ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: White speaker for wedding gigs  (Read 21569 times)

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
Re: White speaker for wedding gigs
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »

Thanks for all your recommendations. After sorting out what aspects are necessary and what aspects are just nice to have, I am starting to settle on EV ZX3-90W. From what I've read, it is clear, goes plenty deep and loud, easy to setup being lightweight white speakers, and fits my budget. I just wish there is one in my area I can go check out and listen to. I would possibly it for a day, if some sound company in this area has them.

Is there any other similar product at this price point?
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 12:25:03 AM »

A pipe & drape provider should be able to provide white, acoustically transparent, fabric covers with a velcro closure to make installation and removal easy. Keep 'em sealed in plastic to keep them clean when not in use.
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »

I am starting to settle on EV ZX3-90W. From what I've read, it is clear, goes plenty deep and loud, easy to setup being lightweight white speakers, and fits my budget.

I have four of these (in black), and I'm quite pleased with them.  I usually set them up with aux fed subs, but they work fine on their own for program that isn't too bass intensive.  Unlike the QSCs, they don't make a self powered version, so you will need to drag along an amplifier to run them.  I initially ran them off one side of a PLX1804 amplifier (about 600W into each cabinet).  That works well, but running a PLX1804 bridged (no, QSC doesn't recommend it) into one box for 1800W works even better, as long as you're careful (but this is also for a full band).

In my limited experience with wedding receptions, I've been quite pleased with the much smaller E-V ZXA1s, which are also available in white, and are self powered.  Similar voicing to the ZX3s, but much smaller, lighter, cheaper, and less obtrusive.  I wouldn't use them for a full tilt dance, but they are fine for BG music if people are trying to talk to each other.

GTD

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 12:36:38 AM »

I have four of these (in black), and I'm quite pleased with them.  I usually set them up with aux fed subs, but they work fine on their own for program that isn't too bass intensive.  Unlike the QSCs, they don't make a self powered version, so you will need to drag along an amplifier to run them.  I initially ran them off one side of a PLX1804 amplifier (about 600W into each cabinet).  That works well, but running a PLX1804 bridged (no, QSC doesn't recommend it) into one box for 1800W works even better, as long as you're careful (but this is also for a full band).

In my limited experience with wedding receptions, I've been quite pleased with the much smaller E-V ZXA1s, which are also available in white, and are self powered.  Similar voicing to the ZX3s, but much smaller, lighter, cheaper, and less obtrusive.  I wouldn't use them for a full tilt dance, but they are fine for BG music if people are trying to talk to each other.

GTD

Hello, thanks for your info. Do you feel that the ZX3 or ZX1 would have enough bass for pipe organ playing Bridal March and Wedding March?

I have adequate amplifier either way, with CTS 3000 and CE4000.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

James A. Griffin

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:57 AM »

Get the right speaker for your music and don't worry about the color.  Only the bride is supposed to be wearing white.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »

Got an outdoor wedding booked for May coming up. Venue per attached picture. 200 seats.
Pristine Audio
www.pristine-audio.com

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »

Hello, thanks for your info. Do you feel that the ZX3 or ZX1 would have enough bass for pipe organ playing Bridal March and Wedding March?

I have adequate amplifier either way, with CTS 3000 and CE4000.

Sorry Sean, I didn't realize this thread was still going.

Both cabinets go low, just not at a high level.  This is particularly the case for the ZX-1.  I think the sound quality would be fine for either of them.  The question I can't answer (because I don't know your expectations) is whether or not there is enough sound quantity.  I'm pretty sure you can't replicate a real church pipe organ's level, but there may still be enough to create the illusion.  I guess you really need to demo these if you can.

GTD

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »

Sorry Sean, I didn't realize this thread was still going.

Both cabinets go low, just not at a high level.  This is particularly the case for the ZX-1.  I think the sound quality would be fine for either of them.  The question I can't answer (because I don't know your expectations) is whether or not there is enough sound quantity.  I'm pretty sure you can't replicate a real church pipe organ's level, but there may still be enough to create the illusion.  I guess you really need to demo these if you can.

GTD

If you want the "feel" of the organ music, you'll want to have more than two speakers.  You'll need to approximate some "surround" with four or more speakers.  Outdoors, I'd go without delay on them so that the multiple arrival times will simulate the reflections of an organ in a sanctuary.  Then if you need more coherent sound, take the bypass off the delay for the speech part of the program.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »

If you want the "feel" of the organ music, you'll want to have more than two speakers.  You'll need to approximate some "surround" with four or more speakers.  Outdoors, I'd go without delay on them so that the multiple arrival times will simulate the reflections of an organ in a sanctuary.  Then if you need more coherent sound, take the bypass off the delay for the speech part of the program.

For this PA set, my goal is not to give the wedding party "in-your-face" kind of sound, just enough good sound to everybody and set the right mood. Most programs will be background level, except the organ march This is mainly for ceremonies, not the party afterwards. I would use my other PAs with subs for the indoor party.

I do like the "unprocessed" delay effect of multiple speakers. Thanks for the suggestion.

I heard the ZX1, love the tone, but just don't feel it will sound right outdoors more than 25 feet away with crowd of over 100.

I think I will give ZX3 a try.
Pristine Audio
www.pristine-audio.com

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »

Thanks for all your recommendations. After sorting out what aspects are necessary and what aspects are just nice to have, I am starting to settle on EV ZX3-90W. From what I've read, it is clear, goes plenty deep and loud, easy to setup being lightweight white speakers, and fits my budget. I just wish there is one in my area I can go check out and listen to. I would possibly it for a day, if some sound company in this area has them.
Is there any other similar product at this price point?
I bought my ZX3-90s for vocals, and they did not disappoint me. They are clear, sound good, and with a small cut around 6kHz come close in sound to my QRX112s. Using them full range, however, they do not have a strong midbass. My current DSP preset (Xilica XP4080) includes a 4 dB boost at 105 Hz, and I use them with a PRX618S-XLF subwoofer. Without the sub or the EQ, I don't think they sound good enough playing back recorded dance music. For weddings, they will do fine for violin, vocals and most keyboards, but would definitely not work well for lower register pipe organ. For that, I would strongly recommend a sub with the ZX3s. I don't know a top box that would do well without a sub for the lower register of pipe organ music. Other than that, the ZX3s sound really good, are pretty light, run fine one per channel off a PLX1804, and are better sounding and a LOT louder than the ZXA1s.
Where are you located?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:21:19 PM by George Friedman-Jimenez »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.