ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Replacement Suggestion for Batten Theatrical Lighting  (Read 3888 times)

Bill Hinds

LED Replacement Suggestion for Batten Theatrical Lighting
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:40:21 AM »

Hi Guys,

Looking at replacing some theatrical Batten CYC Strip lighting.  Been looking at several LED products from ADJ Punch panels, Colorado Batten.  Want to mix in some AW in with some of these as well.
There are Three Rows 40' wide.

As for Price range, one is a Junior High School Level (hence why the ADJ Punch panels are attractive and viewed as disposable or easily replaceable) but for the High School Level it needs to be closer to the current CYC lighting they have but in LED.  Not sure any video will really be professionally shot in here BUT there is always parents video the schools plays and such so I was somewhat worried about flicker. However, I think that may put this into a out of budget price range.  I would still like some suggestions.

Thanks,

Bill

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
Re: LED Replacement Suggestion for Batten Theatrical Lighting
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

Some things we need to know:
How many lights are you replacing?
What are the current lamps in them (wattage, color, etc.)? (I assume you want the same coverage.)
What is the size/shape of the stage?
What is your budget?

LED panels/strips will not be able to replace a cyc 1:1. Flicker is not going to be a problem unless you really get cheap lights.

Kyle

Bill Hinds

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »

Some things we need to know:
How many lights are you replacing?
What are the current lamps in them (wattage, color, etc.)? (I assume you want the same coverage.)
What is the size/shape of the stage?
What is your budget?

LED panels/strips will not be able to replace a cyc 1:1. Flicker is not going to be a problem unless you really get cheap lights.

Kyle

Kyle,

I can't remember the exact count.  the are lined up end to end and I believe they were 300 watt bulbs at one time. It is kind of does not matter as a direct comparison as most of these were replaced with standard 100 watt bulbs and most have not worked for a long time.  Just about anything will be better than what is currently there.  We did a temporary setup for them using 8 ADJ Punch panels and they worked ok and they liked them but I want to use a better fixture than those.  Looking at the Colorado batten 72 for the Junior high (30ft CYC).  4 across each row. and was thinking about the Batten 144 for the HS using 8 to 12 for each row (40 ft CYC).  Both stages are only about 20 to 25' in height.

Thanks,

Bill

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »

The ChromaQ ColorForce 72's are fantastic battens...but they may be a bit steep for your budget.  They'll put the Colorado's to shame, though.

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »

Bill,

One of the problems with switching to LED is beam width and coverage. The beam width on the lights you specified only have a 30 degree beam angle. At about 20 feet that gives a beam coverage of about 5'h x 15'w on the floor. And because of the eccentricities of LEDs, you don't want overlap unless you plan for it.

So on a 30' wide stage, you would use either 2 fixtures side by side or 5 lights overlapped. I'm going to assume you have 30' in depth also. This would require a fixture in the rig spaced every 5' resulting in 6 fixtures side by side or 13 fixtures spaced every 2-1/2' for overlapping.

Since I'm having a hard time determining what it is you really want to do, I can't recommend the simple replacement you are looking for. I'd suggest you get together with a light designer and find out what you may really need.

Good luck,

Kyle

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.