ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with New Vertec Rig  (Read 13062 times)

Brian Wynn

Re: Help with New Vertec Rig
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »

Also consider the arc of your linearray with the genie lifts.  I currently own a 87 rig and it work's ok with genie lifts.  I made my own fly bars which improved the genie / linearray problem greatly.  Keep in mind that the arc of the linearray will cause the bottom box to hit the mast of the lift.  Depending on how much of an arc is needed.  Motor's or proper linearray truss systems that someone mentioned above would be your best bet.   Also keep in mind the weight of the boxes vs the max capacity of the lift that your using.

The 87 is a great little box.  In my opinion there is nothing out there that has a better weight to output comparison.  Just remember everyone has a opinion and most will defend the products they use.  So get out there and field test before you buy.  DO NOT consider a JBL rig without ITech amps your wasting your time.  Again just my opinion. 

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

My Vertec 4888s with Lab Gruppen 6400s and 3400s and BSS 366 Omnidrives seem to sound better than the same boxes with iTechs behind them but thats just me. 
Genie lifts are not a usable lifting solution with 4888s.  It is possible to lift a six high wrap of 88s on a stick of truss bridged between a pair of Genies facing each other but only indoors.  For outdoor applications you must use truss towers.  You can easily hang eight boxes on an Stageline of course.

Also consider the arc of your linearray with the genie lifts.  ... snip ... DO NOT consider a JBL rig without ITech amps your wasting your time.  Again just my opinion.

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »

Bill,

I know your locality, and what is available.  EV XLC is prominent, but is not a box for the genie lift type market.  Your limited by your Genies.

Take a look at NEXO and Martin.  Very prominent in St. Louis and Chicago markets.  Consider tower lifts. 

Chuck

Chuck, you are correct about the XLC and it does sound fantastic or at least Mason's XLC sounds fantastic.  He is only about 35 miles down the road from where I live.

Bill
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »

Ok, so I am absolutely new to line arrays.  I have an (8) each EAW KF850ef/SB850 system that we have been using for the past 7 years.  I am now to the point that I am considering a line array.  I have worked on the JBL VerTec and the EV Xlc line array as well as the McCauley MLA 6 line array.  That is the total of my experience with line arrays.  We will be keeping the EAW system for ground stacking purposes.

What we do.  We are a small company that does several county and town festivals in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa and Florida.  Most of these shows are the same and fall into one of two types of shows.  The first is what I refer to as in-the-park.  These are mainly on town squares and parks.  We do a lot of shows with the likes of Marty Stuart, Little Texas, Drifters and some old rockers.  General area coverage is 70 – 100 feet wide and 100 feet deep.  Audience is between 750 and 2000 depending on who, the act is and we try to keep the volume around 105 db as not to run people off. 

The second type of show is the street festival.  These are all on city streets about 40 – 50 feet wide and we need to be able to be heard clearly at 150’ or so.  People will range from 1000 to 2500 maybe a little more on a good day.  Generally, the db at mix, 60’ from the front of the stage is 110 db.  On these we get many more rock acts than anything else.  Mostly they are regional acts with a 70’s/80’s headliner.   On most shows we will either be using Genie Super Towers or if we have to ground stack I will use the EAW 850 system…it’s paid for and does sound really good.

So after that here is what I need to know.  How many boxes per side will it take of the JBL VerTec 4888 speakers in order to make these types of shows work?  Generally speaking the Genie Lifts are roughly 30’ to 40’ apart.  I have never taken the Genies above 18’ however they do extend to 24’.  I currently do and will continue to use front fill speakers for the front of the stage area.  I am currently using EAW KF650z tri-amp front fills.  Eventually, I would move to a JBL front fill as well as the SRX728 subs.

One last question: could this be done using the JBL VerTec 4887A speakers or are they to small for these types of shows?

Thanks in advance for your input.
 :)

Thanks to all for the great advice.  You have given me much to consider.

Bill  8)
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Evan Hunter

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

Put me down as another one who was impressed with EV XLC, But I usually do favor EV, To me they just sound right. Ive mixed on a few rigs as well has heard a few different stages. Of course you cant go wrong with JBL and the 4887s arent bad but Ive only used them once but they were not setup ideally.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 26 queries.