ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controller for LightJockey?  (Read 18390 times)

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
Controller for LightJockey?
« on: March 30, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »

<blockquote> Hello lighting gurus...

Besides the now discontinued Martin "Fingers" unit are there other fader packs and/or controllers that can provide a tactile control surface for a LightJockey system?  I can't fin anything on their website.  Seems some folks are using the Behringer BCF2000.  Anyone used that? </blockquote>     
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

James Feenstra

Re: Controller for LightJockey?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »

I *believe* any midi controller will work with LJ, but don't hold me to that

as far as how much control you'll actually get from it, however, I couldn't tell you as you can't pay me enough to use light jockey haha
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Chris Buford

• SR Forums
  • Richmond, VA
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

Besides the now discontinued Martin "Fingers" unit are there other fader packs and/or controllers that can provide a tactile control surface for a LightJockey system?  I can't fin anything on their website.  Seems some folks are using the Behringer BCF2000.  Anyone used that? </blockquote>   

There are 2 methods I use.

The BCF2000 works great, but you need to use a 3rd party program called LJ_Faders (there should be a thread on it in the LJ Forums).

It gets a little complicated but the software translates the MIDI to DMX in on LJ.

In LJ Faders (which i think comes set up with a BCF2000 profile, people have started to use the Korg NanoKontrollers as well I think) you have to assign each fader/rotary encoder a DMX channel. I make the faders 1-8 and the knobs 9-16. Then in Light Jockey, you go to the DMX In section (making sure you turn it on, and assign those channels to whatever functions you want (Intensity groups, macro size/speed, HTP groups, hazer fan/level, etc)

For the buttons, you assign them directly within LJ faders. It will give you window where you can select cues, or sequences to flash, or LJ functions (light bumping INT groups)

It's really quite nice once you get it set up, but it can be a pain in the beginning. Also the software has been in perpetual BETA (I think he gave up on it) so it has its quirks and I have had to quickly close and reboot it (just the faders program, not LJ).

Something more reliable is just using a small regular console (this assumes you have a 2 universe box and can use one for DMX in). I've taken a 12 channel Leprecon console and assigned those 12 faders using the same DMX in page. A nice advantage of that is that you can still use the subgroup programming and bump button functionality of a standard console.

Another hand thing is setting up a button screen using LJ Manager (should have been included in the LJ install) and getting a touch screen monitor.

Let me know if you have any more questions. LJ is all we could afford and after having years behind it I've learned a lot of tricks to make it much more than "DJ" lighting software.

James, maybe one day I'll get to play with a Jands Vista :D

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »

Thanks for that info Chris.  We're going to try out a few different things.  I'll let you know how it goes.
www.interzonestudios.com

James Feenstra

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »

Chris is you're every in Toronto I can likely make that happen, considering I have access to six of them!
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »

So how about using a Chauvet Stage Designer 50 with LJ Faders?  Should work right? MIDI out of the Chauvet unit into a MIDI-USB adapter into LJ Faders?
www.interzonestudios.com

Richard Turner

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »

even more old school the 2532 direct acces control surface

serial port input

106 buttons

basically a maxtrix style cuepoint console. I've used it but for most small shows its just as easy to use a mouse and click, does make playback with tons of cuepoints easy, not of any use for programming moving heads scanners etc which is what I'm guessing you were looking for.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.