ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cab for JBL 2206  (Read 7219 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Cab for JBL 2206
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:32:24 PM »

I am thinking of building some small subs based on the JBL 2206, either a single or dual cab.  Any suggestions?

Any opinions on these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-324                           

I saw some discussion of a dual 12 Lab sub in the past, but I am having no luck with the search function here.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:37:37 PM by Chuck Simon »

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Cab for JBL 2206
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »

I am thinking of building some small subs based on the JBL 2206,
Why.. because you have them kicking around? If not you would be better served(get more output) from 15" or 18" drivers in a reflex design(front loaded) with roughly the same size box... which will be 5-7 cu/ft per driver.

Any opinions on these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-324
It's too small to produce any bass.         

I saw some discussion of a dual 12 Lab sub in the past, but I am having no luck with the search function here.
The PSW lab12 is a dual 12" horn loaded subwoofer, and small is one thing it's not. http://www.prosoundweb.com/article//lsp_documentation_page_drawings_photos_specs_and_more/

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:09:57 PM »

Why.. because you have them kicking around? If not you would be better served(get more output) from 15" or 18" drivers in a reflex design(front loaded) with roughly the same size box... which will be 5-7 cu/ft per driver.
 It's too small to produce any bass.         
 The PSW lab12 is a dual 12" horn loaded subwoofer, and small is one thing it's not. http://www.prosoundweb.com/article//lsp_documentation_page_drawings_photos_specs_and_more/

Yes, I do have some "kicking" around, if it necessary for me to explain my motive.  I could have sworn I saw plans for a front loaded cabinet with the dual 12's in a diagonal position in a reasonably small cabinet.  Can anyone help me with this?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:15:35 PM by Chuck Simon »

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »

Whoops, wrong forum!  I found it: http://soundforums.net/diy-audio/134-free-sub-plan-dual-lab12-front-loaded-welter-systems.html

That cab is not designed specifically for the 2206.  Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:31:53 PM by Chuck Simon »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »

Yes, I do have some "kicking" around, if it necessary for me to explain my motive.  I could have sworn I saw plans for a front loaded cabinet with the dual 12's in a diagonal position in a reasonably small cabinet.  Can anyone help me with this?

How many drivers do you have, 2 or 4?

For subs you really don't need plans, it's just going to be a rectangular box of appropriate volume and with appropriate port dimensions to maximize the potential of the available drivers. To find out what the appropriate specs are I suggest downloading a speaker design tool such as WinISD Pro(for free), you then plug in the drivers TS parameters which are available online from JBL, and generate a simulation. That simulation can then be modified to taste but you have to realize it costs powerhandling to extend the low end response of the system so you should target something like 35-40hz tuning. Also note that while all reflex subs look very similar a design that works for one driver may or may not work for another, another reason to simulate the response so you know how the driver will behave in any given box.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:44:53 PM »

Thank you, Paul, for the WinISD tip.  I used to build all my own cabs when I was younger and poorer and could not afford OEM cabs.  It was always trial and error, using any info I could get from JBL.  When I could afford not to have to "roll my own" I swore I would never build another, but I'm getting the urge for a project just for fun(or torture).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:49:13 PM by Chuck Simon »

J. Taylor Webb

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »

Whoops, wrong forum!  I found it: http://soundforums.net/diy-audio/134-free-sub-plan-dual-lab12-front-loaded-welter-systems.html

That cab is not designed specifically for the 2206.  Any other suggestions?

As Paul said, the cab could be designed with modeling software, with good results.
BTW - the first thing to come to mind when you mentioned a 2 - 12 sub was the
Meyer HP 500, a rectangular box with nice large ports, relative to the driver size.
My observation is that a high x-max driver like the lab 12 needs large ports, in a reflex cab.
Not a lot of empirical data to back that up, just casual observation.
Def not suggesting to copy their design, just a comparison that properly ported dual 12
driver sub boxes can work very well. All in a small footprint.
Best of success with the build, 
 Just my 2 cents
Taylor Webb

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »

FWIW I ran these through the software myself last night and the results don't look promising, the model seems to indicate that these things really don't like to go that low.. they're more of a mid-bass driver. I have some Eminence DeltaLite 12's that look similar on paper and as expected when installed in appropriate cabs the lowend doesn't have much weight.. which is fine in my case because they're designed as mains not subs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »

Paul, that makes sense, since the 2206 were used in as mid bass in a JBL 4731 cab.  I'm also thinking about making a bass guitar cab, using them where they might be better suited.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.