ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Show Designer 1 - I'm confused  (Read 14282 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Show Designer 1 - I'm confused
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:52:39 AM »

Sorry about that comment, I been putting together 75 ohm, RG6 cables today and lost my mind. :o

Regards,  John

No problem, just didn't want somebody to read it and be confused or misinformed.

I doubt the problem is with the cables, sounds like a programming issue.

I did not mean to imply that I thought it could be cables.  Just correcting a mis-statement.  I agree, it's most likely timing of the wait between the cues.  Each cue can not finish being executed before the next cue is fired and the light begins that cue.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

duane massey

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:24:10 AM »

The Show Designers, like all controllers, have their idiosyncrasies, but are very powerful controllers in their respective price ranges. SD1 is unmatched (in my opinion), but the manual is not very helpful to someone who has limited experience with advanced light programming, and the video does not represent the best approach to basic use (IMHO).
If you take the time to get comfortable with the SD1 it is extremely useful.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »

I doubt the problem is with the cables, sounds like a programming issue. When you say "Presets", do you mean "Preset" or "Scene"? I typically don't use the presets, as I typically program "Chases" and then store them as "Scenes" for playback. From what you are describing it seems like you have missed a step or two in your programming. In "Chase" you can have more than one active IF there is no common function between them, and I believe Preset is the same way.
A common issue with programming the SD series is the fact that "Record" only records what you do AFTER you press record in Chase or Preset, and will not store any info for any slider/channels not moved after entering the Record mode. Once you enter Record mode, everything you move will be recorded, so if you're doing multiple Presets or Chases, you can get unexpected results unless you are careful not to move any slider that affects a channel you don't want to record.
Feel free to contact me via PM or email if you need some help.

For presets, (like in the video) I recorded colors using the "preset" button and assigned colors to the top row of buttons; so, when I press "preset" and then button 1, the color red is used, button 3, yellow is used, and so on.  So, just like in the video, I could run a chase and then select a color for the chase.  Though, maybe this isn't how the SD1 is meant to be used (this is part of my confusion).

Setting presets (for colors, gobos) seemed like a good idea; then chases could be programmed; then the chases and color options could be "layered" (I may have mis-understood what I saw in the video). 

So, really... I should be recording a chase (pan, tilt, gobo, color) and then assigning the chases to a scene?  Then, just select the scene I want to run?  The issue I currently have is when programming a chase, the actual x/y mirror locations don't record where I wanted them to.  So, if record a box pattern that covers 32 sq/ft; the playback of that chase is only doing (let's say) 16 sq.ft.

Question about SD1 - when playing back a scene or a chase, can (or should) the sliders be all set to -0-?  In other words, when playing back a chase (or a scene), are the sliders not needed in order for the chase/scene to successfully run?

A caveat, in the testing area I'm using, the XLR cables are lying in a coiled mess on the floor directly intertwined with the power cables (and power strip).  The fixtures are sitting on the floor next to the cabled mess.

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »

Sent you a PM with specific info, but for general consumption:
The Preset idea might work, BUT you have to have the appropriate fixtures selected each time, and this would seem to require multiple button-pushing just make changes.
It sounds like your speed/fade needs to be adjusted(slower) to reach the outer points of your desired pattern. You also may find that it will take more than 4 steps to get the actual effect. Trial and error will determine this.
Slider location will make no difference unless (1) you have fixture(s) selected/active and (2) you move them after a chase/scene/etc is running.
Pre-programming is very important to get the most out of this controller, or any controller using intelligent lighting. You can select and control lights in real-time, which is very cool, but it is difficult actual run a light show using only or primarily manual control.
I typically program 4-5 pages of Scenes (minimum) and sometimes group similar "looks" next to each other. For bands I will program a page of scenes for each specific song if needed.

I doubt the cables are issue.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »

Thanks again Duane.

Terry Martin

Show Designer 1 - I'm confused
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »

Duane - it has taken me quite a while to figure out the RECORD logic of chases that you mentioned.  I believe they did make an attempt to explain this in the manual or video, but my small brain certainly didn't comprehend that.  Thanks for clearing that up.

SD2 user

Terry

duane massey

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »

Terry, there are several things that either aren't clear or are not mentioned in the manual. I'm sure there are several things that I don't know, as (like most of us) I tend to concentrate on the applications that I typically use the controllers for. Also, it takes practice/repetition to get up to speed on these guys, and there are certainly many situations where a more upscale controller or software-based package would make more sense.
Feel free to contact me (PM or email) if you need any help.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »

Duane, I have a a number of SD1 questions so I sent you a PM.  Hope you don't mind. You seem to be the resident expert on them.

duane massey

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »

SD-series are odd controllers that seem to be in their own little class. The fact that they are very generic makes them a challenge for entry-level guys but not sophisticated enough for power-users. Since 90% of my clients are in between these categories the SD's are a perfect fit (and just about the only fit). I've been spec'ing and using them since the first unit came out, and (believe me) I cussed and ranted at first because of the manual. Having a lot of experience with them, of course, does not mean I'm an expert, just that I've had the opportunity to use one in several different applications repeatedly. If you do something over and over again you had better learn something, or you should choose a new career. I like my career....
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Terry Martin

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »

Duane(and Stuart):   I'd appreciate it if you would post the Q&A here for us to learn.   Thanks. 

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cweea4

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.