ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/4" 10 db pad  (Read 4032 times)

Mark Schneider

1/4" 10 db pad
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:42:32 PM »

I am in need of an adapter: looking for a female 1/4" to male 1/4" with a 10db pad.  Basically, we have a guitar effects going straight into a guitar amp.  The input is too hot for the amp, so there is way to much sensitivity in the gain and volume knobs.  Even with the gain on the amp turned all the way down, there is much to high of a signal coming in.  The effects unit output cannot be lowered, and there is only 1 input on the amp, with no controls for selecting various signal strengths. 

Basically just need a 1/4" inline adapter to lower the signal strength, and preferably something small and lower cost, not some $200 piece of gear.  I've never seen such a thing, or know if one exists.  Anyone ever seen that?

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: 1/4" 10 db pad
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »

I am in need of an adapter: looking for a female 1/4" to male 1/4" with a 10db pad.  Basically, we have a guitar effects going straight into a guitar amp.  The input is too hot for the amp, so there is way to much sensitivity in the gain and volume knobs.  Even with the gain on the amp turned all the way down, there is much to high of a signal coming in.  The effects unit output cannot be lowered, and there is only 1 input on the amp, with no controls for selecting various signal strengths. 

Basically just need a 1/4" inline adapter to lower the signal strength, and preferably something small and lower cost, not some $200 piece of gear.  I've never seen such a thing, or know if one exists.  Anyone ever seen that?

Hello,

What kind of effects unit(s) are you using ?  What make/model of a Guitar Amp ?   Does the amp have a master gain and a channel gain ? 

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Dave Bjornson

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »

Mark....

I'll echo what Charlie asked. 

What are the individual pieces of gear?  It would help to know that so that if it is possible that you've missed a simple adjustment or connection you wouldn't need to cobble up a fix.

Best practice dictates that you address the problem as far upstream as possible.  The farther downstream you work, the more complicated and less effective the fix.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »

For this application, a pad between the output of the pedal and input of the amp would give the best S/N results.
If you lower the levels prior to the pedal output, the sensitivity of the amp input will result in more noise.
Here is a link to a pad calculator. Use the "T" pad. Probably need more than 10 db attenuation.
http://www.nu9n.com/tpad-calculator.html
An alternative is to wire a 50K (estimate)pot to the output of the pedal.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:27:37 AM by keith broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »

It probably doesn't need tp be a full T or H pad, that uses extra resistors to increase the source impedance.  So you can use the pad calculator but just leave out the R3...

Guitar amps are expecting a relatively high impedance, and effects pedals probably don't drive low a good ballpark value for R1 is say 10k.

You could also wire this into a short cable... but mark it well...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »

There should be no need for this - something is set wrongly in the FX unit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.