ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Podium Mics and "Money Channel" Outboard  (Read 17713 times)

Jordan Wolf

Re: Podium Mics and "Money Channel" Outboard
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »

Since the outboard mic pre for the lectern should probably live onstage, I don't agree with the digital output idea. You will either have to do sample rate conversion at the console, clock your console to the preamp, or install a master clock for everything. A good quality preamp backstage to get the generally low level signal from the lectern mics well above any system noise is a good idea, but line level is fine, you don't need to do the digital conversion at the preamp. That gives you fewer conversions than digital with SRC.
Yeah, that does throw a couple of bottlenecks into the mix, doesn't it?  After reading your post, I agree with you.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mikey Brown

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »

I see the DNS units come through with the "Money Channel" guys. Nice piece after you are done with the basics.
http://www.cedar-audio.com/

Doug Hammel

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »

+1 on the Countryman Isomax 4, one less thing I have to worry about. I have heard that Earthworks are very good also altough I have not had the opportunity to use them yet. A good high quality mic pre is also a good like the Midas XL42. Another thing to invest in along with whatever mic you end up going with is having several different mounts, windscreens, cables, etc. Put together a podium mic "kit" that holds all these things so that you will be prepared for whatever podium you encounter.   

I'm starting to do more and more corporate audio and want some high quality mics/processing for the podium. I have several mics, my favorite being the Crown 300. I'm a Sennheiser dealer and looking at getting a pair of the Mzh3040 with Me34 capsule but want to see what other options are out there. I've read good things about the Earthworks Flex series. I've owned other Earthworks in the past and have been really happy with them, but I've never used their goosenecks. I wish I could use my km184's but I need something with more of a "traditional" look.

Also, if it helps immensely, I wouldn't be opposed to getting an outboard preamp, compressor, and/or parametric eq. Most of our consoles are Yamaha digitals, so that's the sound after the microphone I'm currently stuck with. If I had a nice rack of outboard I'm sure I'd find myself using it on other sources on other gigs as well. What do you think? Should I even be considering outboard gear? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »

+1 on the Countryman Isomax 4, one less thing I have to worry about. I have heard that Earthworks are very good also altough I have not had the opportunity to use them yet. A good high quality mic pre is also a good like the Midas XL42. Another thing to invest in along with whatever mic you end up going with is having several different mounts, windscreens, cables, etc. Put together a podium mic "kit" that holds all these things so that you will be prepared for whatever podium you encounter.

Also don't forget widgets, gizmos and adapters to mount a mic to a podium. Have a couple of the threaded flanges with you, depending on the podium, the people, the place, ect. making a "donation" of installing a new threaded mounting flange is worth it to make your day easier.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:16 AM »

Also don't forget widgets, gizmos and adapters to mount a mic to a podium. Have a couple of the threaded flanges with you, depending on the podium, the people, the place, ect. making a "donation" of installing a new threaded mounting flange is worth it to make your day easier.

+1

And...   I don't think it's necessary to go and spend a lot of money on special out-board,  preamps, and other stuff...     Spend the Money on a few good Microphones....that's where the sound "starts". 
   Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Rick Earl

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »

Since the outboard mic pre for the lectern should probably live onstage, I don't agree with the digital output idea. You will either have to do sample rate conversion at the console, clock your console to the preamp, or install a master clock for everything. A good quality preamp backstage to get the generally low level signal from the lectern mics well above any system noise is a good idea, but line level is fine, you don't need to do the digital conversion at the preamp. That gives you fewer conversions than digital with SRC. There are lots of decent 2ch preamps available. I have always been intrigued by the idea of a fixed 20dB gain preamp in a small box actually inside the lectern, to boost the signal right there before it hits any of the various multicables it will travel through before ending up at the console input. I have used my old Symetrix 502s for this in the past, but not lately. The danger is having enough gain in that remote preamp that a loud speaker can overdrive the input of a preamp out on stage where you can't get to it to make an adjustment. A low gain like 15dB or 20dB should be fine though.

I always thought the Aphex 1788 remote pre would be nice for this, clean and remote controlled, the ROI was never their for me though,  I have used field mixers to do the same thing, with the battery capability too, they help me keep a hard wired, life safety,  back-up system in the loop.

For mics, I really like the Countryman Isomax 4. It sounds great, and has both RFI noise suppression, and active handling noise suppression.

Mac

I am very pleased with my Isomax 4s and am getting ready to order another set. 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:43:02 PM by Mac Kerr »

Dave Jones

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 03:11:31 AM »

I always thought the Aphex 1788 remote pre would be nice for this, clean and remote controlled, the ROI was never their for me though,  I have used field mixers to do the same thing, with the battery capability too, they help me keep a hard wired, life safety,  back-up system in the loop.

I am very pleased with my Isomax 4s and am getting ready to order another set.

Corporate is my bread & butter. I've been using Isomax 4's for several years. Before buying them I compared them with Shure MX series and I felt I was getting better gain before feedback with the Isomax 4's as well as a sound that I preferred.

Now I always use a Sound Devices Mixpre as a preamp in the lectern.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mx2master.htm

It works really well. I mainly do this to boost the level so induced noise, long lines etc isn't an issue (IE, dimmer buzz etc). The lectern audio is exceptionally clean and especially noticeable in event recordings.

DJ

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »

Now I always use a Sound Devices Mixpre as a preamp in the lectern.
Have you blinded yourself with the meter LEDs yet?  They're bright suckers...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Dave Wallingford

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

I have always been intrigued by the idea of a fixed 20dB gain preamp in a small box actually inside the lectern, to boost the signal right there before it hits any of the various multicables it will travel through before ending up at the console input. I have used my old Symetrix 502s for this in the past, but not lately. The danger is having enough gain in that remote preamp that a loud speaker can overdrive the input of a preamp out on stage where you can't get to it to make an adjustment. A low gain like 15dB or 20dB should be fine though.

I've always wanted something like that too. I just found a box called the Cloud Lifter that does just that - 25db of gain - but only for dynamic mics. It's powered by phantom, but doesn't power condenser mics. I just made an inquiry about a version that could power condenser mics...

http://cloudmicrophones.com/products/

- Dave

TomBoisseau

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »

I've found a couple AT ES991 podium mics a couple years back and I really like them.  They have a slightly larger "ball" wire mesh windscreen to accomodate two separate elements (two mics in one - so you have a back up) and as a result it is very forgiving with sposives and P's popping! 

According to AT there are a bunch of them installed in DC, and I saw them recently on the presidential debates as well as previously during the last presidential election.

Unfortuantely they have been discontinued.  On a rare occation they turn up used, but it may take a while to find them.

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.