ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on new Moving Heads  (Read 31311 times)

James Feenstra

Re: Advice on new Moving Heads
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

martin keeps stock on their parts for at least 6-7 years after they discontinue products

2ks have been discontinued for quite some time and parts are still incredibly easy to get.

try finding parts for discontinued fixtures from less common companies (ie. chauvet, elation) is considerably more difficult unless it's something that's used in their current fixtures.

cross renting martin also seems to be much easier than other brands of lights, due to how well they're known.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »

Hey all!

I'm looking to purchase some new moving heads and would like some input/recommendations on what you guys use/like.

Budget: $2,000 per fixture, would like to keep it to around $1,500 if possible. I'm open to buying used.

Used for: DJ shows, corporate events, weddings for gobo projections etc.

Requirements/Specifics: Does not need to be LED but I am open to it, I normally have pretty solid power at my venues, but of course I'd prefer to stay away from power hogs if possible. Would like as bright, and light/easy to move as possible. Space isn't a concern and I have trucks for transport but who wants to lug around anything larger/heavier than they have to? Basically looking for some good, solid movers with a nice feature set. They won't be thrown around, but I won't be the only one using them so I can't guarantee they will be babied either.

I'm really digging these platinum spot 5R's from elation but I've heard some concrens about reliability and issues with weird gobo sizes. I figured they were a bit better built and had a better feature set than the ADJ vizi 5Rs... Are my concerns justified? Should I be looking at something else? They seem to have the best balance for my criteria and intended use. Would love to hear some opinions!

Thanks!

Buy LED wash and discharge spots for now.

Most crossrentable light in existance right now is the mac 101. Super small.. super scaleable.. you can always rent more. you can put 5 of them on pipe and base with 1 powercon feed.. can't beat that.

Until RGB engines really start coming out (and we are STARTING to see them) the spots will not have enough oomph while they have to cut thru a dichro.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 05:07:24 PM »

Buy LED wash and discharge spots for now.

Most crossrentable light in existance right now is the mac 101. Super small.. super scaleable.. you can always rent more. you can put 5 of them on pipe and base with 1 powercon feed.. can't beat that.

Until RGB engines really start coming out (and we are STARTING to see them) the spots will not have enough oomph while they have to cut thru a dichro.

I currently have 8 mac 101s and 6 Qspot 260s

When used together the mac101s are wayyy brighter. But the Qspots have been flawless and are bright enough for most indoor and small outdoor shows.

I really love the martin case for the 101s, 8 of them fit in a case that is smalle then one that holds 2 mac250s

All pics with the radiance hazer at 622

Qspots:

Qspots:

Mac101s:

Mac101s:

Mac101s:

Mac101 case:

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »

I know you're looking for spots but I would probably buy some Martin Mac 101's and the Mac250 Entours.  Keeping it all Martin will do you good in the cross rental and serviceability department.

Now if you could stretch yourself a little I bet the Clay Paky Sharpy would be in demand as well.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »

I know you're looking for spots but I would probably buy some Martin Mac 101's and the Mac250 Entours.  Keeping it all Martin will do you good in the cross rental and serviceability department.

Now if you could stretch yourself a little I bet the Clay Paky Sharpy would be in demand as well.

This might be good advice...

I bought just a pair of the Platinum Spot 5Rs to see what the deal was with them thinking that I would like them and just add more. They are sweet lights- really awesome feature set, but out of the box I got one with a bad tilt motor.

My distributor said he had problems with the first batch of units, but they have been fine since. I'm leary getting one with a bad motor out of the box. I don't want to go down the road T. Bishop went down and then have to ditch them all later, or worse yet have them fail at a show. It's tough because the feature set is so great, and the brightness on them would no doubt beat out an entour (and they're cheaper), but there's something to be said for reliability. Now, the question is... do I swap the bad unit, or send both back and just get the entours? (or krytpons?) I really, really liked the frost filter. For the e vents I do, having spot/wash in one fixture would be a great asset. Maybe design spot 250s?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:37:16 AM by Nick Pignetti »

mark lonow

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »

This might be good advice...

I bought just a pair of the Platinum Spot 5Rs to see what the deal was with them thinking that I would like them and just add more. They are sweet lights- really awesome feature set, but out of the box I got one with a bad tilt motor.

My distributor said he had problems with the first batch of units, but they have been fine since. I'm leary getting one with a bad motor out of the box. I don't want to go down the road T. Bishop went down and then have to ditch them all later, or worse yet have them fail at a show. It's tough because the feature set is so great, and the brightness on them would no doubt beat out an entour (and they're cheaper), but there's something to be said for reliability. Now, the question is... do I swap the bad unit, or send both back and just get the entours? (or krytpons?) I really, really liked the frost filter. For the e vents I do, having spot/wash in one fixture would be a great asset. Maybe design spot 250s?

i get lot of mixed reviews on relibility wit elation
my mac 250 kryptons have been basicly  flawless for 6 years   
get entours for shure  if ur trim is over 15' regurley
the martin krypton/entours have better colors and gobos so it "looks" better to me then  the elation plat 5r
the elation 5r light is a little britter  but no orange is a killer
i would  MABY  consider the elation line for a cheap cym solution

elation is gainin ground in the tour market (thanx partly to the sharpy/5r)
im seein prerig truss with big varilites and little elation 5r in them  this year
the am dj  vizi beamz where out with family fource 5
the british pink floyd show is carryin  some where around  40 new  elation 5r beams after 1 mouth of dates 2 had issues

befor the sharpy craz there was coemarz infinty acl s that caught my eye and its cym(maby buy used)
http://www.coemar.com/prodotti_dettaglio.aspx?flag=eng&str_navigazione=&cerca=&id_categorie=105&page=1&id_prodotti=305

101 looks like crap to me on a lot of colors   
301 looks less pixillated/color comes out bit more premixed

now a dayz  its all about the mac aura
tho i wish there was a lower priced version with out the aura lol  or a rgbaw version
theres always next year  :-\
how come martin does not have a 5r fixture?

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »

On my phone but just got back from my distributor. Was going to swap for entours but apparantly the mac250 have or are in the very immediate future getting discontinued. I can get kryptons w a little wait, but i opted to have the bad 5r swapped out. Ill have to see what martin decides to replace them w then make a call. Kinda bummed. I did thee the krypton and 5R side by side. 5r wwas def brighter but no idea of the bulb life left on the mac. We shall see. Guess its just a waiting game? I hope martin releases something soon, but i doubt it.

James Feenstra

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 10:30:10 PM »

On my phone but just got back from my distributor. Was going to swap for entours but apparantly the mac250 have or are in the very immediate future getting discontinued. I can get kryptons w a little wait, but i opted to have the bad 5r swapped out. Ill have to see what martin decides to replace them w then make a call. Kinda bummed. I did thee the krypton and 5R side by side. 5r wwas def brighter but no idea of the bulb life left on the mac. We shall see. Guess its just a waiting game? I hope martin releases something soon, but i doubt it.
Even discontinued you'll be able to get parts until at least 2020....by which time there will be about 40 new products of if not more. Hell, lighting/sound/concerts might not even exist by then haha
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »

Even discontinued you'll be able to get parts until at least 2020....by which time there will be about 40 new products of if not more. Hell, lighting/sound/concerts might not even exist by then haha

True, but I'd expect a replacement by maybe infocomm? Just kinda hurts buying into a discontinued line. I think I'll hang on to the 5r and see what Martin comes with as an answer.

Someone earlier mentioned the sharpy, but pricing on those isn't even a little stretch, it's almost double the 5r/mac250 range...

LightMike

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »

[Not true about LED's not having enough OOmph to cut through a Dichroic! Have you ever seen the Blizzard Torrent 90's? Dual Gobo wheels (1 rotating, 1 static), focus, iris, dimmer, rotating prism (x3) AND it's at least as bright as a 575 Discharge,Lux: 47,900 @ 1m, 8,232 @ 2.5m
 I've used one, and it's under 26 lbs.  The chauvet 260 is pretty cool,as you know, but isn't as bright as a 250 discharge- almost, but not quite. the 560 should be brighter than a 250 but less than a 575.  But it's brand new, and I always wait until gear's been out a year- too many bugs show up sometimes... I've been using 6 of the Chauvet led 260's for 1.5 years now, and absolutely NO problems with them. AT the price I get them at ($750-800), I can get twice as many of them as elations, 3-4x as many as Martins...I'm not a dealer for any brand, just use what works best for each venue...

Mike Morrow
LightMike Productions
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:25:33 PM by LightMike »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.