ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR remote controlled plug strip?  (Read 3609 times)

Scott Hofmann

IR remote controlled plug strip?
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:48:02 am »

Has anyone come across an IR remote controlled AC plugging strip? I'm trying to control a video projector and also AC power to a mixer and amplifier with a SP Controls Pixie controller that sends IR commands, and need to be able to switch the mixer and amp power on and off via the Pixie. All I've been able to find is a cheap $6.00 Chinese IR-controlled ungrounded single outlet, probably non-UL.
Scott Hofmann

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
Re: IR remote controlled plug strip?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »

Has anyone come across an IR remote controlled AC plugging strip? I'm trying to control a video projector and also AC power to a mixer and amplifier with a SP Controls Pixie controller that sends IR commands, and need to be able to switch the mixer and amp power on and off via the Pixie. All I've been able to find is a cheap $6.00 Chinese IR-controlled ungrounded single outlet, probably non-UL.

Are you sure the projector will automatically turn on when you energize the outlet?  I don't recall ever seeing one that does.  You might find it easier and more reliable to just put an IR repeater on the projector itself.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:02:34 am »

Are you sure the projector will automatically turn on when you energize the outlet?  I don't recall ever seeing one that does.  You might find it easier and more reliable to just put an IR repeater on the projector itself.
I think that Scott is saying that they are planning to use the Pixie to control the projector but would like to also use it to control power for the mixer and amplifier.

I believe that for the Xantech unit Andrew noted you'd also need the related programmer so that the Pixie could learn the proper IR codes.  However, I am not sure this approach would work as while the Pixie can control multiple devices, I do not think it can have a control, in this case the on and off buttons, provide different commands to different devices.  In other words, I think you could have a button send the same on and off commands to multiple devices but could not have a button send two different commands to two different devices.  So you might want to verify if it is possible to have pushing 'on' on the Pixie send one 'on' command to the projector and a different 'on' command to a power device (similar for the 'off' function).

Will the person operating the controls be able to see the mixer and amplifier?  That may be another consideration as IR control does not allow for real feedback, you push the button and unless you can visually verify the action then you have to just assume the function happened.  That may not be ideal in regards to power for a mixer and amplifier.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:43:32 am »

I think that Scott is saying that they are planning to use the Pixie to control the projector but would like to also use it to control power for the mixer and amplifier.

I believe that for the Xantech unit Andrew noted you'd also need the related programmer so that the Pixie could learn the proper IR codes.  However, I am not sure this approach would work as while the Pixie can control multiple devices, I do not think it can have a control, in this case the on and off buttons, provide different commands to different devices.  In other words, I think you could have a button send the same on and off commands to multiple devices but could not have a button send two different commands to two different devices.  So you might want to verify if it is possible to have pushing 'on' on the Pixie send one 'on' command to the projector and a different 'on' command to a power device (similar for the 'off' function).

Will the person operating the controls be able to see the mixer and amplifier?  That may be another consideration as IR control does not allow for real feedback, you push the button and unless you can visually verify the action then you have to just assume the function happened.  That may not be ideal in regards to power for a mixer and amplifier.

Thanks, Brad and others for the suggestions. Yes, I envisioned the Pixie operating the projector normally and switching power only to the mixer and amp. I did learn that the Xantech needed a custom programmer, but hadn't researched the issue Brad brings up about multiple on/off commands. Will do some more homework on the Pixie (first time to work with one).The mixer and amp will be within sight of the operator, so could just settle for a rack strip to manually power them up instead of the Pixie approach if I have to. On the other hand, being within sight, would allow verification of status. Thanks again for the insight.
Scott Hofmann

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:47:03 pm »

After more research and finding the SP Controls "macro" programming instruction sheet for the Pixie, it seems it IS possible to have a button send two different commands to two different devices, ie turn both the video projector and the audio amp on (or off). From the manual: "Note: A single Pixie button may be programmed with commands from different remote controls. A single Pixie using Macros may send commands to multiple devices (e.g. pressing the POWER ON button on the
Pixie sends a power on commands to a projector and an audio amplifier). This requires two IR emitters." Seems like it should work, especially if one uses the separate Pixie ON and OFF button module!
Scott Hofmann

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:47:03 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.