ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LED house lights  (Read 6306 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: LED house lights
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:16 am »

LEDs lose output over time. Similar to discharge lamps. Therefore this "50 year life" - what's going to happen in say 20 years, is the light level still going to be sufficient? Dimmable CFL would provide more lumens per watt at a cheaper price, and probably last longer in the confined space (albeit taking time to warm up)

The difficulty is that people expect to get replacement lamps in LED or CFL, and have the same level of output they had with regular lamps. But to get the best results, new fixtures are often required that address some of the issues that make LED/CFL lamps difficult. For example, T5 high output fluro is heaps of light output, would fit into a 3 ft housing no sweat... but would require some engineering to do so. Dimmable ballasts are no problem, instant-on too.

Cheers
David (who used to work in residential lighting for a couple of years)
I've had generally very poor experience with CFL bulbs.  In addition to mercury content (http://www.thecoolblogs.com/2010/11/safe-use-and-disposal-guide-light-bulbs.html), I've not found them to last any longer than a conventional bulb.

I agree that new fixtures is often the best solution.

James Feenstra

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:49:20 am »

No one knows this, and I've never heard any manufacturer claim anything close.  The Philips EnduraLED bulbs I am using are rated at 45000 hours, with the assumption that they are on at least 8 hours a day.  At best, that's 20 years, and even then there's no track record to base that on, other than A LOT of extrapolation from a short period of testing.
45-50,000 hours (which is what most manufactures publish) @ 20-25 hours per week (ops useage) = 34.61 to 48.08 years...but as the technology hasn't been around that long I agree there's no way to be certain

At the moment, I don't know of a 100w A-lamp replacement LED bulb.  Philips has a 60 watt replacement, but that's not going to give the same light output that the OP is used to.  It's very likely that in another year there will be a good replacement.
the highest i've seen was equivalent to an 80w bulb, although not from a 'named' company

So, the OP can either spend $4350 today on the wrong bulbs, or wait a year, pay a few hundred dollars in extra electricity, and likely spend $3000 on the right bulbs when they come out, and be not only money ahead, but will have a better result.
it's about $2000 in extra electricity based on 20-25/hrs a week useage for that many 100w bulbs...anyways, there may also be energy tax incentives in the area (I don't know for sure...we have them up here) where you get huge tax credits for lowering your energy useage
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:49:20 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.