ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blurry projection and signal drop  (Read 10439 times)

jacob church

Re: Blurry projection and signal drop
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:21 AM »

The signal path was originally, desktop pc > 85ft rapidrun vga > TH2G > 3 vga's to projectors (1 approx 15ft, 2 approx 50ft).  The pc didn't have enough juice to get there, the pictures were intermittent. I added the Kramer amp and then everything worked fine. It's connected to the PC with a short vga, I think the same one that came packaged with the TH2G. So it's a nice quality cable as well.

The first one was the VP-200N I think, the new one is the successor to that as I understand their product line, the 200k.  They are virtually identical. It has a couple settings on it that I don't fully understand, but I tried changing them.

The TH2G does not have USB, it receives VGA.

Brian Tennyson

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »

So some run to a Kramer VGA amp, then 95' with two connections to a TH2G and then another 50' or so to the projector.  That is getting to be a decent total run, especially with the multiple intermediate devices and connections.  But since it apparently was working that by itself should not be the problem.
Since everything apparently did work prior to the storms, that tends to suggest either a device damaged by the storms or some settingd that were lost or changed due to storm related issues.  The fact that it is affecting all three projectors also indicates it is either in the signal chain before all three projectors or something that affected all three projectors equally.

If it was the computer then that should have been resolved when you tried a different computer.  I'm not sure what Kramer amplifier you have, you mentioned replacing it but if it has EQ, peaking, gain or similar controls then it could still be some of those settings (i.e. if the peaking or EQ circuit was damaged then replacing that device with a unit with those adjustments set flat may still have the same issues).  It could also be settings in the projectors, especially if they are on the same power then anything that caused one projector to reset could have affected all three.

There was a storm? I missed that. 20 bucks says its the cheep VGA amp. Get thee to a rental house and rent a good one. Also, go invest in a really good UPS like the Tripp Lite Smart 500RT.

jacob church

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »

Yes, to the best of my memory the problem started after a series of storms, but I can't be sure.  The kramer unit worked perfectly for a year, and has now been replaced with another one.  "Good" is a relative term, but this is as good as my budget gets right now.

As part of a different project I have added a 1000 watt Tripplite isolation transformer to the foh desk where the pc and kramer is located.

Brian Tennyson

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »

Yes, to the best of my memory the problem started after a series of storms, but I can't be sure.  The kramer unit worked perfectly for a year, and has now been replaced with another one.  "Good" is a relative term, but this is as good as my budget gets right now.

As part of a different project I have added a 1000 watt Tripplite isolation transformer to the foh desk where the pc and kramer is located.

So the Kramer unit didn't fix the issue?

jacob church

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »

No.  I've replaced everything I thought to be a potential problem.  The PC, Kramer, and Th2G.

Brian Tennyson

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »

No.  I've replaced everything I thought to be a potential problem.  The PC, Kramer, and Th2G.

Then I would rent some lower (higher? bigger?) gauge cable and see if that makes a difference. Not sure why it would suddenly change, but it's the next logical step.

jacob church

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »

I can look in to it.  But isn't rapid run made for situations like this, long runs through conduit next to other cabling? It's a big heavy duty cable.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »

I can look in to it.  But isn't rapid run made for situations like this, long runs through conduit next to other cabling? It's a big heavy duty cable.
What other cabling?  Hopefully not power or even speaker lines.

RapidRun VGA cable is actually fairly light gage, with 28AWG coax conductors it is lighter gage than Extron's MHR cable, which uses 26AWG conductors, which is in turn lighter than Extron's 24AWG High Resolution cable, Canare's 22AWG V-5C or Extron's 18AWG conductor Super High Resolution cable.  In other words, it is not at all big, heavy duty cable, it is actually rather small, light duty cable for the application.

RapidRun runners are also either CL2 rated for in-wall or above ceiling installations or CMP rated for plenum use, both ratings that are normally associated with exposed use without conduit.  That does not mean they can't be run in conduit, but they isn't necessarily the intent.

If you have a Kramer VP-200K, a couple of things.  First, on the unit is a DIP switch labeled "ID BIT", which should be on if the input is a laptop and off it is as a computer graphics card in a desktop.  That should not affect the video image but next to that switch are two DIP switches labeled "Hs" and "Vs" that could affect the image.  For analog VGA signals those should both be set to the 75 Ohm position.

Another possibility is that the storms somehow caused the projectors to lose their settings and maybe reset to some default settings.  And a simple potential factor is to make sure that in all the checking of cables, replacing of items, etc. that all the connections are good, it's easy to have one connection that is not quite right to cause all sorts of problems.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.