dark, or when you can't get your head far enough into the back of the rack.

Mac
its so the other guys in the band can lend a hand plugging all the speaker wires in the right way. they cant seem to get it right. they only seem to understand the 1/4" plug. what can i say ! i'm just a drummer !

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:25:11 AM »

its so the other guys in the band can lend a hand plugging all the speaker wires in the right way. they cant seem to get it right. they only seem to understand the 1/4" plug. what can i say ! i'm just a drummer !
Jeff,

Apparently "two" is too many variables for them to handle.

My first recommendation is building a patch panel using XLR and SpeakOn connectors.  Practically foolproof and definitely idiotproof while under supervision.

My second is to use colored e-tape on the appropriate connections to differentiate which connection is which.  Unless a member of the group is colorblind, it should work alright.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »

I avoid banana plugs completely, unless it is for testing or very non-critical applications. Banana plugs can become loose and fall out. They can be plugged in incorrectly. They can actually melt or deform under high-current applications.
They are convenient.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »

i think i will do it the messy way(for me it messy) and paint one side of the red bananas white for the amps run in bridges mono. paint one side of the red banans black for the amps run in stereo. i just painted one of the red connectors on the bridged amp white. this will have to do. on a side note i'v had electricians(thats what they said they were) that had over 5 years in the trade that couldnt figure out how to read prints or tell the difference between an 8 or 6 number stamped on a wire. it was mind boggling ! i'm suppose to be the stupid one cause i'm from......south missippi ! you like my white painted binding post in the foto ? thanks for the replys.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:05:18 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »

How about just putting bright red nail polish on one side? Might be easier to apply than paint?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »

Seems like more work than my idea...

Give them the end that plugs into the cabinet and just plug the banana plugs in yourself.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.