ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How would you hook it up?  (Read 8128 times)

Steve Babine

How would you hook it up?
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »

I will be setting up sound for a mens warrior conference and was looking for some good ideas to chew on. I set it up last year and it sounded pretty good I think. This year we have quite a bit more and new equipment. Here is a sample to give you a better idea of what I do so you can help me out and give me some pointers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk85Rn3bcp4&feature=relmfu

Last year we had 2 QSC HPR 152F for mains and 2 QSC 122's for side fills. we also had 2 QSC KW 181's for subs on each side of the stage. I didnt have and center fills for the front rows which will change for this year. This was all run by a mackie onyx. This year I have a set up in mind but wanted to throw it out to the pro's to get all the input i can so it can be the best it possibly can.

I will be setting up sound in a hockey arena in waterville valley NH. This is the equipment I have to work with this year. All the speakers mentioned are self powered. presonus 24.4.2, 2 QSC KW153's, 2 QSC HPR 152's, 4 QSC HPR 122i, 6 QSC kw 181's, We will be using in ear monitors so none of these speakers will be used for stage monitors. I think I listed everything. Thanks for the help!

Steve

Brian Larson

How would you hook it up?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »

Set it up so it sounds good.

Now, more importantly, what the hell is a "men's warrior conference"?

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: How would you hook it up?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:38:22 AM »

I will be setting up sound for a mens warrior conference and was looking for some good ideas to chew on. I set it up last year and it sounded pretty good I think. This year we have quite a bit more and new equipment. Here is a sample to give you a better idea of what I do so you can help me out and give me some pointers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk85Rn3bcp4&feature=relmfu

Last year we had 2 QSC HPR 152F for mains and 2 QSC 122's for side fills. we also had 2 QSC KW 181's for subs on each side of the stage. I didnt have and center fills for the front rows which will change for this year. This was all run by a mackie onyx. This year I have a set up in mind but wanted to throw it out to the pro's to get all the input i can so it can be the best it possibly can.

I will be setting up sound in a hockey arena in waterville valley NH. This is the equipment I have to work with this year. All the speakers mentioned are self powered. presonus 24.4.2, 2 QSC KW153's, 2 QSC HPR 152's, 4 QSC HPR 122i, 6 QSC kw 181's, We will be using in ear monitors so none of these speakers will be used for stage monitors. I think I listed everything. Thanks for the help!

Steve

I think you're going to need more rig for an ice arena.
   Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:50:33 AM »

How will the stage and audience be setup in the arena?  How large is the arena and what are the acoustics?  What are the sources and inputs?  What do you have for signal processing and routing?  Does everything have to be ground stacked and/or on stands or will you be able to fly any of the boxes?  In general, it's great to know what you have in temrs of equipment but if you want to input on how to effectively apply that you also have to define what you are trying to do and the environment involved.

Steve Babine

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »

How will the stage and audience be setup in the arena?  How large is the arena and what are the acoustics?  What are the sources and inputs?  What do you have for signal processing and routing?  Does everything have to be ground stacked and/or on stands or will you be able to fly any of the boxes?  In general, it's great to know what you have in temrs of equipment but if you want to input on how to effectively apply that you also have to define what you are trying to do and the environment involved.
Hey Brad, and other guys.Thanks for the reply. The conference is a church event. Keep in mind I am a volunteer and LOVE what I do. This is by no means a professional gig, but I am very proud of what and how I do what I do. I dont do this for a living, thats why I am here to learn from all you guys who do.

The eqipment listed is all that is on hand. No rigging or flying any speakers, just on stands. At about 1:50 on the video you can see the size of the stage which is about 60' wide and 3' tall with 8-9 inputs from the stage. We have electric drums,2-3 electric guitars, 1 bass, 1 or sometimes 2 acoustic guitars and up to 4 vocals. The subwoofers are usually put on the floor 1 sub on each side of stage and positioned the best to eliminate the power ally.  this year I have 6 so a friend suggested to put them on the floor in front of the stage 2' apart and time delay them from 0-6 ms apart.  the arena is regulation size and surprisingly the acoustics are great and the echo is very minimal ( I know, hard to believe).  The only signal processing I use is the presonus 24.4.2 board and quite frankly thats all that is needed. The more "junk" in the signal path the worse the sound in my opinion.

The arena is not one with the seats going up the side and its one level.  The ceiling is all wood and about 50' to the peak. Like I said you would be surprised at how good the acoustics are.  There will be about 450-500 guys in the audience.  I set up at one end of the arena so by the time the sound goes to the other end and back it is really non existent. Thanks guys, I hope I have enough info.     

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

Hello Steve,

I don't think you have enough of a speaker rig for 400-500 people in an arena.  I'd look into renting some stacks and racks.

Good Luck,
   Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »

Use what you have, but get it up in the air as high as practical. Try som scaffolding, but be safe. You won't roll their socks up and down, but you'll fill the hall with sound at a decent level, and without spending more money that's the best you'll do.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »

With the speakers being a medium throw your horns will get out about 75 to 100 feet then the highs will roll off and the people behind the 100 feet will be getting mostly up to 10 k 

Caution on pushing the highs and burning the horns out. 
When doing rooms with 300 to 400 for spoken word confrence I was able to keep around 90 to 96 db with a small short range EV speaker set.  I was also running a second line 45 feet back from the mains one next to my mixer and one on wireless across the room.  This allowed me to extend my highs to the back 80 to 120 feet.  I use a click track to help time align the delays. 

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »

With the speakers being a medium throw your horns will get out about 75 to 100 feet then the highs will roll off and the people behind the 100 feet will be getting mostly up to 10 k 

Caution on pushing the highs and burning the horns out. 
When doing rooms with 300 to 400 for spoken word confrence I was able to keep around 90 to 96 db with a small short range EV speaker set.  I was also running a second line 45 feet back from the mains one next to my mixer and one on wireless across the room.  This allowed me to extend my highs to the back 80 to 120 feet.  I use a click track to help time align the delays.

Medium throw? Not sure but haven't found a company that breaks physics... HF rolls off dependant on environmental factors, the hf output is predefined and if by 'medium throw' you mean it is not narrow or not high power then I'd understand but stay clear of stuff like 'medium throw' and 'long throw', those are terms used to describe a type of deployment and not a type of loudspeaker, someone should have a chat about 90+dBspl for spoken word as well...

Now on to the op, just make it happen. As has been stated you don't have enough rig but then which church ever does? And a church renting equipment? Good luck...

Maybe a dual PA solution will help, music in 152s and Vox in 122s but as I'm not familiar with the speakers can't say much there. I think your biggest issue will be having 3 different tops to work with since I'm pretty sure that those boxes are not easily arrayed with each other... I'd be at a loss on what to do with the 153s, maybe some fills or delayed speakers that has been mentioned before...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »

The eqipment listed is all that is on hand. No rigging or flying any speakers, just on stands. At about 1:50 on the video you can see the size of the stage which is about 60' wide and 3' tall with 8-9 inputs from the stage. We have electric drums,2-3 electric guitars, 1 bass, 1 or sometimes 2 acoustic guitars and up to 4 vocals. The subwoofers are usually put on the floor 1 sub on each side of stage and positioned the best to eliminate the power ally.  this year I have 6 so a friend suggested to put them on the floor in front of the stage 2' apart and time delay them from 0-6 ms apart.  the arena is regulation size and surprisingly the acoustics are great and the echo is very minimal ( I know, hard to believe).  The only signal processing I use is the presonus 24.4.2 board and quite frankly thats all that is needed. The more "junk" in the signal path the worse the sound in my opinion.

Considering the speakers you have available, you might be better off with the stage on the side of the arena, and the "audience" in front and to the sides.  That way, no speaker has to throw any farther than about 80 feet, and you could use the smaller speakers along the same side as the stage on a delay to help propagate the vocals/spoken word. 

You may get resistance from the organizers about rearranging the space, but I think you'd get better coverage.

Good luck.  :)

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.