ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How rider-friendly is the Avid SC48?  (Read 16745 times)

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
Re: How rider-friendly is the Avid SC48?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »

are now receiving feedback from a third party that the SC48 is not at all rider-friendly and that there are better, more rider-friendly options out there for less money.

This guy's full of it and like others have already pointed out he probably has some agenda.  "Not a full digital board?"  That doesn't even make sense.  Get the '48.  You'll be happier, your artists will be happier and so will the visiting engineers.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

alan hamilton

• Hamilton Systems
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:38 PM »

I am currently in the midst of an install in a 1300 seat auditorium. The auditorium will be used to bring in Christian touring acts ranging from Jeremy Camp, Newsboys, Casting Crowns, to Kutless and Skillet.

We were 99% set on installing an Avid Venue SC48, but are now receiving feedback from a third party that the SC48 is not at all rider-friendly and that there are better, more rider-friendly options out there for less money. The only other desk I can think of that would be rider-friendly in this price range would be the M7, but I feel it's days are numbered. I just saw the SC48 in action this past weekend for RED, and it sounded excellent.

Can someone give me the truth on the rider-friendliness of this console?

I've seen SC48's on riders that had "No M7" on it....

I agree with everyone else... M7 or SC48 either one will suffice but I can imagine the preferred choice wouldn't be the SC48 the majority of the time.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »

I smell b.s. with an agenda.  What is "a full digital board"?  On the SC48, even the console lights are digital (optional LEDs).

The primary limitation of the SC48 has been expansion.  With the release of VENUE 3.0 and some clever hardware, it can be a console with remote i/o racks and more than 48 physical inputs.  There is still only room for 2 "mix engine" cards in the console and that limits the processing available for plug ins, but hardly a deal breaker for most users.  If those earlier expansion limits are part of Debbie Downer's problem, the same issue exists with the Yammy M7.
They may mean that it is not digital snake based and that points out that what M7CL version or system is being referenced could be relevant.

I can see bands coming up to that level possibly having show files for an M7CL but not a SC48.  And I can see the SC48 maybe not being the best choice for local acts or users that may not be familiar with it.  But what are they suggesting as being more rider friendly that isn't also a significant step up in cost?

Scott Devlin

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »

I have a meeting on this in about 2 hours. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again!

Scott Devlin

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »

Well, I am out of the meeting, we hashed it all out, and I am ordering an SC48. The gentlemen did not yet understand that Avid had purchased Digidesign and that we were actually talking about a "Digidesign" console. After 24 hours of pure stress, I can now breathe freely...

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »

Well, I am out of the meeting, we hashed it all out, and I am ordering an SC48. The gentlemen did not yet understand that Avid had purchased Digidesign and that we were actually talking about a "Digidesign" console. After 24 hours of pure stress, I can now breathe freely...

Yay for you. Have fun with it.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 02:58:37 PM »

Haha....

Michael Wawrzyk

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »

Not to muck up the issue to much, but now the Yamaha CL5 or CL3 will be a competitor at close to the same price point. Maybe something to research before grabbing the SC48

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »

Not to muck up the issue to much, but now the Yamaha CL5 or CL3 will be a competitor at close to the same price point. Maybe something to research before grabbing the SC48
The OP is looking for rider friendly equipment.

Andre

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »

I am currently in the midst of an install in a 1300 seat auditorium. The auditorium will be used to bring in Christian touring acts ranging from Jeremy Camp, Newsboys, Casting Crowns, to Kutless and Skillet.

We were 99% set on installing an Avid Venue SC48, but are now receiving feedback from a third party that the SC48 is not at all rider-friendly and that there are better, more rider-friendly options out there for less money. The only other desk I can think of that would be rider-friendly in this price range would be the M7, but I feel it's days are numbered. I just saw the SC48 in action this past weekend for RED, and it sounded excellent.

Can someone give me the truth on the rider-friendliness of this console?

I'm currently in the middle of a tour hitting a lot of churches this size, and I do a fair number of "bus" one-offs and fly dates with one of the bands as well.  On the tour, we'll use the inferior console and snake we're touring with (tt24) even if there's a Profile, M7, 5D, or SD9 (examples we've run into) in the house system simply for speed reasons.  I would rather have one of those other consoles (or an SC48, or an iLive, or a GLD for that matter) on the road with us, but I'm not going to reprogram IEM mixes for three bands; it would just add too much time to our load-in.  The musicians mostly run their own mic lines to our snake, so they know where to plug them in, and using house mic lines instead would just bog that down too much.  Even if I had show files for those other consoles - or even if the house console was another tt24 - we would use our own desk and our snake simply for speed reasons.

That's for our tour dates.  For one-offs and fly dates, we just use whatever is available as long as it's reasonably decent.  I've run into everything from a Soundcraft MH4 to PM1Ds; the SC48 would be firmly in the "excited to see it" category.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.