ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One Projector, Two Screens?  (Read 34042 times)

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
One Projector, Two Screens?
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »

So, a client has come to me with a request...one I'm not sure is feasible.  They want to mount two screens on the front wall of their sanctuary, and project onto both screens simultaneously...with the same projector.  These screens are split 20' apart. They claim they've 'seen it done'.

The obvious solution would be to project onto the whole wall, and use something like the Christie Spider to block out the non-screen portions.  But they somehow think this will be cheaper than using two projectors.
I suppose there could be a lens out there capable of doing this, using a prism to split the projector image two separate lenses, but the cost of this lens, plus the cost of the high output projector, would again seem to negate any cost savings over purchasing a couple of 5K projectors.

Am I missing something?

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: One Projector, Two Screens?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »

So, a client has come to me with a request...one I'm not sure is feasible.  They want to mount two screens on the front wall of their sanctuary, and project onto both screens simultaneously...with the same projector.  These screens are split 20' apart. They claim they've 'seen it done'.

The obvious solution would be to project onto the whole wall, and use something like the Christie Spider to block out the non-screen portions.  But they somehow think this will be cheaper than using two projectors.
I suppose there could be a lens out there capable of doing this, using a prism to split the projector image two separate lenses, but the cost of this lens, plus the cost of the high output projector, would again seem to negate any cost savings over purchasing a couple of 5K projectors.

Am I missing something?

Hello,

No, I don't think you're missing anything. But, I do think THEY were missing something...I think they may have seen two projectors stacked on top of another, although, they were aimed at two separate  screens.

I agree with the idea that there may be some lense that'll split an output to two different screens, but, I think it would be more hassle than it's worth. Constantly re-aiming and tweeking would be a pain, especially if it's mounted on a ceiling.   And, I'm sure the cost would be "insulting" to them. ;D

I notice that those with the grandest of ideas always have NO money..... 

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »

Hello,

No, I don't think you're missing anything. But, I do think THEY were missing something...I think they may have seen two projectors stacked on top of another, although, they were aimed at two separate  screens.

I agree with the idea that there may be some lense that'll split an output to two different screens, but, I think it would be more hassle than it's worth. Constantly re-aiming and tweeking would be a pain, especially if it's mounted on a ceiling.   And, I'm sure the cost would be "insulting" to them. ;D

I notice that those with the grandest of ideas always have NO money..... 

Hammer
I can't believe both of you guys have missed the obvious answer with absolutely no drawbacks --  a HUGE prism to split the beam.  Seriously, don't make this any more complicated than it is.  :)

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »

I can't believe both of you guys have missed the obvious answer with absolutely no drawbacks --  a HUGE prism to split the beam.  Seriously, don't make this any more complicated than it is.  :)

;D   Jonathan had already mentioned a prism..but ?
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »

Another factor may be what is displayed on the two screens?  Is it always the same content on both screens, potentially different images on each screen, a single image split across the two screens or some other option?

Also, how large are the images?  If you tried to get two good sized images 20' apart with a single projector then that projector would have to actually be creating a much larger image, which means it having much greater output in order to create a comparable image brightness.

Another consideration may be redundancy, if a projector ever fails then with two projectors you still have one operating while with a single projector you have nothing.

Have you asked them where they saw this done with a single projector?  It would be interesting to know what is actually being done for that application.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »

;D   Jonathan had already mentioned a prism..but ?
He talked about a lens with a prism inside it.  Like that exists - whatever.   ::)

I'm talking about dangling a prism from the ceiling about 8' in front of the projector, next to the darkening lights to compensate for the windows with no curtains.

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »

the darkening lights

Gotta get me some of them!!!   ::)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »

I'm talking about dangling a prism from the ceiling about 8' in front of the projector, next to the darkening lights to compensate for the windows with no curtains.
Are those dimmable (brightable?) so that you can adjust the amount of darkness provided?  Are they considered energy efficient and how might they affect LEED points?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »

Are those dimmable (brightable?) so that you can adjust the amount of darkness provided?  Are they considered energy efficient and how might they affect LEED points?
They are variable darkness, however they aren't LEED certified, as it takes energy to cancel the light out.  You can't violate the laws of physics, you know. 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

They are variable darkness, however they aren't LEED certified, as it takes energy to cancel the light out.  You can't violate the laws of physics, you know.
Then they should be called darks, not lights. As in "bring up the darks."

It can't be that hard, it's the same concept as driving twice as slow, and all the time people say that do that.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.