ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal Effects Processor Recommendations  (Read 15475 times)

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
Re: Vocal Effects Processor Recommendations
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 02:49:51 AM »

I have to agree with Dave. The M1 is a very good reverb / multi effects / 2 channel effects unit, and the D2 is simply a great delay.

One point to ponder is that the M1, and almost all TC reverb/effects units are generally two (2) channel units with seperate effects engines meaning you can use one channel for a delay and one for reverb. That is how my M1 is running right now, using aux 5 and 6 on the board.

You have to be really, really old to have owned or worked with a PCM 42. I have a PCM 92 in the rack that I'm being loaned for eval and may buy, but I'm not anywhere near as old as Dave. I can't seem to swing my 60 pound black lab around in my basement without hitting something TC, or Lexicon, or JBL, or QSC, or Fender, or APB, or DBX, or Kenmore, or Dewalt, or Craftsman.

This saved my butt at a gig. The rack I had was equipped with a M1/D2 and it was going to be a good day. Shortly before sound check the D2 decided that it wanted to take a nap. I reset it and all was well, we continued with sound check. Just before the show started it did it again. Not wanting to take any chances I quickly reprogrammed the M1 to use it as a multieffect instead of just a stereo 'verb. Because I wasn't as familiar with it's delay settings/menu in the M1 and didn't have time to fiddle I couldn't get every effect I wanted but i was able to have a show that ran smoothly.

I've always loved the D2 for its user interface and loads of options. That would be my choice.

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »

I have to agree with Dave. The M1 is a very good reverb / multi effects / 2 channel effects unit, and the D2 is simply a great delay.

One point to ponder is that the M1, and almost all TC reverb/effects units are generally two (2) channel units with seperate effects engines meaning you can use one channel for a delay and one for reverb. That is how my M1 is running right now, using aux 5 and 6 on the board.

You have to be really, really old to have owned or worked with a PCM 42. I have a PCM 92 in the rack that I'm being loaned for eval and may buy, but I'm not anywhere near as old as Dave. I can't seem to swing my 60 pound black lab around in my basement without hitting something TC, or Lexicon, or JBL, or QSC, or Fender, or APB, or DBX, or Kenmore, or Dewalt, or Craftsman.

One last thing. Many people find that the M300 and 350, or the entry level Lexicon units are just fine for every day use, and in many respects they are. However, I would suggest that if you can score an M1, buy it, but if you can score a TC 2000 for a decent price that you jump on it. The 2000 reverbs are lush and full, delays very nice and all other effects a big step above average.

Good luck.
I agree the TC M2000 sounds awesome and is easy to use. You can run it in stereo or have 2 engines. You can pick one up used for around $500.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »

IIRC, the limpness of the cat decreases by the square of velocity of its speed divided by (its weight divided by its BMI).
There was a variable for Limpness?  ;)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »

IIRC, the limpness of the cat decreases by the square of velocity of its speed divided by (its weight divided by its BMI).

The circumference may or may not increase depending on TEMP (time elapsed post mortem) x rpm.  The shorter the TEMP, the higher the FF (flacidity factor) and the more likely that as the RPM increases, the corpus felis will actually increase slightly in length which then tends to cause an ever so slight increase in the RPM.  As such, the calculations are not to be attempted casually by the newly initiated but should be performed under the supervision of or by one formally trained in the science of DCR (deceased feline rotation).
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 03:41:10 PM »

+1 on the M350.  The two-engines-in-one feature is nice when board channels are limited.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »

The circumference may or may not increase depending on TEMP (time elapsed post mortem) x rpm.  The shorter the TEMP, the higher the FF (flacidity factor) and the more likely that as the RPM increases, the corpus felis will actually increase slightly in length which then tends to cause an ever so slight increase in the RPM.  As such, the calculations are not to be attempted casually by the newly initiated but should be performed under the supervision of or by one formally trained in the science of DCR (deceased feline rotation).
I find a slight flaw in your equation Dick. Please note that the increase in length will not increase RPM, but will increase perimiter volocity. This is directly related to the need for the head of the corpus felis to travel faster as the diameter of the circle expands. In the world of a machinist this would be known as SFPM, or surface feet per minute. I would suppose then that in this equation we should refer to this as CFHS, or corpus felis head speed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

bryan see

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »

This saved my butt at a gig. The rack I had was equipped with a M1/D2 and it was going to be a good day. Shortly before sound check the D2 decided that it wanted to take a nap. I reset it and all was well, we continued with sound check. Just before the show started it did it again. Not wanting to take any chances I quickly reprogrammed the M1 to use it as a multieffect instead of just a stereo 'verb. Because I wasn't as familiar with it's delay settings/menu in the M1 and didn't have time to fiddle I couldn't get every effect I wanted but i was able to have a show that ran smoothly.

I've always loved the D2 for its user interface and loads of options. That would be my choice.

bryan see

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »

I love the Lexicon "Alex"  sounds great and so easy to use. They may be hard to find anymore?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »

I love the Lexicon "Alex"  sounds great and so easy to use. They may be hard to find anymore?

Somebody gave me one a few years back.  You can have it for the cost of shipping.  It's one of the worst sounding units I've ever encountered.  Very dirty patches with an insanely high noise floor.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »

You have to be really, really old to have owned or worked with a PCM 42...

did you need to use two reallys?  thanks for that...  :)

still my favorite delay, though.  [sigh]
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.