ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Provided lighting for a Benefit concert.  (Read 8656 times)

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
Provided lighting for a Benefit concert.
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »

I received a call 6 hours before showtime to ask if I could provide lighting for a fundraising concert.  I had 2 1/2 hours to setup and program the lighting, all without ever hearing a note played by the band.

Stevie Ray Entertainment was proud to provide lighting services for a benefit concert for Lehighton Area Pool Pals. Featuring the local band A.D.D. (http://www.add-rock.com/)

Lighting provided included
11 Blizzard Puck Unplugged RGBA's
2 Blizzard Torrent 90 Profiles
2 Blizzard Torrent 90 Beams
36 Feet of Global Truss

Controlled by
Blizzard Eclipse Software
Blizzard Lightcaster Wireless DMX and 11 WiCicles. (closest fixture was 74ft. from my broadcast location, furthest fixture was 140ft. away)

A.D.D. Benefit Concert for Lehighton Pool Pals

Concert Video
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:24:26 PM by Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach »
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Provided lighting for a Benefit concert.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »

I received a call 6 hours before showtime to ask if I could provide lighting for a fundraising concert.  I had 2 1/2 hours to setup and program the lighting, all without ever hearing a note played by the band.

Stevie Ray Entertainment was proud to provide lighting services for a benefit concert for Lehighton Area Pool Pals. Featuring the local band A.D.D. (http://www.add-rock.com/)

Lighting provided included
11 Blizzard Puck Unplugged RGBA's
2 Blizzard Torrent 90 Profiles
2 Blizzard Torrent 90 Beams
36 Feet of Global Truss

Controlled by
Blizzard Eclipse Software
Blizzard Lightcaster Wireless DMX and 11 WiCicles. (closest fixture was 74ft. from my broadcast location, furthest fixture was 140ft. away)

A.D.D. Benefit Concert for Lehighton Pool Pals

[video=youtube;HeJgRWOD83E]http://youtu.be/HeJgRWOD83E[/video]

And the point of this post is?

If you'd like a rundown on the services I personally provide in my area, contact me by PM and I'll send you my brag list......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

• Steve Kalbach
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »

If you'd like a rundown on the services I personally provide in my area, contact me by PM and I'll send you my brag list......

The point was not to brag.  This was my first ever concert.  I am a DJ, they called me and asked if I could provide lighting, I obliged, and I thought I would share, so people could give me tips on what I did right, and what I did wrong.

The reason I listed the gear, is because anytime I have ever posted anything like this on any forum, is because the first question is always, what was the gear.  I understand that there are many professional LD's here.  I thought just maybe one might chime in and give some tips on how I can improve.

Thank You.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »

The point was not to brag.  This was my first ever concert.  I am a DJ, they called me and asked if I could provide lighting, I obliged, and I thought I would share, so people could give me tips on what I did right, and what I did wrong.

The reason I listed the gear, is because anytime I have ever posted anything like this on any forum, is because the first question is always, what was the gear.  I understand that there are many professional LD's here.  I thought just maybe one might chime in and give some tips on how I can improve.

Thank You.

OK.  I didn't realize you were a DJ.

• Steve Kalbach
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »

OK.  I didn't realize you were a DJ.

No problem,
Did you see the video? I fixed the link in the OP, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »

Calm down, dick...

Way to pull it together, Steve!  Looks good for your first time and with short notice.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:19:35 PM by Thomas Bishop »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »

Calm down, dick...

Well, there was no question asked and no solicitation of opinions.  I was just wondering what reply was expected.  It was pretty vague and the lack of any  request for input kind of left it in the "looky what I did" category.

Just wondering......

• Steve Kalbach
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »

Thanks Thomas,  I don't think dick, was trying to be a dick, he had a legit point, as I didn't ask for feedback.  I just copied my description from my blog, and forgot to ask for comments, feedback, and tips.  I understand why he thought it was a dick measuring contest.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »

Thanks Thomas,  I don't think dick, was trying to be a dick, he had a legit point, as I didn't ask for feedback.  I just copied my description from my blog, and forgot to ask for comments, feedback, and tips.  I understand why he thought it was a dick measuring contest.

I'm always interested in tech matters.  I was just looking for a question or a request for input on some specific issue.  Without that it kind of left me going, "What?  Where?" 

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »

I'm always interested in tech matters.  I was just looking for a question or a request for input on some specific issue.  Without that it kind of left me going, "What?  Where?"
+1 - it read like sales PR. 

• Steve Kalbach
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 12:11:18 AM »

Again, I apologize, I just copied and pasted from the blog on my web site.  Did you watch the video, and do you have any advice?

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »

Interesting...  There's another forum I frequent that is very supportive of "gig reports" (that's often the start of the subject) so I guess I'm just used to the "in the trenches" kind of sharing that goes on in that community.  Not all forum threads have to be in the ask a question, have it answered format.

Steve, I keep coming back to this thread at night while I'm laying in bed.  I haven't watched the video with sound since I don't think the wife would be too happy about it, but from visual only it's very decent.  My only real suggestion would be to trade the fogger for a hazer and let the stage area fill a bit.  I can see some beamage at the beginning, but a decent hazer will make that rig come to life!  Again, for your first concert and with the time constraints you really pulled it off.  In the end the only thing that matters was if the client was happy.  And since you saved the day I'm sure they were.  So good job.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »

I watched a minute or so of the video. Notes that I would give you are, slow the fuck down with the "flash and trash". Nobody likes that much strobing. If you do strobe, don't do the whole stage. Leave a back color wash up while the movers strobe. This will keep you musicians happy because they'll be able to see things, like each other and what not.

Also try a few more addresses in your par cans. Having all one color for every can on stage is cool about 8% of the time. Try using some color combos that are both complimentary or contrasting. Go back to your grade school color wheel to figure that out.

Rule number one for front lighting. Light the people. You need enough cans to light up the musicians down front before you put cans in the rear.

Also in that vein, the moving lights work better when they are in the rear. I would have put all four movers on the back truss and moved 4 of the pucks down front. I probably would've opted to forego the truss warmers in order to have more cans on the stage. 3 Pucks and 4 movers on the rear truss would be good, and that leaves you 8 pucks to put downstage (front edge of stage).

I also feel like the movers were kind of wasted because they were just always in la-la land spinning around over head. Were you using the built in macros? That's a very DJ thing to do. Get those things down on the stage or in the crowd where they will do some good.

I don't want you to feel like I'm bagging on you here. I think it was a valiant attempt at rock and roll lighting. Just trying to give you some pointers for next time.

Start looking at videos like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1B6SLDg64&feature=related

Yes, He has a couple hundred more lights than you do, but the same principles apply. Notice how the stage never *really* goes dark. Plus notice how much movement you get when the intelligent lights aren't really moving at all...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:28:55 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

• Steve Kalbach
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »

Tim,
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.  Honestly, I brought 20 pucks, but didn't have enough clamps, I normally don't fly my pucks, I usually use them for uplighting.  I appreciate all of the tips, and wish I had the time to properly program the heads.  There were no Macros used, all of the moving head scenes are ones I normally use on the dancefloor when I am DJing.  I will adjust the strobing in the future.  They actually requested the random strobe during the start up.  They didn't want to be seen until the song kicked in.  But I admit I did overuse strobe effects throughout the night.  Next time I shall do better, thanks to you guys, helping me learn from my mistakes.  Thanks alot.

Micky Basiliere

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »

Tim,
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.  Honestly, I brought 20 pucks, but didn't have enough clamps, I normally don't fly my pucks, I usually use them for uplighting.  I appreciate all of the tips, and wish I had the time to properly program the heads.  There were no Macros used, all of the moving head scenes are ones I normally use on the dancefloor when I am DJing.  I will adjust the strobing in the future.  They actually requested the random strobe during the start up.  They didn't want to be seen until the song kicked in.  But I admit I did overuse strobe effects throughout the night.  Next time I shall do better, thanks to you guys, helping me learn from my mistakes.  Thanks alot.

Light up the artists...  follow spots would be nice ... i couldn't see the band! otherwise, good job.

• Steve Kalbach
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »

Light up the artists...  follow spots would be nice ... i couldn't see the band! otherwise, good job.

Thanks Micky, duly noted.

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »

What was said above. There is just too much stuff all changing at one time. It's all blue, then it's all red, then there's crazy near-ceasure inducing strobe lights. It's a concert, not a rave.

Use more addresses for your instruments, and then change them in smaller groups. Blend different colours together. Try to create more continuity from one 'scene' to the next by sharing colour or beam characteristics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.