ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop DI Box - Which one are you using?  (Read 47409 times)

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Re: Laptop DI Box - Which one are you using?
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 01:37:25 AM »

Has anybody tried one of these little units? They would possibly provide a decent headphone output to go into the direct box. http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-3D-AUDIO-SOUND-CARD-VIRTUAL-7-1-CH-ADAPTER-/190530137002?pt=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item2c5c7b2baa#ht_3458wt_1219

They cost $3.50, delivered. It's unlikely that they could provide a decent anything.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

David Kaiser

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »

This one costs 4.29 delivered.http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-3D-AUDIO-SOUND-CARD-VIRTUAL-7-1-CH-ADAPTER-/190530137002?pt=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item2c5c7b2baa#ht_3458wt_1219

This one costs 11.95 and uses a better chipset than the one in my previous  post, according to that seller.http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-7-1-Channel-External-Digital-Sound-Adapter-NEW-/270700192944?pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item3f06fd24b0#ht_2307wt_1219.

I don't do this type of work and am not a sufficiently golden eared person to be able to tell the difference, unless there was extreme hiss. Would you be willing to test these products and let us know if they are worth using?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:45:00 PM by David Kaiser »

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »

David,

It looks like the outputs of those are unbalanced - why not just go for one with a balanced interface instead of having to burn another DI to send it long distance?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

David Kaiser

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »

The purpose of these would be to provide an inexpensive, better headphone output to drive the DI with. Nothing more, nothing less. I make no claims as to the quality of the headphone output of these USB adaptors.

Sander Rooijens

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »

The purpose of these would be to provide an inexpensive, better headphone output to drive the DI with. Nothing more, nothing less. I make no claims as to the quality of the headphone output of these USB adaptors.

A while ago I bought a similar (though not the same) small USB "soundcard" thinking it could not possibly be worse than my laptosp 3,5mm output.
Was I in for a surprise! The thing manages to be worse than any laptop soundcard I've ever encountered in lots of different ways!

Fortunately the thing was very cheap so it was not an expensive lesson. A lesson learned none the less ;-)
I now plug my laptop into an Allen & Heath Zed 10FX as my USB interface. Much better :)
On some very small jobs I might not even need any other mixer, for anything else it can also be a little submixer.

S.R.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.