ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: D&B V-Series Released  (Read 19761 times)

Tom Hester

• Orange County, CA
D&B V-Series Released
« on: March 18, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »

http://www.dbaudio.com/en/systems/black-range/v-series/

I was hoping there would be some buzz about this, but I guess I will start it.

Same output as Q but has Rigging like J (awesome). Also much better coverage options. The sub looks cool too, a bigger B4 sub.

What do you guys think?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: D&B V-Series Released
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »

http://www.dbaudio.com/en/systems/black-range/v-series/

I was hoping there would be some buzz about this, but I guess I will start it.

Same output as Q but has Rigging like J (awesome). Also much better coverage options. The sub looks cool too, a bigger B4 sub.

What do you guys think?

It should have better output than a Q, it has the 2-10s, but instead of a single small compression driver it has an 8" horn loaded mid, and 2 small compression diriver highs. It is about the same size as a Q, but is 50% heavier.

Almost no one has heard them yet, I wouldn't expect many actual users to chime in yet.

Mac

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »

is it replacing Q?
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

chris bellamy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »

is it replacing Q?

It's a fine combination of the J and Q it has the j rigging but you can set angles up to 14 degrees. it just sounds like a smaller J. it is brighter and has more balls than Q in my opinion.
I don't think it will replace the Q I think it's just a middle ground between the two. I think the V's are a great idea, because I love how easy it is to fly and land the J's but you get the added bonus of having a lighter box.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:48:04 PM by chris bellamy »

Chris James

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »

Don't think of it as replacing the Q but more as completing the gap between J and T series. Actually it will have more output than a Q1 soon but it won't be optimized till the new amp/processor is released.
The Q series all have a single 1.3" compression, the V series have dual 1.4" exit drivers.
 It does weigh more but its still only at 75lbs which is still below most mid sized dual 10" boxes that put out over 140db peak and have captive rigging, at least that I am aware of.... and has the huge benefit of being 3way passive with this type of performance. Two boxes per chan can be utilized without any performance compromise.
The V sub is unique because it is an 18" with a rear firing 12" for cardioid and operates on a single amp channel in cardioid mode.  Can be stacked or flown and goes down to about 37hz.
Apex Sound & Light Corporation
d&b audiotechnik partner Canada

Al Rettich

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »

Mac,
Saw them up close and personal today. They were side by side with a Q1. They are a bit wider, and like you mentioned quite a bit heavier. However, the audio they produce were amazing, especially between that 800-2400 area. I was told they are replacing the "Q" series.

It should have better output than a Q, it has the 2-10s, but instead of a single small compression driver it has an 8" horn loaded mid, and 2 small compression diriver highs. It is about the same size as a Q, but is 50% heavier.

Almost no one has heard them yet, I wouldn't expect many actual users to chime in yet.

Mac

Uli Göbel

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:11:08 AM »

Mac,
Saw them up close and personal today. They were side by side with a Q1. They are a bit wider, and like you mentioned quite a bit heavier. However, the audio they produce were amazing, especially between that 800-2400 area. I was told they are replacing the "Q" series.

Same as i have heard on PLS Frankfurt. Q is running out sooner or later

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »

Im doing a show with V as a J outfill hang on Wednesday. I will report back!
Riedel Communications

David Buehler

• db Production Services LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »

Im doing a show with V as a J outfill hang on Wednesday. I will report back!

and ? how was it?
David Buehler
Owner
db Production Services LLC

Audio - Video - Staging & Roofs - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »

and ? how was it?

Hi All,

Sorry for the radio silence - its been constant shows since my last post.

In short, it was excellent.

We had the first 24 boxes in the world - actually serial numbers 1-24 (a real shame i didn't snap a picture!). This was a half-arena show, and the configuration was 16 J + 12 V per side.

The V is literally like a small J. The box looks similar, the styling is the same, and the rigging is pretty much identical. The main physical difference is obviously the size, and that it doesnt have any kind of wheelboard, and is instead designed to travel in dollies, which D&B have designed. The dollies are 1/3 pack and can be seen on the website.

The fly frame is pretty much identical to the V. Ours were fitted with prosights.

Its a passive box, which i know puts a lot of people off, but i couldn't hear it. We were using the V as a side-hang to the J and walking the transition between the 2 with your eyes shut, you couldn't pick the difference. Now, this was primarily a playback driven show (no full band) so differences may become more apparent with more dynamic content.

All in all, very very impressed. Great sounding box, loads of headroom, and great physical characteristics (weight, size, flyware, etc...)

I have it again for a tour in May/June where we will be using it as a delay ring in stadiums with J as the main PA, so i'll post some more thoughts then!
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.