ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on new Moving Heads  (Read 27639 times)

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
Advice on new Moving Heads
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »

Hey all!

I'm looking to purchase some new moving heads and would like some input/recommendations on what you guys use/like.

Budget: $2,000 per fixture, would like to keep it to around $1,500 if possible. I'm open to buying used.

Used for: DJ shows, corporate events, weddings for gobo projections etc.

Requirements/Specifics: Does not need to be LED but I am open to it, I normally have pretty solid power at my venues, but of course I'd prefer to stay away from power hogs if possible. Would like as bright, and light/easy to move as possible. Space isn't a concern and I have trucks for transport but who wants to lug around anything larger/heavier than they have to? Basically looking for some good, solid movers with a nice feature set. They won't be thrown around, but I won't be the only one using them so I can't guarantee they will be babied either.

I'm really digging these platinum spot 5R's from elation but I've heard some concrens about reliability and issues with weird gobo sizes. I figured they were a bit better built and had a better feature set than the ADJ vizi 5Rs... Are my concerns justified? Should I be looking at something else? They seem to have the best balance for my criteria and intended use. Would love to hear some opinions!

Thanks!

Ken Shaner

• Shaner Sound Services
Re: Advice on new Moving Heads
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:20:39 AM »

We currently run the Chauvet Intimidator spot 250's and love them, BUT with the way LED technology is progressing i would highly recommend going that route since you have the budget for it. Large Movers aren't going to be " Light " though. We're about to pick up a couple of the new Chauvet Q-Spot 560's. If you are considering the 5R's then i think you'll love the 560's. LED, and extremely bright ( Similar to a 575 watt fixture ). Each mover has 3 60 Watt Led's in them. And being LED they are still much lighter than my 250 watt fixtures , they weigh 58lbs where these Movers twice as bright and LED only weigh 44lbs. Good luck with your decision!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:43 AM »

We currently run the Chauvet Intimidator spot 250's and love them, BUT with the way LED technology is progressing i would highly recommend going that route since you have the budget for it. Large Movers aren't going to be " Light " though. We're about to pick up a couple of the new Chauvet Q-Spot 560's. If you are considering the 5R's then i think you'll love the 560's. LED, and extremely bright ( Similar to a 575 watt fixture ). Each mover has 3 60 Watt Led's in them. And being LED they are still much lighter than my 250 watt fixtures , they weigh 58lbs where these Movers twice as bright and LED only weigh 44lbs. Good luck with your decision!
I'm lost in your pronouns.  Can you clarify?  Which is the fixture that is twice as bright and weighs 44lbs?

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I've looked at the new chauvet 560led, in fact I run a bunch of the qspot260led  so it makes sense, but my concerns are as follows:

Chauvet claims it's "almost" as bright as a 575 fixture, which means no where near as bright... But I really have to see it in person.

It's chauvet, and while I've had pretty good luck with their products for the most part, sometimes my clients hear chauvet and (if they know anything about lighting) give me a little look. I don't know why, it's just the stigma. I dont think I've lost any jobs because of it though...

I will definitely give them a hard look. Thanks for the suggestion.
Brightness and features are more important to me than weight and size, it would just be nice to keep it as light as possible.

Edit@tj, I think he was referring to the 560led being twice as bright @ 44 lbs

Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:05:48 AM by Nick Pignetti »

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »

As you know, none of the fixtures out there are bullet-proof, and we have all had different luck with specific brands. I've had very bad results with Chauvet, but good results w. ADJ/Elation. Others have had great luck with Chauvet, not so much with ADJ, etc.
If you're investing for the long run, LED's make more sense. If you're looking for best $$ value, used from a reliable source, regardless of the lamp type, might make more sense. Something that you should consider is the type of support you can expect in your area, unless you can do your own tech work.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ken Shaner

• Shaner Sound Services
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

I'm lost in your pronouns.  Can you clarify?  Which is the fixture that is twice as bright and weighs 44lbs?

that's what i get for posting when i'm tired  ;) Although, i think it's quite understandable. The 560 LED is twice as bright as the 250 watt fixture and weighs only 44lbs. As far as how bright they truly are, i haven't seen them in person but i have spoken with someone that owns a pair and he assures me that they are as bright as if not brighter than a 575 watt fixture. As far as the Chauvet name, about 10 years ago we wouldn't touch the Chauvet Stuff, we just felt their brand was not as high quality as other products out there. But, After some personal bad experiences with ADJ/Elation we decided to slowly give them another shot. Chauvet definitely has MUCH more reliable products then they did back then imho. We now have a LOT of the Chauvet products from their Slim Par 56's and 64's , GVC Lasers, Haze Machines, Movers, etc....AND, we use their Show Xpress DMX Software for our lighting now. Needless to say , We're sold :) But it's all really a matter of personal preference. Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:16:54 PM by Ken Shaner »

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »

I had four Platinum Spots, now down to two and can't wait to get rid of them.  They're amazing lights....... when they work.  They just don't hold up to life on the road.  Three out of four have had major problems.  The pan motor locked up on one, sensor issues, etc.  Gobos are tiny so anything custom will almost always be glass.  I've found that because of the internal heat the custom gobos have cracked and/or "peeled."  This is probably an issue with the gobo supplier, but they say it's an issue with the light (of course).

The frost filter makes it amazing for DJ gigs.  I can wash an entire ballroom in a color (scroll) with two lights with the frost filter engaged.  Send me your email and I'll send you pictures if you're interested.

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I'd love to see some pictures. Nick.eventprolive at gmail.com

Though you're making me strongly consider more of the chauvet units, and those 560led units look nice. What are you using now that you are trying to phase out the 5Rs?

Did you pick up the 5R right after their release? Do you question the quality of the units or do you think it was just some early issues with the line?

Thanks!

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »

I assume you're looking for spots? If you want a wash light, the chauvet qwash 360z is in that price range (at about 1400-1500/fixture) and are great rgbw moving wash

as for spots, can't go wrong with martin....easy to fix, standard gobos, etc

should easily be able to find kryptons for under $2000/piece
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

I assume you're looking for spots? If you want a wash light, the chauvet qwash 360z is in that price range (at about 1400-1500/fixture) and are great rgbw moving wash

as for spots, can't go wrong with martin....easy to fix, standard gobos, etc

should easily be able to find kryptons for under $2000/piece

Yes, I'm looking for spots.

The current landscape of my market kind of looks like this...
I have a pretty good hold on the mid market. I provide for a lot of dj companies, and I do a lot of special and private, and corporate work. Then there's a hand full of full service production houses, the one that I'm most closely affiliated with runs Martin gear, though all 575 and up sized fixtures. I've thought about going the Martin route for cross rental and tech reasons, and could source some entours in my budget range, but features/price was definitely in favor of the elations, or even the chauvet units. I also hear that Martin is adding some new fixtures to it's lineup soon so I'm hesitant to buy into units possibly soon to be discontinued.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 23 queries.