ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Had issues doing a sound gig. What is wrong ??  (Read 45914 times)

Kenny Deal

Re: Had issues doing a sound gig. What is wrong ??
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 09:39:51 pm »

Unless the jumpers were changed in your board, the prefade auxes are also pre eq. Any changes you made to her channel would not affect the monitors. Odds are you sucked a lot of good sound out of the mains trying to adjust the monitors with a knob that makes no difference in the monitors.
You know not to quote you twice but I really really think that is exactly what I did wrong. it makes perfect sense.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:17 pm »

Now you got me thinking even harder. I got the feedback to stop though by dropping the low mids ??

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 10:20:39 pm »

For women singers, don't use an SM58 or 57.  They tend to make a womens voice sound thin (or anyone that sings in the upper registers) and seem to lack presence.  Try an Audix OM7 or the Sennheiser e835; I now use the e835 series for all vocal mics (unless the band wants to use their own brand).  It's made a huge improvement for women vocalist.

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 10:33:38 pm »

You don't want the mon send(s) pre-eq in most cases. If you were using the channel EQ to chase feed DBX back in the mons, that would explain a lot, and the mic technique coupled with the mic only made it worse.
DBX 131, 231, 2031, etc, are good cost-effective units for EQ.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 11:31:20 pm »

For women singers, don't use an SM58 or 57.  They tend to make a womens voice sound thin (or anyone that sings in the upper registers) and seem to lack presence. 

Can't let you go on that one.  Many fine female singers I work with are happy with an SM58.  Some prefer it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:48 pm »

For women singers, don't use an SM58 or 57.  They tend to make a womens voice sound thin (or anyone that sings in the upper registers) and seem to lack presence.  Try an Audix OM7 or the Sennheiser e835; I now use the e835 series for all vocal mics (unless the band wants to use their own brand).  It's made a huge improvement for women vocalist.

Almost anything but an e835 for women.  That damn thing has the "ice pick in the forehead" sound if their lips get off the grille.  The SM58 is also more forgiving off-axis.

The nicest "average priced" mic for most lady singers I've found is the SM-86.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Kenny Deal

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 12:14:06 am »

You don't want the mon send(s) pre-eq in most cases. If you were using the channel EQ to chase feed DBX back in the mons, that would explain a lot, and the mic technique coupled with the mic only made it worse.
DBX 131, 231, 2031, etc, are good cost-effective units for EQ.
Im sorry I am a bit confused. Pre eq aux sends means the eq has no effect on the aux channel right ? and post eq means it does ?
So you are saying I want post eq auxs ?

Kenny Deal

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 12:18:28 am »

Can't let you go on that one.  Many fine female singers I work with are happy with an SM58.  Some prefer it.
Yeah, actually this was the first time I had a real problem like this which was why I figured I was doing something wrong more than the mic.
I m still a bit confused though. The the channel eq had no effect on the aux send then why did cutting the mids and lows get rid of the feedback ? I am a bit lost now. I was thinking about it alot and That is how I got it to stop was by cutting frequencies but it should not have done anything if it was not effecting the monitors. Maybe the feedback was from FOH ? I don't see why She was never in front of the speakers. I do know when I was testing the monitors they didn't sound great. It was hard for me to run back and forth to listen to them then run back to the board.
Honestly you guys that do big venues, I don't know how you do it. I was frazzled with just this.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 01:34:39 am »

You don't want the mon send(s) pre-eq in most cases.
Duane,

I can see this being the case for just a Monitor board, but my opinion and preference is for any board that handles both FOH and Monitors to be Pre-EQ so that the channel strip can be saved for tweaking FOH.  An insertable EQ or processor should be used for the monitor mix in question.

THe dbx231 works, but I would recommend looking for used Symetrix 533E and Ashly GQX3102 units.  You might even be able to find some Klark Teknik DN360/370 units for a good price.  If you're comfortable with digital and don't need the "grab it now" sliders, there are a number of multichannel DSP units that would do a good job.  I'm sure others will recommend some.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

duane massey

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:39 am »

OK, guys, I am an idiot. I meant to say "post EQ", but somehow managed to type exactly what I did not want to say. "DUH" on my part, not just "duh".
As far as eq's, obviously buy the best you can afford, but the DBX is a cost-effective unit that is fairly easy to find at a good price, especially used.
I am partial to EV mics myself, but poor mic technique can pretty much negate any decent microphone.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:39 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.