ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey pv 118  (Read 5195 times)

John Luty

Peavey pv 118
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »

does anyone have any comments on these? I'm using a 15 inch sub right now and would like a little more . I found a set used for $375 that is like new what do you think?

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Re: Peavey pv 118
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »

These seem to be rather weak subs.  Their power ratings don't really bring much to life in music.  If you hit the cabinets hard enough with power, you will probably blow the 1/4" speaker connector out of the back.  The SPL is a bit weak.

If anything, I would probably use these for a home stereo.

If you want to stay with Peavey, you should look at the SP line.

It really depends on what your needing and expectations are.

Mark G. Hinge

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:33 PM »

I have experience with them from many years ago.  If that’s where your budget is, I’d say it might be worth doing.  If you’re doing small rooms, they definitely add some bootie.

I used them many times in a small bar nearby, at least 24’x60’ (probably bigger), playing music/karaoke (mostly music), stacked in a corner with a 15” Yamaha Club on each side, and a Yamaha powered mixer giving each cab 200-watts, and had all the bottom I could want or ask for. 

Once outdoors for a tiny street festival for a Spanish band, same tops but a power amp giving each ~325 watts… even walked down the street and they were thumping pretty good. 

And this was using their internal crossovers, which are set, who-knows-where… Cross them at 100hz, and they’d likely sound much better.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:34:57 AM »

does anyone have any comments on these? I'm using a 15 inch sub right now and would like a little more . I found a set used for $375 that is like new what do you think?
I used these for a while and liked them quite well. If you are use to a single 15, they will make you happy.

The weakest part in my experience is the internal crossover. If you get these and you have a decent limiter, I would bypass it. I ran mine flat out at 300w per channel and never had trouble with the driver, only the crossovers.

Use proper limiting, high-pass, and don't overpower them and you should be fine.

Finally, $375 is steep for these used, even in new condition. (bragging alert) I got my pair a couple years ago in decent shape for $200. If I couldn't find them for at most half retail, I wouldn't buy.

Mike Steines

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »

I Had a pair of these awhile ago, They don't handle much power at all, and dont put out a WHOLE lot of bass. Personally I wouldnt pay more then $200 for the set. After replacing the drivers in mine I sold them for 150.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.