ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: QRX 212/75 Problem - Big Problem  (Read 12626 times)

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
QRX 212/75 Problem - Big Problem
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:00:36 am »

Used my two QRX 212/75's at a St. Patrick's event a few weeks ago. Brand new, first time using them.

At the end of the night before I could turn the amps off, some idiot cut the power. There was a thud through the system but not what I would call extreme.

Fast forward to this weekend, setup and turn everything on and I find I have no mids... I check and triple check everything.. My 218's are passing lows and the horns on the 212's are passing highs but no mids are present (bi-amp system on the 212's).. I quickly reconfigure everything and switch the 212's to passive and still only getting highs through the horn. I grab a Yamaha monitor and connect it in place of the 212 and low and behold I am getting full range (minus the subs going to the 218's).

Is it possible I toasted all 4 of the twelves in the two 212's???

I double, triple, quadruple checked the inputs and the switch position on the 212's..

I am stumped..

Also I bought the 212's new, when I took them out of the box I noticed the grill on one of the has dimples from the little blocks of wood that sits between the speakers to hold out the grill so I was going to see about having that checked. I know it is not related but can the build quality be that bad.

Any thoughts?
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
Re: QRX 212/75 Problem - Big Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:17:29 pm »

Pull a driver and check it w/a meter.
From the search I just ran, the woofers in those cabs seem to blow before the highs do.

They're under warranty aren't they?

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:31:55 pm »

Pull a driver and check it w/a meter.
From the search I just ran, the woofers in those cabs seem to blow before the highs do.

They're under warranty aren't they?

Only a few weeks old and purchased from an authorized dealer. But does the warranty cover blowing them?
Steven Alves

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »

Only a few weeks old and purchased from an authorized dealer. But does the warranty cover blowing them?

Just take it back and say "these don't work". Don't volunteer any more info than that. In the past EV was VERY lenient on their repair policy. I've had many subs reconed that were obviously blown by misuse. I don't know how goos EV's service is now, but it's worth a shot.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:35:31 pm »

for testing... if you put in a pair of 12's into the holes, do they receive power?

Have you checked the 12's to see if they are "open"?

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 02:07:45 pm »

for testing... if you put in a pair of 12's into the holes, do they receive power?

Have you checked the 12's to see if they are "open"?

Have not pulled the drivers yet. I am going to call my dealer and see how they want to handle.
Steven Alves

Steven warner

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:39:37 pm »

Have not pulled the drivers yet. I am going to call my dealer and see how they want to handle.

build quality should NOT be the problem with these. Pull the drivers and put a meter on them. Ive been through quite a few tops and I love them. They aren't known as having flimsy components either, within reason of course

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:04:03 pm »

Used my two QRX 212/75's at a St. Patrick's event a few weeks ago. Brand new, first time using them.

At the end of the night before I could turn the amps off, some idiot cut the power. There was a thud through the system but not what I would call extreme.

Fast forward to this weekend, setup and turn everything on and I find I have no mids... I check and triple check everything.. My 218's are passing lows and the horns on the 212's are passing highs but no mids are present (bi-amp system on the 212's).. I quickly reconfigure everything and switch the 212's to passive and still only getting highs through the horn. I grab a Yamaha monitor and connect it in place of the 212 and low and behold I am getting full range (minus the subs going to the 218's).

Is it possible I toasted all 4 of the twelves in the two 212's???

I double, triple, quadruple checked the inputs and the switch position on the 212's..

I am stumped..

Also I bought the 212's new, when I took them out of the box I noticed the grill on one of the has dimples from the little blocks of wood that sits between the speakers to hold out the grill so I was going to see about having that checked. I know it is not related but can the build quality be that bad.
Any thoughts?
Both of my pairs have little dimples too though they are many years old. No one notices.

Since they are brand new, just call the dealer and have em fixed.

For the future, perhaps we can figure out why they died and prevent it from happening again.

What is the signal chain (mixer, eq, crossover, amps) you are using?
Make and model.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »

Both of my pairs have little dimples too though they are many years old. No one notices.

Since they are brand new, just call the dealer and have em fixed.

For the future, perhaps we can figure out why they died and prevent it from happening again.

What is the signal chain (mixer, eq, crossover, amps) you are using?
Make and model.

Yamaha 01v96i ---> Driverack 260 with EV recommended settings--->

Each side has a matching amp rack with the following:
Mackie M2600 Bridged Lows - Crown 2500 Bridged Mids - Mackie M800 Stereo Highs

The second channel on the 800's are unused.
Steven Alves

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:30:38 pm »

Yamaha 01v96i ---> Driverack 260 with EV recommended settings--->

Each side has a matching amp rack with the following:
Mackie M2600 Bridged Lows - Crown 2500 Bridged Mids - Mackie M800 Stereo Highs

The second channel on the 800's are unused.
I am not familiar with the amp you are using on the mids. Is there more info on the model? I use a QSC PLX3402 on my mids - one cabinet per channel.
Where are the gains on the amp set? I prefer to leave mine wide open or clockwise so if someone were to change something, the most would be it would et quieter.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:30:38 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.