ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to mic this stage ??  (Read 17201 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: How to mic this stage ??
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 11:41:06 pm »

Did any of the kids have to use the lav.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 01:15:57 am »

Well I did the play tonight. It went better than I thought. I put 2 58's up front. It was a play about a hospital so most of the time they were by the beds or two tables so I set up border mics on the tables , I put 58's on booms by the beds and tables and overall it wasn't bad. was it ideal ?? No . I had to push the mics to the edge but I stayed on them and everyone was very happy so it can be done. Actually when they were by the tables and beds it was quite clear. Only when they were in the middle of the stage was it weak but some of the kids projected very well and the mics got it. I also bought two cheap Nady shotgun mics thinking they would help but they were completely worthless...I didn't expect much for the 29$ each they cost  . The 2 border mics were Shure's. They worked not bad.
I ran a total of 8 mic in various locations.

Welcome to live theater!   here's one I just wrapped up.   A shotgun mice is taped to the top of the flat with the arch painted on it.  It is covering the high stage built on a scaffold. PCC's on main stage and "the underworld".  They opted no to use any wireless due to costume and movement considerations.  The play was "Eruydice"

Kenny Deal

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »

Did any of the kids have to use the lav.
No. I really didn't have a chance to look into borrowing the 2 from the Pastors and there wasn't really a lead actor persay. It was more of a General mic scenario. I talked it over with the drama teacher today. They were very happy with it but I told them it could be better next year if we move the mics closer to the center of the stage. If they were 2 ft closer I think it would have been alot better but like I was told by the principal and some of the parents. Anything is better than nothing. Last year they could not hear it at all. My biggest gripe was on was right on the edge of a mid range ring I could not get rid of. It was probably no noticible to the audience but I heard it and there was just too many mics and no enough sound check to find the culprit. I suspect the one 57 I had center stage left.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 11:40:24 am »

No. I really didn't have a chance to look into borrowing the 2 from the Pastors and there wasn't really a lead actor persay. It was more of a General mic scenario. I talked it over with the drama teacher today. They were very happy with it but I told them it could be better next year if we move the mics closer to the center of the stage. If they were 2 ft closer I think it would have been alot better but like I was told by the principal and some of the parents. Anything is better than nothing. Last year they could not hear it at all. My biggest gripe was on was right on the edge of a mid range ring I could not get rid of. It was probably no noticible to the audience but I heard it and there was just too many mics and no enough sound check to find the culprit. I suspect the one 57 I had center stage left.

Sometimes is noise being produced by a combination of the air handling system and all other environmental noises.  A little gate action can help here.

For my latest production I subgrouped all mics through a FMR RNC compressor set for a severe 6:1 radio above threshold. this prevented blaring when the got loud or made thumping noises on the stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 11:40:24 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.