ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 32 Ch Whirlwind Digital snake...to LS9-32  (Read 9952 times)

Jimmy Wright

32 Ch Whirlwind Digital snake...to LS9-32
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:40:39 PM »

AV consultant has spec'd out a 32 channel connect series whirlwind digital snake.  Wants an LS9-32 at FOH.  He didn't spec out how they would be interfacing with the LS9.  I've assumed that we would need 2 of the MY16-CII to incorporate all 32 inputs...The whirlwind stuff works via cobranet...We aren't setting up an audio Network, we are just looking to connect the CAT5e straight to the input cards...Do i have the gist of the this correct?
Jimmy Wright
Tolar AVL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: 32 Ch Whirlwind Digital snake...to LS9-32
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »

AV consultant has spec'd out a 32 channel connect series whirlwind digital snake.  Wants an LS9-32 at FOH.  He didn't spec out how they would be interfacing with the LS9.  I've assumed that we would need 2 of the MY16-CII to incorporate all 32 inputs...The whirlwind stuff works via cobranet...We aren't setting up an audio Network, we are just looking to connect the CAT5e straight to the input cards...Do i have the gist of the this correct?

What did the consultant say?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the Yamaha Digital Snake?

Andrew Welker

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • Denver, CO USA
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »

As Tim stated, sounds like a question for the consultant. When there is a consultant involved, you do not want to take responsibility for any design decisions, as you don't have all the information needed. Send an RFI up the proper chain, which in most consultant designed systems starts with the GC, who will then forward the RFI to the proper people that can give an answer.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:44 PM »

I think you are correct.  Odd that he didn't specify.  Might be a sign that he needs to do more research.

It it were me, for about the same money I'd wait a bit and go with the new Allen & Heath GLD.

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »

I have seen this in churches because the contractor will use the snake to get mic lines to the LS9 and use a Whirlwind to Aviom converter to get both Aviom and digital snake on one cat5 and on the 2 card slots while keeping everything digital. Just my 2 cents.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/digital-audio-networking/io-modules/pxp-protocol-exchange-platform

Matthew Brown

• Killer Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »

Correct me.. I'm trying to understand.

When using the whirlwind connect series digital snake system with a digital console / cards installed, how do you control input gain? I thought the connect series has manual gain control at the transmit side and when using card slots for inputs on the console, you can not control gain.

Lee Richard

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »

If possible, avoid the Whirlwind Connect series digital snakes. You cannot control the gain or phantom power from the console, instead you must go to the stage, and adjust the gain with a screwdriver! It is a giant pain in the ass, especially if you have a bass player crank his amp, or a pad kicks out of the keyboard DI. If you absolutely know you will never need to touch the gain during a live set, then go for it, but I have found it quite useless as a digital snake.

Matthew Brown

• Killer Pro Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »

If possible, avoid the Whirlwind Connect series digital snakes. You cannot control the gain or phantom power from the console, instead you must go to the stage, and adjust the gain with a screwdriver! It is a giant pain in the ass, especially if you have a bass player crank his amp, or a pad kicks out of the keyboard DI. If you absolutely know you will never need to touch the gain during a live set, then go for it, but I have found it quite useless as a digital snake.

I agree however, I think it would be useful if you were using an analog desk at FOH. You could take the analog outputs from the 328R (FOH) and plug them into the console. On the 328T (stage) side of things you could use the DB25 passive analog split outputs and plug them into an analog or digital monitor desk. Used in this way, you can avoid copper running from stage to FOH.

Another way is to take the analog outputs from the 328R (FOH) and plug them into a digital FOH console but then you would be going from A/D on stage 328T to D/A at FOH 328R back to A/D in the console then D/A from console returns to A/D etc etc etc...

Not too sexy.

Lee Richard

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »

I agree however, I think it would be useful if you were using an analog desk at FOH. You could take the analog outputs from the 328R (FOH) and plug them into the console. On the 328T (stage) side of things you could use the DB25 passive analog split outputs and plug them into an analog or digital monitor desk. Used in this way, you can avoid copper running from stage to FOH.

Another way is to take the analog outputs from the 328R (FOH) and plug them into a digital FOH console but then you would be going from A/D on stage 328T to D/A at FOH 328R back to A/D in the console then D/A from console returns to A/D etc etc etc...

Not too sexy.

Both options you have suggested are vastly more expensive than simply running copper. A 32x8 Snake is about the same price as just one end of the Connect 328.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.