ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on new Moving Heads  (Read 31446 times)

Thomas Bishop

Re: Advice on new Moving Heads
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 02:49:10 AM »

Hey, Nick.  I've been so torn with the Platinum Spots, literally have lost sleep over it.  They're amazing lights, nothing even comes close at the price range.  Every time I use them (and they work) I realize that I can't replace them with anything.  So I have just decided to start buying the 5R Pro.  CMY and zoom added to the already impressive feature set make it a no brainer.  I know I've bad mouthed them and keep going back and forth with my love/hate relationship with the PS5R, but until something else comes along I'm stuck with them.

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »

Hey, Nick.  I've been so torn with the Platinum Spots, literally have lost sleep over it.  They're amazing lights, nothing even comes close at the price range.  Every time I use them (and they work) I realize that I can't replace them with anything.  So I have just decided to start buying the 5R Pro.  CMY and zoom added to the already impressive feature set make it a no brainer.  I know I've bad mouthed them and keep going back and forth with my love/hate relationship with the PS5R, but until something else comes along I'm stuck with them.

Well you can always look into....
The DTS Jack
or
Clay Paky Sharpy

Same Platinum 5R light source, with a ton of features.
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »

Well you can always look into....
The DTS Jack
or
Clay Paky Sharpy

Same Platinum 5R light source, with a ton of features.

What kind of prices are on the DTS Jack and the Clay Sharpy?
Also, the specs on the sharpy say beam angle is very small or am I reading that wrong?
Thanks!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »

What kind of prices are on the DTS Jack and the Clay Sharpy?
Also, the specs on the sharpy say beam angle is very small or am I reading that wrong?
Thanks!

You're right. The Sharpy is basically a moving ACL type effect. Hella bright though.

Beam spread is 0 degrees, but the beam width is as wide as the lens. It has a few effects that give it a spread though, so it's not a one trick pony. It's very fast too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1QiHABc3g4
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

James Feenstra

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 02:07:52 AM »

You're right. The Sharpy is basically a moving ACL type effect. Hella bright though.

Beam spread is 0 degrees, but the beam width is as wide as the lens. It has a few effects that give it a spread though, so it's not a one trick pony. It's very fast too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1QiHABc3g4
for moving lights I could really care less how fast they can move...I'm more concerned with how well they perform moving extremely slow, as at high trim heights (20+ feet) a few inches of movement is a huge amount when it hits the stage, so generally effects are programmed slower.

anything with 8 bit movement fails horribly at slow movement :)
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »

All of the above is true, but they are no where near the price range I listed. (approx. 2k/fixture, the sharpy's come in closer to 4k a pop.) I went with the 5Rs and am sticking with them for now. So far they seem OK- I did have one with a bad tilt motor out of the box, but it was quickly taken care of. So far, pretty good, but haven't been really used hard. They are brighter, lighter, more feature rich etc when compared to the Martin lights I was looking at (250 entours) I'm still up in the air, but if they continue to work reliably, I'll be very happy with the purchase. I suppose time will tell.

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »

So bringing this thread back up to follow up on my experience  with the Elation heads I went with...

I purchased two test units with the intent of adding 6 more to inventory once I got familiar with them (and sold off some existing inventory) Here's my experience.

1 out of the initial two had a bad tilt motor out of the box. Returned that unit and swapped it out for another new unit. That unit had a bad grinding noise on tilt movements out of the box. Went to swap that out today. Brought up another unit from the warehouse and decided to run it before making the swap. Electrical issues with that one out of the box. Brought up yet another unit from the warehouse and opened that one up, plugged it in, wouldn't power up. DOA.

4/5 had issues out of the box. Needless to say, all four bad units are going back to elation and the 5th is being removed from inventory and sent back as well. I will be buying into another line, and will probably not do much business with Elation going forward. I need to decide what that next line will be, but potentially the new Martin units when they come out if i can hold out that long on dry-rentals. Just wanted to post my experience, and I'm open to suggestions on units to look into if anyone has had good experiences. Looking for well-featured small profiles in the 2-3k range per light.

Back to the drawing board. I'm tempted to go with mac350s, but I'm hearing martin is getting ready to drop a new line- possibly at LDI, but I don't think I can wait that long...

duane massey

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11:55 PM »

Truly disappointing news on the Elation products. Up until recently I've had much better luck up until the last year or so with Elation/ADJ in terms of products and service. Since I'm not actively involved in selling gear any longer I am beginning to suspect everyone is becoming more complacent in the industry about such minor details as customer service and quality control.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for sharing, Not good news.

Regards,  John

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for sharing, Not good news.

Regards,  John

Yep, I'm not exactly thrilled. I'm not really overly impressed by any manufacturer right now.

I'll have a good look at the new blizzard torrent f5 when it drops, and I just got turned onto these... Basically a 5r based shogun... http://www.mega-lite.com/prolight/autoLight/halo5r/

Anyone know anything about them? I'm hearing good things, 2kish range per fixtures. Well featured. I'm looking hard at these now too...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.