ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLS HELP: Speaker issues  (Read 4430 times)

Tshepo Mahloane

PLS HELP: Speaker issues
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »

Hi All,

I recently bought a pair of Hybrid PLB215 speakers (South African).  These are basically double tops (two woofers and tweeter per cab).  A few days after I bought tested them at home and found that while the one speaker plays or sounds "normal" the other one is almost inaudiable with both speakers playing.  I actually had to turn down the other one in order to hear it. 

Now since I bought them brand new I really and I haven't played them at excessive levels I am confused as to why the faulty speaker is playing at such a low volume.  I even tried using differnt amps and switched cables but it doesn't help.  Someone said to me it might be that the passive crossover that got damaged during shipping.  Is this plausible?  And could the crossover be responsible for the low volume output?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: PLS HELP: Speaker issues
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:32:41 AM »

have you opened up to see if the crossover is fine? some of the hyrbrid cabs do have "protection" fuses from what i've seen
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:34:37 AM by Richard McMahon »

Tshepo Mahloane

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:13 AM »

have you opened up to see if the crossover is fine? some of the hyrbrid cabs do have "protection" fuses from what i've seen

Not yet.  How can I tell if its faulty?  Is there a way to test it?

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 05:51:04 AM »

there might be a fuse on the crossover board. open up the back of the speaker (the panel where the speakons go in) and see if there is a blown fuse on the board (or other broken/burnt/not-right-looking parts)
replace the fuse if blown or just bypass it if you feel you dont need it
i am now pretty sure that i have seen fuses on the x-over boards in those cabs..
take a pic and post if something looks odd maybe?

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »

Hi All,

I recently bought a pair of Hybrid PLB215 speakers (South African).  These are basically double tops (two woofers and tweeter per cab).  A few days after I bought tested them at home and found that while the one speaker plays or sounds "normal" the other one is almost inaudiable with both speakers playing.  I actually had to turn down the other one in order to hear it. 

Now since I bought them brand new I really and I haven't played them at excessive levels I am confused as to why the faulty speaker is playing at such a low volume.  I even tried using differnt amps and switched cables but it doesn't help.  Someone said to me it might be that the passive crossover that got damaged during shipping.  Is this plausible?  And could the crossover be responsible for the low volume output?
Im not sure what you mean by recently but consider warranty on that loudspeaker
Also, try the loudspeaker on the other channel and with a different speaker cable to make sure
it is the loudspeaker
If the loudspeaker has a warranty do not open it up as this might void warranty

J. Taylor Webb

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »

Hi All,

+ 1 If the loudspeaker has a warranty do not open it up as this might void warranty.

It sounds like these are brand new, and very recently ('a few days') purchased. You should bring them back to the dealer you bought them from.

IF that's not an option, ...  you're on the right track with the process of elimination.
You tried a different cable, and a different amp, so it's likely the cabinet.
Did this cab ever play right? IF so, How long ? Might help us to help you, to know.
Does the tweeter, and both 15s play at the same very low volume?
If so, that would indicate trouble in the input jack connections, or the crossover, and as others noted, might be a fuse, or other protection. Do you have a VOM ( volt -ohm meter) ?
Can you check basic continuity ?  You can ohm check the fuse(assuming there is one) for continuity, after removing it.
Is the jack 1/4 inch type, or speakon ?
Could be a damaged jack, if the 1/4 inch type. they can get crunched if the cord gets stepped on while plugged in.
Give us as much information as you can,
Thanks,
Taylor Webb

Tshepo Mahloane

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »

Here's what I've done so far:
Opened the cab to checked crossover and it looks fine (no burn marks or abnormanlities) as far as I can tell.  I also checked the wiring in the actual cab and that too looks fines.
Next I decided to swop the 2 woofers from the faulty cab wiith the 2 woofers from the ok cab.  For some really odd reason I now find that the both speakers play normally.  The one issue that I picked up as I was testing was that of the 4 woofers in the cabs there is one that doesn't seem to be moving as much as the other 3 (i.e its not working as hard).  I didn't test the tweeters but they sound just about the same.
I haven't had the chance to test the speakers at very high volumes because my neighbors are always home but from what I hear they sound almost exactly the same in terms of volume and quality.  While I'm pleased that both speakers are playing well I am still worried as I haven't been able to determine the exact cause and also don't know what "fixed" it all of a sudden.  My worry is that it might fail me in the middle of a gig.
Do you guys have any idea what the problem could have been given the above changes?
These crossovers don't have a fuse.
Tweeter was also low volume before.
Dnt have a vom bt I'll ask a friend.
speakon inputs

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »

Here's what I've done so far:
Opened the cab to checked crossover and it looks fine (no burn marks or abnormanlities) as far as I can tell.  I also checked the wiring in the actual cab and that too looks fines.
Next I decided to swop the 2 woofers from the faulty cab wiith the 2 woofers from the ok cab.  For some really odd reason I now find that the both speakers play normally.  The one issue that I picked up as I was testing was that of the 4 woofers in the cabs there is one that doesn't seem to be moving as much as the other 3 (i.e its not working as hard).  I didn't test the tweeters but they sound just about the same.
I haven't had the chance to test the speakers at very high volumes because my neighbors are always home but from what I hear they sound almost exactly the same in terms of volume and quality.  While I'm pleased that both speakers are playing well I am still worried as I haven't been able to determine the exact cause and also don't know what "fixed" it all of a sudden.  My worry is that it might fail me in the middle of a gig.
Do you guys have any idea what the problem could have been given the above changes?
These crossovers don't have a fuse.
Tweeter was also low volume before.
Dnt have a vom bt I'll ask a friend.
speakon inputs
It could be you have a cracked connection on the crossover circuit board or a component that has an intermittant problem.

I would test each driver all by itself and bang-bump-hit the driver to see if there are any intermittant connecitons on the drivers themselves.

Then connect them all back up and beat-bang-bump the various parts on the crossver to see if the sound changes.

The basic rule to any troubleshooting is-divide and conquer.  Check one thing at a time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »

It sounds like one of the drivers in the 'bad' cabinet was out of phase and when you swapped the drivers you reinstalled them all correctly

Hi All,

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.