ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha IM8-32  (Read 8867 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Yamaha IM8-32
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 10:15:25 AM »

Pretty bad as compared to every other board in its class. A&H GL series springs to mind. As does the Soundcraft GB stuff.

Sorry. That console is a stinker. Even you admitted it by saying you have to run several thousands of dollars of outboard pre's to make it acceptable.

And on top of that, I'd rather not pay for "compressors" that will never get used. I would want a cheaper desk and then buy comps that will have real control.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »

Pretty bad as compared to every other board in its class. A&H GL series springs to mind. As does the Soundcraft GB stuff.

Sorry. That console is a stinker. Even you admitted it by saying you have to run several thousands of dollars of outboard pre's to make it acceptable.

And on top of that, I'd rather not pay for "compressors" that will never get used. I would want a cheaper desk and then buy comps that will have real control.

Decades ago I learned that Yamaha mixers sounded bad if they were operated by people who insist on having blinking red lights on the mixer.  Not at all forgiving like Midas, who have made a legend out of bad operating practice, but blaming the preamps for operational failures is disengenuous.

I've not used the IM8 but the shortcomings of Yammy low end analog mixers has been the eq section and post-only aux sends.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 10:29:37 PM »

Decades ago I learned that Yamaha mixers sounded bad if they were operated by people who insist on having blinking red lights on the mixer.  Not at all forgiving like Midas, who have made a legend out of bad operating practice, but blaming the preamps for operational failures is disengenuous.

I've not used the IM8 but the shortcomings of Yammy low end analog mixers has been the eq section and post-only aux sends.

Tim, the thing with the IM8 line is that one doesn't have to peak the meter to get into this preamp "saturation" territory.  It doesn't take a whole lot of hitting before noticeable tonal changes.   

But it does have pre-fader sends and looks impressive compared to a 16ch rackmount mixer!

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Ron Behro

• Adventures Of Sound Tech Guy
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 12:59:02 AM »

Okay, I never thought about it from your point of view. If you wanted compressors, you would just add enough to cover the inputs required. Makes sense. Why pay for something you will not use.

Ron Behro

• Adventures Of Sound Tech Guy
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 01:04:44 AM »

I keep an IM8-40 in rental inventory.  It may have been built in the same factory is the PM5000, but the mic pres are not PM5000-class.  You just cannot hit it hard or it starts getting thin and strained.   So one has to be careful with input levels or just use external pres or digital snakes.  I use a digital snake with it, so not an issue for me.  It is made in Japan FWIW.

Tim, I'm not sure how familiar are you with the IM8 series, but "pretty bad" compared to what, an APB Spectra T?  PM5000?  Sure.  Compared to other analog boards in its price range, it is actually pretty good.... clean and quiet.  A bit "hyped" and edgy, not warm sounding.  It's been super reliable.  Well built and light for what it is.  Great for festivals that do not want to spend a ton or want digital boards (yes there are still festivals like that.)  Dual power supplies.

Yamaha discontinued all their large and medium format analog consoles, hence the reason for IM8 being gone as well.  Nothing to do with its technical capabilities or the one-knob compressor.

I have no problems with the IM8 boards except the mic pres.

John R.

John, after doing a little more research about the IM8 consoles I found out that they were marketed more for church sound, theatre sound and small live sound productions. Basically the a lower end, large format, analog console. I have never worked on an IM8 before but, I would just like a chance to see how good or bad the model is. Maybe in a few years I will start seeing them for sale cheap after everyone else has converted to digital mixers.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »

Maybe in a few years I will start seeing them for sale cheap after everyone else has converted to digital mixers.

You probably won't have to wait too long, I think the time of cheap, second hand analog is already upon us.  ;)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 07:54:12 PM »

I just saw a 4000 dollar Midas XL250 last week.

Analog has been at rock bottom for a while now.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »

I just saw a 4000 dollar Midas XL250 last week.

:(

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »

We sold a pair (FOH/Mon) of PM 4000 for <$3000.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.