ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Need recommendations for micing a bunch of ukeleles  (Read 14345 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Need recommendations for micing a bunch of ukeleles
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

And in case, you're not real sure about that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir38tIOQdT0

Well, that's interesting, but this is what I was referencing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8TlgSIhm90

And this is the Skandihoovian version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YRDJ71K30
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rick Doersch

• White Salmon, WA USA
    • Hidden Mountain Productions
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »

Looking for recommendations for mics and micing techniques for ukelele and bass ukelele for live shows with multiple players.  Some of the groups will have two and three ukeleles and up to three vocals, an acoustic bass instead of a bass ukelele, and some groups will have small drum kits.  For the ukeleles, I'm planning on using some SDCs and multiple mixes on multiple wedges to keep the individual monitor levels down, but will always defer to experienced guidance.  I'm wondering whether an ATM350 gaffed to the side of the ukelele might work.  My concern is GBF and getting a decent tone from the instruments when the players are moving around: some of the artists are more disciplined than others.

Ukes are big in this area. The music stores sell just about as much in money as guitars. Schools are using them as a replacement for traditional music programs which have had massive budget cuts.
Just a few weeks ago I did a uke festival which ended up being about 10 hours of show time  all with 20 min sets in 2 venues. i was not able to preset a system in 2nd venue so we had to do a quick move in between shows. I did the festival just like any other accoustic festival with a bunch of vocal mics and 4 DI's(countrymans) which stayed hooked up for all bands and muted when not used. Most of the ukes had pickups in them so we had 1/4 inch cords hanging on the mic stands. I had a couple of instrument mics hooked up and tested  on stands in case we needed them but only used them a couple of times over weekend. SDC are my last choice in this kind for this kind of music, they seem to be stable one moment then ringing like crazy the next. If I have to use mics I use hypercards. My fav is senn 441's but have used audix i5 or even om6 vocal mics with  good results.
here is a clip from our sat night show in a local wine bar. The audio is from camera mic so not great but not too bad. and yes it even has a accordian in the band she is great player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYDPmUwZY_0

The whole thing with this kind of music is to have fun!

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »

Seems this hasn't been posted yet.
Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britian

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:27:39 PM by Chris Davis »

Rick Doersch

• White Salmon, WA USA
    • Hidden Mountain Productions
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 02:53:37 PM »

Here is another clip from the uke fest

Very good local boys......rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K2hB4-HN8c

Ukes are big in this area. The music stores sell just about as much in money as guitars. Schools are using them as a replacement for traditional music programs which have had massive budget cuts.
Just a few weeks ago I did a uke festival which ended up being about 10 hours of show time  all with 20 min sets in 2 venues. i was not able to preset a system in 2nd venue so we had to do a quick move in between shows. I did the festival just like any other accoustic festival with a bunch of vocal mics and 4 DI's(countrymans) which stayed hooked up for all bands and muted when not used. Most of the ukes had pickups in them so we had 1/4 inch cords hanging on the mic stands. I had a couple of instrument mics hooked up and tested  on stands in case we needed them but only used them a couple of times over weekend. SDC are my last choice in this kind for this kind of music, they seem to be stable one moment then ringing like crazy the next. If I have to use mics I use hypercards. My fav is senn 441's but have used audix i5 or even om6 vocal mics with  good results.
here is a clip from our sat night show in a local wine bar. The audio is from camera mic so not great but not too bad. and yes it even has a accordian in the band she is great player.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »

So the clip for the AT Pro7(0) attaches to the edge of the sound hole, and ukelele (and other similar instrument) players generally don't squawk overmuch?

The Audio Technica AT8444 is a useful gizmo.

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=6&subID=49&prodID=3413
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »

Definitely fun  :) Was the percussion miked at all (couldn't see anything) or just picked up direct by the camera? Sounded pretty well blended with everything else, however it was done.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »

The cheap options would be 58, Beta 58, beta 57, even a 57.  The DPA 4099's are great, but as pointed out, as good as they are often way beyond many peoples budgets.  Personally I would stay away from most condensers for this application for purely the reason of GBF, however, this really depends on the rest of the instrumentation of the band, with drums outside of clip style condensers stage level will kill you, hence the Beta 57 would be my cheap preference.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »

phfffttt...

I'd mic them with a couple of stand mounted condenser mics and call it a day...

Good Luck,

Hammer

+ 1

I'd be hesitant about attaching any mic, especially my 4099's to a gaggle of ukes.    I'll venture out on a limb and posit that the players perhaps don't have that much pro experience playing with a pro sound system and possibility of damage to the mic increases.   I keep a few C418's and C419's in the kit for quickly attaching to anything that suddenly needs a mic.   A few years ago I made the mistake of clipping to bodhran's at a 3 day Celtic Fest.   By the end of the weekend, I had cables torn from 2 mics as the players exited the stage while mic still attached to drum...   lesson learned.

PS  To close loop on previous thought in this thread:    Perfect pitch is when the accordion clears the lip of the dumpster and lands on the uke.    (or banjo or whatever annoying instrument is present)
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 04:25:24 AM »

The cheap options would be 58, Beta 58, beta 57, even a 57.  The DPA 4099's are great, but as pointed out, as good as they are often way beyond many peoples budgets.  Personally I would stay away from most condensers for this application for purely the reason of GBF, however, this really depends on the rest of the instrumentation of the band, with drums outside of clip style condensers stage level will kill you, hence the Beta 57 would be my cheap preference.

On the level of doing the practical thing......using what you have and considering the opinions given so far, I'd now offer that a "mixed use" approach be considered.  A couple of SDC's for overall pickup augmented by a few lavs  to get some strong, close-miked signal to pump up the sound as needed.

Or as a friend of "sound mind" once said, "Give everyone a mic.  Turn on the ones you need to make it work."
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

andy craig

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »

Seems this hasn't been posted yet.
Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britian

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain request SDC for instrument mics. Their preferred model is the Neumann Km184. It is a bit hair-raising getting enough level in the monitors, but it is possible.

andy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.