ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Finding a 4 Zone Pre-Amp/Mixer  (Read 5409 times)

Stanley Ferrand

Need Help Finding a 4 Zone Pre-Amp/Mixer
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »

Hello guys,

I have been looking for a 4 zone pre-amp / mixer that can be controlled with an ir remote. Reason for this, is I plan to use an ipad along with RedEye Pro to remotely control each zones volume and input.

The pre amp / mixer will be then connected to various amps which will power the speakers.

Can someone please recommend something that will do the trick.

Thank you in advance for taking your time.

Stan-

Dave Barker

Re: Need Help Finding a 4 Zone Pre-Amp/Mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »

It is not IR but you could use something like a Symetrix 761 unit with the ARC-WEB app and control things that way.  We have a couple of installs and control our demo package with this and works great.  You can customize with whatever controls you want to give them.

http://www.symetrix.co/products/accessories/arc-adaptive-remote-controls/arc-web/

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »

I have been looking for a 4 zone pre-amp / mixer that can be controlled with an ir remote. Reason for this, is I plan to use an ipad along with RedEye Pro to remotely control each zones volume and input.
Since it is a preamp/mixer, what inputs are needed?  Also, they may call it "Pro" but the RedEye Pro is a residential/home theater product.  It apparently does have two serial ports which is what you might want to consider using to control most pro products, if you really want IR control then you may have better luck with residential products.

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »

Hello guys,

The pre amp / mixer will be then connected to various amps which will power the speakers.

Stan-

check out Australian Monitor for Pro Quality or cheaper route is a Samson S-4.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »

check out Australian Monitor for Pro Quality or cheaper route is a Samson S-4.
Something like the Samson S-zone or the Australian Monitor AMIS ZRM4 may work as far as the audio mixing and routing and may support remote volume control but I believe the remote control is via potentiometers and they do not support IR or serial control.  Perhaps something like the dbx 640 ZonePRO would work if serial control is acceptable.

Marty McCann

• Meridian, Mississippi USA
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »

Hello guys,

Stan-

Not IR, but can have remote Level control via CAT-5:

URL:  http://aa.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/117686/PZS%20140%20RA

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »

Not IR, but can have remote Level control via CAT-5:

URL:  http://aa.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/117686/PZS%20140%20RA
Marty, isn't that control limited to the proprietary matching remotes?  I've encountered this issue on multiple occasions with similar products where the associated proprietary remote controls or potentiometer based volume controls are a great idea for standalone systems but aren't compatible with integrated control systems.  Is there a way to replace the proprietary remote with a serial, voltage ramp, contact closure, TTL logic or similar standard control input?

Clark Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »

It is not IR but you could use something like a Symetrix 761 unit with the ARC-WEB app and control things that way.  We have a couple of installs and control our demo package with this and works great.  You can customize with whatever controls you want to give them.

http://www.symetrix.co/products/accessories/arc-adaptive-remote-controls/arc-web/

I would second the symetrix stuff.  Great equipment, and with the arc web stuff you can do it all from your ipod.  They have a bunch of different systems, some that don't include the arc web, but do have their designer software.  Hook it up to a computer, remote in from your ipad, and you have way more control than you ever thought possible.

The ZRM4 is legit, but I don't think it will do what you are hoping for.  However, the price is much cheaper so if you are looking for that trade off, I would go with the ZRM4 or Rane stuff.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »

Perhaps something like the dbx 640 ZonePRO would work if serial control is acceptable.

We've used these before and I can verify they are serial only. Even with serial control, they are incredibly unwieldy to control with a simple Vol+ Vol- command, i.e. there isn't one. You can only tell this to jump to set audio levels so unless you have access to a slider in your programming you're going to have a tough time with it. ZP 640 is a nice product and has it's place but it doesn't shine in being controlled via 3rd party systems. Also, generating the rs232 strings is easy but you will be amazed at how long of a string it produces for such a simple command.

We've had best luck with Nexia and Audia but those are both rs232 only as well.
Ryan Davis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.