ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We have no clue what we are doing...  (Read 3755 times)

AndrewThomas

We have no clue what we are doing...
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:00 pm »

Hello forum people,

I have been tasked with finding out what we need to fix a nagging problem at our worships gatherings. Apparently, we have no monitors for our musicians to be able to hear themselves during the worship service. I talked to the guy that sets up and runs the sound and he said that the main problem is that we don't have any extra outputs besides the ones for the main speakers. Is there any way of taking the audio output we currently have and splitting it into more outputs so that we can have monitors on the stage for the performers?

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
Re: We have no clue what we are doing...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:07:53 pm »

Hello forum people,

I have been tasked with finding out what we need to fix a nagging problem at our worships gatherings. Apparently, we have no monitors for our musicians to be able to hear themselves during the worship service. I talked to the guy that sets up and runs the sound and he said that the main problem is that we don't have any extra outputs besides the ones for the main speakers. Is there any way of taking the audio output we currently have and splitting it into more outputs so that we can have monitors on the stage for the performers?

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

Welcome to the Forums Andrew!

Most likely you need to update your mixer. What is the model name of the one you are currently using? If you cant tell ask the guy who runs the sound.

One step at a time but we will get you there!

Steven

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »

Andrew,

Steven is right - your mixer needs updating/replacing.  Let me explain why:

If the musicians are complaining that they need "more me" (or whatever), then they can't take cues off of the main mix.  If you were to simply split the main mix and use monitors off of it, you would be no better off - you could, in fact, be worse off if it messes up their timing, etc.

What your system needs is the ability to create separate mixes for however many monitor mixes your musicians need.  If you have 4 musicians, ideally you would have 4 monitor mixes.

If you could, please find out what your current system is (mixer, amplifier(s), speaker(s), etc.).  That will help us see what limitations there are and how best to address your situation.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:58:16 pm »

If the musicians are complaining that they need "more me" (or whatever), then they can't take cues off of the main mix.  If you were to simply split the main mix and use monitors off of it, you would be no better off - you could, in fact, be worse off if it messes up their timing, etc.
  I'm not sure how it could make it worse than not hearing anything at all except for what's acoustic on the stage.  I've played shows before where being able to hear the main mix would have a been a life-saver since I didn't have any monitors.  I guess there might be some cases where it would be worse, but I haven't encountered them.

Anyway, everyone's right that we need more information, especially what mixer you have, and also what kind of speakers you have, if they're powered or not, and if not what amplifiers are powering them with.  If you can't upgrade your mixer right now and do want to go ahead and get the same signal from the mains to the monitors, there are ways to do that, but they differ depending on your setup. 

Another thing you might try, since your mixer should at least have two main outputs is use one side for mains and other for monitors, and you can use pan to make some limited adjustments.

Cliff Jeffrey

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:22:54 am »

And once you add monitors you end up with possible stage volume issues.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:51 am »

And once you add monitors you end up with possible stage volume issues.
Although in this case they seem to be addressing monitor speakers, "monitors" in general could include in-ear monitors or personal mixing systems.  But perhaps a relevant point, they may already have stage volume issues, you may to be careful that they are not wanting monitors because the instrument amps, drums, etc. are already too loud on stage.  No matter what you do, it may be worthwhile to try to minimize the levels on stage.  Probably the last thing wanted is to give them monitors that are used to try to overcome already louder than necessary stage levels.

I'm not sure how it could make it worse than not hearing anything at all except for what's acoustic on the stage.  I've played shows before where being able to hear the main mix would have a been a life-saver since I didn't have any monitors.  I guess there might be some cases where it would be worse, but I haven't encountered them.
Since the FOH mix should be adjusted for what the people hear out in the house, there would certainly be times it could help but there are also times it would not be at all what some of the performers are looking for in a monitor signal.  Imagine hearing something direct, from several delayed reflections off walls and the ceiling and then adding it in a monitor mix with all those signals arriving at different times.  Or wanting a monitor mix to be able to hear yourself over over other sources but getting a mix that just adds to the level of those other sources.

Another thing you might try, since your mixer should at least have two main outputs is use one side for mains and other for monitors, and you can use pan to make some limited adjustments.
A good alternative if that is the only option given the rest of the system but keep in mind that panning changes not just the routing but also the level.  Panning a source from full left to center does not just change routing the source from just the left mix bus to both the left and right mix buses, it typically also reduces the level on the left mix bus by 3 to 6dB.

Ron Balsom

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:11:46 am »

Greetings Andrew, Feel free to call me @  307 312 7412  Blessings, Ron Balsom HPCC Casper, Wyoming
Hello forum people,

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:11:46 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 25 queries.