ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice on new video broadcasting ministry  (Read 8745 times)

Nick Bair

Need advice on new video broadcasting ministry
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »

Hey, folks. Our church is investigating the costs associated with building a video misitry to record and broadcast our sermons. I have looked at the Panasonic HDTVP-2 turnkey HD studio ( http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/hdtvp-2.asp). It looks like everything we need to get started but I would like some outsider opinions. Is there a better way to spend $20K in this market?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Thomas Lamb

Re: Need advice on new video broadcasting ministry
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »

As far as switching goes the new black magic stuff is really great for the price. The ATEM tv studio is a really great switcher for 1000.00. kinda the new standard for recording is the AJA Ki pro. With this guy you can record straight to a hard drive it works just like a good ole fashion VTR just with a hard drive instead of tape. And in the camera arena panasonic makes some good stuff my thing would be to buy the best cameras you can afford and if possible stick with cameras that have SDI on the body of the camera. Converting HDMI to SDI is not the best way to go.. the HDMI adapters on the cameras are not built to hold up nearly as well as SDI.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Clayton Ganzer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »

I agree with Thomas, get A Black Magic SDI capture card, run both cameras HD-SDI into the computer do all your editing, effects, and switching there. Don’t get a dedicated video switcher, waste of money. With that Panasonic system you would most likely still need to put those video files onto a computer and edit or add text & graphics to the video so with running the cameras directly to the computer you’re saving a step. Also don’t used HDMI it is far lower quality that SDI, HDMI is for your home, SDI is for pros.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:06:27 AM »

Before getting into the hardware, can you better define what you are wanting to do, the personnel you have, etc.?  Do you have the people to jump into multiple manned cameras and live production?  Are you planning to record everything and then edit it or is the broadcast live?  Any thoughts of I-Mag or image magnification to projectors?  Will you be incorporating computer graphics?  How are you broadcasting, is it local distribution, streaming, content provided to local broadcasters or something else?  Do you have conduit and power in place to support this or will you be adding any associated provisions required?  If you do have multiple manned cameras, do you need to address production communications/intercom so you can communicate with them?

The ATEM TV Studio is $995 but you can't operate it without either an attached computer or laptop running the associated control software or a $4,995 Broadcast Panel, so the cost for a functional device is greater.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »

Before getting into the hardware, can you better define what you are wanting to do, the personnel you have, etc.?  Do you have the people to jump into multiple manned cameras and live production?  Are you planning to record everything and then edit it or is the broadcast live?  Any thoughts of I-Mag or image magnification to projectors?  Will you be incorporating computer graphics?  How are you broadcasting, is it local distribution, streaming, content provided to local broadcasters or something else?  Do you have conduit and power in place to support this or will you be adding any associated provisions required?  If you do have multiple manned cameras, do you need to address production communications/intercom so you can communicate with them?

The ATEM TV Studio is $995 but you can't operate it without either an attached computer or laptop running the associated control software or a $4,995 Broadcast Panel, so the cost for a functional device is greater.

+1 and the total cost of needed gear is going to be atleast 2x your budget.

My best advice is to hire a consultant to design your basic system, help with the spec'g of gear and follow through with installation and training for all techs & operators.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:22 PM »

Hammer is right, get a pro to sit with you, figure out what you need, and give you a solid system design.  Be prepared to spend a lot of money.  60K for a soundboard is a lot of money, especially in a church.  That's barely scratching the surface for a video system.  I worked up a camera proposal for one of my clients recently which came out to about 120K for just one camera.  That was CHEAP, real cheap, low end even for a broadcast quality 2/3" ENG camera with a long lens, triax, CCU, and all the necessary bits.

When I advise my clients I always go back to two things.  Buy once cry once and the wrong tool at the right price is still the wrong tool.  Sit down with your ministry leaders, make sure you've got a firm understanding of what your mission ministry and vision is and how this broadcast system ties into that.  Look at other churches doing broadcast and get some examples of what you like and what you don't like.  Then sit with a pro system designer and try not to choke when they give you a number.

Now if you just want to do it all in post, you can do that too but it adds a lot of time to your process.  I edit two line cuts each week recorded in 1080i pro-res.  My ATD mixes the audio, that's a few hours and he's pretty quick in PT.  I'd do that live but I don't have the $$$ for a broadcast mix suite yet.  I only have to put in an hour cleaning up the video and syncing audio (most of the time), but export and compress is hours of time and that's on a powerful computer.

I'm also stuck with just 3 cameras, would rather have six.  Would like a 2ME switcher because right now I've got imag and broadcast on a 1me, which is do-able, but 2me would be a lot easier.

Video is a rabbit hole, it will likely cost more than your audio and lights.  Good luck!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:40:57 AM »

Video is a rabbit hole, it will likely cost more than your audio and lights.  Good luck!

+100
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

gil parente

• Atlantic Professional Audio
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »

HI Nick

As a consultant and designer, I've seen many churches make the mistake of not using an experienced professional to help steer you in the proper direction.   Even if you decide to purchase all the gear and install and run it your self, it will be a lot more efficient if you hire someone to explain to you what you want and/or need.  Those two are seldom the same.

and I completely agree with the previous posts.  Video is not cheap.  So if it is cheap, its probably not very good.

take care

Hey, folks. Our church is investigating the costs associated with building a video misitry to record and broadcast our sermons. I have looked at the Panasonic HDTVP-2 turnkey HD studio ( http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/hdtvp-2.asp). It looks like everything we need to get started but I would like some outsider opinions. Is there a better way to spend $20K in this market?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »

Hey, folks. Our church is investigating the costs associated with building a video misitry to record and broadcast our sermons.

In addition to the prudent questions and advice offered by Brad, Hammer and Gil, I would ask exactly how you're defining "broadcast" and what your goal is in this regard.

Even a low power FM or TV transmission capability will cost many thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars and months of municipal and federal permitting and licensing effort to implement, not to mention the physical construction of an antenna mast.

Webcasting (not legally defined as "broadcasting)? What are your intentions for servers and bandwidth?

If you'll simply be shipping the content off to another local radio or TV station, how is that transfer to take place; in real time or after the sermon via portable hard drive or FTP server?
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »

I have had experience with the cameras that come with the HDTVP-2, from my experience with both these and Panasonic's better cameras I would recommend sticking with their better cameras with interchangeable lenses. Much more expensive for even two cameras and a good little video mixer but the old adage of buy once cry once definitely applies here as this is one place where if you don't buy good cameras to start, you will end up paying more for better cameras later so save up and absorb the cost up front because if you go the other way it will end up being much more expensive for you in the long run.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.