ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meyer MSL-4s opinions  (Read 9429 times)

Jean-Sebastien Cote

Meyer MSL-4s opinions
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »

Hi!
I'm a sound designer for theatre and one of my favourite boxes to put in designs is the good old UPA-1P.
It's pretty "dry", but it's reliable and I know what I'll get out of it.
I'm currently working on an outdoor multimedia presentation and the rental co listed MSL-4s instead of the CQs I asked for. My guess is that the throw will be better so I'm open to the idea but I've never used the box.
I'd like to hear your subjective opinion on it, considering I'm happy with UPAs, CQs and the like.

Thanks!

J.S.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Meyer MSL-4s opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »

Hi!
I'm a sound designer for theatre and one of my favourite boxes to put in designs is the good old UPA-1P.
It's pretty "dry", but it's reliable and I know what I'll get out of it.
I'm currently working on an outdoor multimedia presentation and the rental co listed MSL-4s instead of the CQs I asked for. My guess is that the throw will be better so I'm open to the idea but I've never used the box.
I'd like to hear your subjective opinion on it, considering I'm happy with UPAs, CQs and the like.

If you are used to CQs, you may not like the MSL-4. They are nothing alike. The CQs are much more "hi fi" than MSL-4s, and have way more low end. In the specs they don't look that different than a CQ-2, other than the MSL being 50lbs heavier, but my experience is the CQs just sound a lot better.

CQs are really meant to be used singly, and are often seen with yokes for mounting on truss. The MSLs are really meant to be used in arrays, and at 40ºx35º vs a CQ-2 at 50ºx40º they really are a narrow coverage box. The numbers aren't that different, but it feels like a bigger difference in real life. Of course CQ-1s at 80ºx40º are much wider coverage.

MSLs are also much improved by using with the DS-4P to fill out the low end.

As a concert PA where you can build a good sized array MSL-4s with DP-4Ps can be a pretty nice PA. I have used a 3 deep array of 3 MSL over 3 DP-4 over 3 more MSL, and it sounded good. Used singly I'm not in love with them. They do get pretty loud though.

Last week I did a show where we had to make a distributed system to cover an audience of 4000 without blocking sightlines of all the video screens, and 14 CQs on yokes as a distributed system with lots of delay zonesworked out pretty well.

In a show where you need each box to cover a bigger portion of the audience MSLs may disappoint. A lot will depend on how you need to use them.

Mac

Jean-Sebastien Cote

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »

It's too bad, I sent a complete answer and it never appeared in the forum...

In essence, I was saying that I was very glad you confirmed my doubts about he "hi-finess" of the MSL-4s. My only problem is that I don't really have a alternative; two CQ2s pers side REALLY don't go far enough, according to MAPP online (150'), compared to the MSL-4s. As budget for a proper line array is not really feasible, I'm left wondering what are my options...

Many thaks for you help!

JS

Jean-Sebastien Cote

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »

It's too bad, I sent a complete answer and it never appeared in the forum...

In essence, I was saying that I was very glad you confirmed my doubts about he "hi-finess" of the MSL-4s. My only problem is that I don't really have a alternative; two CQ2s pers side REALLY don't go far enough, according to MAPP online (150'), compared to the MSL-4s. As budget for a proper line array is not really feasible, I'm left wondering what are my options...

Many thaks for you help!

JS

I should have added that Meyer is pretty much the only brand that this co. supplies, hence my question.

Thanks!

JS

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »

Two MSL-4s a side isn't going to do much at 150' either. Depending on your audience configuration arrays of MSL-4s could do very well as a concert PA out to 150' (maybe beyond), but to get 100º horizontal coverage you are looking at a minimum of 3 a side, and you will want to fill them out with some DP4s, or else cross your subs pretty high. MSL-4s don't have a lot of gas down low, but they do throw well and they do get loud without falling apart sonically. I think you can array 3 MSLs with 2 DP4s per layer in an MSL-DP4-MSL-DP4-MSL arrangement. They are serious about those horizontal coverage numbers.

Are you looking at flying them, or ground stacking?

Mac

Jean-Sebastien Cote

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »

Two MSL-4s a side isn't going to do much at 150' either.

Honestly, 150' is the maximum distance; there's a street beyond that point and the less signal I send on the poor inhabitants of the houses on the other side, the better... so as you can see, I have to cover 120'-140'... but nothing beyond 160' ! Laws of physics, can we speak a little? :)

Depending on your audience configuration arrays of MSL-4s could do very well as a concert PA out to 150' (maybe beyond), but to get 100º horizontal coverage you are looking at a minimum of 3 a side, and you will want to fill them out with some DP4s, or else cross your subs pretty high. MSL-4s don't have a lot of gas down low, but they do throw well and they do get loud without falling apart sonically. I think you can array 3 MSLs with 2 DP4s per layer in an MSL-DP4-MSL-DP4-MSL arrangement. They are serious about those horizontal coverage numbers.
Are you looking at flying them, or ground stacking?

Ground stacking with two 650-P per side... at the moment.

Thanks again!

JS

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.