ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podium mics..  (Read 4833 times)

Al Rettich

Podium mics..
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »

Need a little advice..
Working a corporate event. Got a DM1000. Using a TC EQ Station as house EQ. Have 2 open channels. Wondering if I can take the snake line directly into the EQ station out of the EQ station into the console to get its 48v. Will this hurt the EQ station? a 4 band parametric EQ is quite difficult on a podium mic..

Thoughts?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Podium mics..
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »

No, the outboard EQ will not pass the phantom power thru to the mic plus it will adversely affect the signal to noise ratio to an unacceptable level. If you are only running one lectern mic you can send the lectern mic channel to the outboard EQ via an omni out and return it to your remaining channel.  Take your primary mic channel off the mix buss and use the EQ return channel as the lectern channel.  Dual podium mics and its time to install some analog MY cards to provide insert capability or install an AES card in the TC EQ.

Need a little advice..
Working a corporate event. Got a DM1000. Using a TC EQ Station as house EQ. Have 2 open channels. Wondering if I can take the snake line directly into the EQ station out of the EQ station into the console to get its 48v. Will this hurt the EQ station? a 4 band parametric EQ is quite difficult on a podium mic..

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:37:13 PM by Riley Casey »

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »

No, the outboard EQ will not pass the phantom power thru to the mic plus it will adversely affect the signal to noise ratio to an unacceptable level. If you are only running one lectern mic you can send the lectern mic channel to the outboard EQ via an omni out and return it to your remaining channel.  Take your primary mic channel off the mix buss and use the EQ return channel as the lectern channel.  Dual podium mics and its time to install some analog MY cards to provide insert capability or install an AES card in the TC EQ.

+1

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Al Rettich

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »

Sadly, using all 12 omni outputs.. :(

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »

Never really thought of electronics as being sad or happy - just working or not working - problem solved or in need of solution.  Of course I've always thought I lacked imagination.  Another alternative, if the AES in / outs are still available would be to route the lectern channel direct outs to the AES out, loop that to the AES input and route that to a pair of channels on the alternate layer and run those to the mix buss.  That would give you eight bands of parametric but still no EQ faders to grab.  Generally speaking I use the parametrics almost exclusively these days - third octaves are so passe.  ::)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:47:35 PM by Riley Casey »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »

Al.....

I use the insertable models, but I believe the mic level unit might work for you.

http://www.sabine.com/sabine-professional-audio/FBX-SOLO-SM820.htm

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 11:36:29 PM »

if you're that strapped for outputs you could solo it and use the headphone jack... just don't change your mind!
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:08:47 AM »

IIRC the EQ station is a line level device.  Were you to use it in line with a mic (dynamic or self powered) you'd have a lot of noise.

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:42 AM »

What about Podium mic to outboard mic pre to EQ Station, to line in on the DM. Assumes you have or can source a mic pre.
Larry Sheehan - San Gabriel Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:42 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.