ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to mic this stage ??  (Read 19824 times)

Kenny Deal

Re: How to mic this stage ??
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »

Yeah I may be better off just telling them I simply don't have the equipment to do it properly. I may still give them 1 or 2 mics and one top FOH so they can do announcement etc.
I'll talk it over with the play director. I wish I could do more but I don't have the money to buy all those mics and these are young children who probably would not like them anyway.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »

Here are just some of the 16 wireless units I used to "The music man". this box of shure SLX cost $450 / for 3 days.

Please send me the contact information for your wireless supplier.  Around here for $450/3 days
you'd be looking at 7 or 8 PGX.......and you supply your own mics.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »

Please send me the contact information for your wireless supplier.  Around here for $450/3 days
you'd be looking at 7 or 8 PGX.......and you supply your own mics.

By some miracle the strange uncoordinated mishmash of SLX ULX Sennheisers and Samsons worked out this time. I would hate to try it at anything above high school level.

The system shown in the picture is several years old and from a local sound provider. I came to me straight from a production of "south Pacific".  I assumed they got a special deal but I just called and was quoted $12.50 per day per channel used, minimum of 6 channels.  I put it on reserve for an upcoming play in 2 months.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »

I have stages full of kids all the time and simply put up four inexpensive (CAD M177) LD mics and everything works out great.

Tell the kids to walk up to the mic to talk.

It really shouldn't be that expensive or that complicated to pick up a bunch of kids on stage. Even the lowly MXL 990 really really cheap condenser mics work just fine in that environment.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »

I have stages full of kids all the time and simply put up four inexpensive (CAD M177) LD mics and everything works out great.

Tell the kids to walk up to the mic to talk.

It really shouldn't be that expensive or that complicated to pick up a bunch of kids on stage. Even the lowly MXL 990 really really cheap condenser mics work just fine in that environment.
I will run that by the teacher. I have Sm58's

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »

I will run that by the teacher. I have Sm58's

Whatever Mic'g scheme you choose/use ...make certain that you run a couple of rehearsals with the kids... because if they're anything like most adults without any Mic experience... they'll get quieter and quieter as they hear themselves in the system.

For some reason..people are afraid of their own voice.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »

Whatever Mic'g scheme you choose/use ...make certain that you run a couple of rehearsals with the kids... because if they're anything like most adults without any Mic experience... they'll get quieter and quieter as they hear themselves in the system.

For some reason..people are afraid of their own voice.

Hammer

I call that "CEO SYNDROME".  The six and seven figure suits who, after a short course in mic technique, take your wireless mic out in front of the crowd and proceed to lower it to their belt buckle when they hear their own voice, then glare at you and make "up, up" hand motions wanting you to compensate for their total lack of brain cell (singular intentional). 

Rant (temporarily) over.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »

I call that "CEO SYNDROME".  The six and seven figure suits who, after a short course in mic technique, take your wireless mic out in front of the crowd and proceed to lower it to their belt buckle when they hear their own voice, then glare at you and make "up, up" hand motions wanting you to compensate for their total lack of brain cell (singular intentional). 

Rant (temporarily) over.......

Yeah...had three of these shows this past week where the executive talked quieter and quieter as the presentations progressed...   luckily for her...she didn't try to give me any physical signs or, say anything stupid into the Mic about her lack of (self-imposed) level.

I wanted them to use some countryman head piece mics, but, they insisted on lavs.  >:(  Then, on show day, instead of wearing a Woman's business suit...like usual/ rehearsal...she wore a low cut sweater showing her old-but ample cleavage. :-[   The closest I could clip the Mic was at least a foot from her chin...

Normally, I could have given more gain, but, the way the room was set up, based on their insistance...I couldn't do much.  (I hate the amateur creative types)

The exasperating thing...is that I insisted on a rehearsal to counter the chase the level syndrome, but... even after stopping her three times during the reheasal and reminding her...her voice would still trail off... ::)

She's lucky she didn't announce anything into the Mic...as being my fault... I'd have killed the system and walked off the gig.

Hammer

Damn tired of amateur talent....
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »

I think in this case that finding the best speaker placement will be of the most help in making the play happen.

Given the layout in the video 12" speakers in crank up stands with a downward tilt (if possible) would work the best. they should be places in front of the stage and pointed so that no one at a microphone can see the front of a speaker.

In a cavernlike multipurpose room this can reduce slapback echos by having the audience absorb much of the HF content.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

Well I did the play tonight. It went better than I thought. I put 2 58's up front. It was a play about a hospital so most of the time they were by the beds or two tables so I set up border mics on the tables , I put 58's on booms by the beds and tables and overall it wasn't bad. was it ideal ?? No . I had to push the mics to the edge but I stayed on them and everyone was very happy so it can be done. Actually when they were by the tables and beds it was quite clear. Only when they were in the middle of the stage was it weak but some of the kids projected very well and the mics got it. I also bought two cheap Nady shotgun mics thinking they would help but they were completely worthless...I didn't expect much for the 29$ each they cost  . The 2 border mics were Shure's. They worked not bad.
I ran a total of 8 mic in various locations.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.