ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop DI Box - Which one are you using?  (Read 37299 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
    • My homepage
Re: Laptop DI Box - Which one are you using?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

Their name is pretty much un-googlable (as is Duck's Echo Sound).

Duck's Echo Sound first result at the top of my Google Search.

Black Dog is the name of a line of audio interfaces being developed by Andy at Duck's Echo Sound.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:07:08 pm by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com
Head Audio/A1 Blue Man Group North American Tour

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

I find the fader and input gain control sufficient.

Mac
+1

My day job is in corpy world.  If I'm expected to have some semblance of control over the show's goings on, I need to take certain variables out of the control of the presenters.  Knobs like that are a variable that I want under my control, not theirs.  I guess one could make the same case for pad switches, etc., too.

I'll just keep hiding the box and only give them the interface cable...  ::)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:13:25 pm by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 04:15:18 pm »

+1

My day job is in corpy world.  If I'm expected to have some semblance of control over the show's goings on, I need to take certain variables out of the control of the presenters.  Knobs like that are a variable that I want under my control, not theirs.  I guess one could make the same case for pad switches, etc., too.

I'll just keep hiding the box and only give them the interface cable...  ::)

+1.  Never give 'em an option you don't want 'em to take. 

This is the reason I discourage "stage-mother iPods" for playback.  They screw it up, then yell at me when their kid is standing up there embarassed.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Richard

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 11:47:05 pm »

I have really been liking the rolls db14b AV Presenter.

It's perfectly tiny and works great.
For what it's for, it's size, and the price, it's one of my favorite things to keep in my gig case.

Cheers
-Lee

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 12:50:46 am »

Hi Philip, and everybody else,

I think you left me a voicemail I haven't returned yet, no? Apologies for that. Without getting into too many details, I've been dealing with a very serious medical emergency in my immediate family, and fell very, very behind in emails and phonecalls this month. I'm finally catching back up.

We are finishing up the first production run, I hope to have actual details and ship dates today or tomorrow. It's taken us a long time, with a run of enclosures that were made out of a thinner gauge metal than we'd ordered, some re-designs based on early feedback, etc.
Andy,

I'm glad to hear that you value getting the product right, not just out the door.

Also I'll 100% agree that family medical issues come first. Hope it's working to ok.

I'm definitely interested in seeing more info when you are ready to publicise things and start shipping product(s). I guess I'll plan to be checking your web site next week then.

Thanks,

Duck's Echo Sound first result at the top of my Google Search.
Justice, I must had a slightly different search, perhaps "duck echo sound" but of course now that's working for me just like your search. Behold the wonders of the google search, it knows what you are looking for (at least once you've been there) :)

Philip

Luis Pinzón Arroyo

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 04:12:54 am »

I'm very happy using APHEX 124A and a miniplug-rca stereo cable.
The more I look, the more I see..The more I listen, the more I hear.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 05:04:37 am »

For small gigs I am starting to use the USB connection on a Zed10FX, it sounds better than the laptop headphone jack, so far it has connected reliably with my laptop.

Matt Tudor

• NW Iowa.
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 10:44:50 am »

I am going to suggest going with the 1/8 jack as well to a Radial DI. People are just starting to show up at some events with ipads and if you hand them the USB cable you're going to get a funny look.

Regards to the list,
Roger

+1 So far this month I've had clients hand me Ipads, ipods, laptops, and a USB stick full of mp3s.
We use either a Whirlwind PCDI or an AV1. I like the AV1 better myself, I think it sounds more open, and has the advantage of 1/4 input jacks for use as an instrument DI. Flexibility is a plus in my book. Not sure what the XLR input is there for but I'll find a use for it someday. The Whirlwind has the advantage of being able to sum to mono, or do stereo. I thought that would be a big advantage when we bought it, but for our uses, I've only needed the full stereo once in 3 years. If I ever had to buy more, it would be the AV1

David Kaiser

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 01:36:05 pm »

The XLR input on the Radial unit is the reason I bought it. I use it to plug my Mackie 1604VLZPro into the wall at the Sheraton Hotel in St. Louis. 1/4"balanced to XLR cable into AV1, XLR into wall.

Doug Hammel

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »

Whirlwind pcdi. Great device, great company. It has 1/4", RCA and a 1/8" stereo jack. It has worked for me every single time without fail.

I'm starting to get into more presentation style events and I'm looking into getting a few DI boxes to put on our podiums. I just wanted to ask everyone here what they liked bested.

Thanks
Doug Hammel

dougcvaudio@gmail.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 24 queries.