ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show Designer 1 - I'm confused  (Read 14224 times)

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
Re: Show Designer 1 - I'm confused
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »

I sent him a rather long email about my system, what consoles I had tried and why they didn't work out, what I was trying to accomplish, and how to attack programming my current SD1.  His response was that for the system I have, and the way I choose to operate it, it may be too low end of a console.  I could post my actual email but this is the readers digest version.

I really want/need more fixtures, and stackable, transparent scenes at a significantly higher level than the SD1 allows. 

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »

Thought I would update the thread with the recent info...

The issues I had with the SD1 were related to (primarily) my lack of understanding how the SD1 worked - thanks to everyone (and especially to Duane) for their input and guidance.

The other issue was with the "noisy" power that I had everything plugged into.  Someone on the Elation forum remedied the issues by suggesting (which I employed)  1.)  Remove the pin-1 wire from a DMX (XLR) cable that connected from the SD1 to the first fixture - there seemed to be some noise on that wire (this fixed much of the issues);  the other "fix" ended up separating the controller further from the lights and getting power for the controller from another outlet.  This fixed about 99% of the issues.

Now, to continue on with the learning...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »

Rather than start a new thread, I will ask my new question here.

While not quite up the level of novice user yet (I am the sound dude - my partner is lights), I still come up with questions my partner can't answer yet (she is now up to novice level :-) ).

Can we "copy" a factory chase (one of the F3 set) and edit the copy?

Perhaps there is an easier way to get what I want...
The F3 chases seem to be for the mover to be hung from pipe over a dance floor. When placed on their bases there aren't and factory chases that will point mostly down.

We used the movers with the SD1 for the first time last night to great effect since it was indoors and they could paint the walls and ceiling. They were mounted (not just placed) on top of the mains about 8' from the floor and I would have preferred to aim em down on the dance floor. Perhaps someday when I have truss it won't be an issue.

Suggestions?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Terry Martin

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »

Rob - did you try reversing the tilt on the fixture?  I'm not sure if that fixes your problem though.  My understand is that the factory chases are not editable - other than speed and fade time. 

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

Rob - did you try reversing the tilt on the fixture?  I'm not sure if that fixes your problem though.  My understand is that the factory chases are not editable - other than speed and fade time. 
I don't remember but I expect to pull them out early next week to set up for the next show. We shall see what happens. I have been bit and now want two more :-)

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

duane massey

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 10:16:19 PM »

Factory chases are not editable ( correct, Terry), and I'm not certain if changing the P/T function on the fixtures will work. Certainly worth a try. Reversing the P/T on the SD1 will not solve your problem (I believe it only effects the joystick).
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »

Factory chases are not editable ( correct, Terry), and I'm not certain if changing the P/T function on the fixtures will work. Certainly worth a try. Reversing the P/T on the SD1 will not solve your problem (I believe it only effects the joystick).
My partner is actually the lighting person but I am the forums guy so...

She built a chase for one of the movers and it looks ok.
Is there an easy way to use that for the other one too (or if I had a set of eight, all of them)? She thinks she needs to program each one then can stick them in a scene to run them.

Suggestions on best practices for playing with movers?

It would be neat if you could build chases for them and then at the show, set the start points (or end points if that is the goal) and not have to do the chase all over.

Thanks for all the help. We are making progress. We now have 5 different instrument types all running with differing scenes and presets. The movers are the current big learning experience.

duane massey

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »

Standard method:
Select Fixture, select all fixtures to be included in Chase;
Open shutter, open dimmer, use pan/tilt to move beam where you can see it;
Select Record, select Chase;
Using the pan/tilt controls, adjust the beams for the first step of the chase; (you can select and de-select each fixture during the process, but don't touch record again)
Record the step (Enter) and move the fixtures to next step;
Repeat this process until the last step, but do not touch Enter. Instead touch the page number that you wish to store the chase in.
I normally enter a nominal chase speed of .5,  but you can change this for each scene.
Remember that any slider you move once you enter record while activate that function for the whole chase. Also, if you do not move a slider, such as dim, the chase will not include that function. I nowmally do p/t chases with all other functions inactive. If you do this, start the chase, select the fixture(s) and open the shutter, dimmer, and make any adjustments to the color, gobo, etc, as well as the speed and fade of the chase. Store this as a Scene and you're done.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Deryl Humphrey

• He gets sound, I get lights.
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »

Hi all, I'm Rob's mysterious partner, aka the squint of the team.

I have gotten the basics of creating a mover chase. I use presets for the "effects" (gobo, gobo rotation, shutter speed, color etc.)

I guess that means I am up from a novice to a beginner?

There are two parts to the question on building chases for movers that Rob asked for me.

1) As far as I can tell, when you build a chase, you need to specify all the instruments you are going to use. That unlike a scene, you can't start up a new fixture and add it in and all the steps in the chase will now apply the DMX signals that are already assigned to this new fixture.

Now it may be that I can select a fixture then set each DMX values for each step, adding / over writing each step in the chase for this new fixture that I need to add. Is that correct? Or do I just rewrite the entire chase?

2) If I have two movers, one in inverted mode and one not, how do I build a chase where the units move in unison versus moving in opposition? (Inverted mode, not hung upside down or backward.)

Aka, if the units are addressed without the inversion when you pan them left they both point left. With inversion you send the left pan signal, one moves left, while the inverted unit moves right.

My question is how do I build one chase where the units move in unison and another where they move in opposition?

The goal is to have two chases one where the movers move in unison, and one where they move in opposition. (Some day I'll worry about moving the movers in two random and separate patterns, perhaps when I get to the intermediate level of programming skill. ;-)

An example of what I am trying to do is as follows:
Chase 1: The movers point to stage left, then pan in parallel to stage right.
Chase 2: The movers point to center stage then diverge in opposit directions out to the wings.

Thanks, and hello all!
Deryl Humphrey

duane massey

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »

Deryl, the steps I outlined are the basics. After you enter record mode, you can select and deselect fixtures to change values for each fixture in each step. Try this, for example:

Select both movers, position straight down, open shutter/dimmer;
Select record,select chase;
Select fixture;
Deselect mover 2, move #1 to left location;
Deselect mover 1, select 2, move to left location;
Select Chase, touch enter;
Touch fixture, select #1 (deselect 2), move to right location;
Deselect 1, select 2, move to right location;
Go back to chase, touch page #1.
Exit record, playback chase, adjust speed;
Select fixtures, adjust color, gobo, etc, and store as a scene.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.