ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Placement of UTP extenders at ceiling mounted projectors  (Read 3650 times)

Mike Tomei, CTS

Placement of UTP extenders at ceiling mounted projectors
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »

Hello everyone,

For those of you that use UTP Cat5/6 signal extenders, I was wonder where you place them for ceiling mounted projectors hung from suspended ceilings?  I'm especially concerned with the extenders that are active and need to be plugged in.  I know that simply throwing them in the ceiling and plugging them into an outlet in the ceiling isn't something that would adhere to NEC code, right?  Does anyone use a tray/box that connects to the ceiling mount and is located outside the suspended ceiling to house these items, or do you have an in-ceiling option that meets code?

Thanks!

Mike Tomei

Clayton Ganzer

Re: Placement of UTP extenders at ceiling mounted projectors
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »

Hello everyone,

For those of you that use UTP Cat5/6 signal extenders, I was wonder where you place them for ceiling mounted projectors hung from suspended ceilings?  I'm especially concerned with the extenders that are active and need to be plugged in.  I know that simply throwing them in the ceiling and plugging them into an outlet in the ceiling isn't something that would adhere to NEC code, right?  Does anyone use a tray/box that connects to the ceiling mount and is located outside the suspended ceiling to house these items, or do you have an in-ceiling option that meets code?

Thanks!

Mike Tomei

Most Cat5 receiving units (the part by the projector) are powered by the sending unit so on most units there isn't a need to plug it into power on the other end. However, if yours does need to be plugged in there is no problem with plugging it into the same power source as your projector. Those units consume minimal amounts of power and it is recommended that the Cat5 extenders are on the same ground as the projectors to minimize interference and noise so it is perfectly acceptable to plug it into the same power as the projector and hide it above the ceiling.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »

Those units consume minimal amounts of power and it is recommended that the Cat5 extenders are on the same ground as the projectors to minimize interference and noise so it is perfectly acceptable to plug it into the same power as the projector and hide it above the ceiling.
If the ceiling is a plenum space then I do not think that many UTP receivers are rated for installation in a plenum space.

I have seen the column mount shelves or enclosures used, however  I have also seen the receiver simply tie wrapped to the column.

I believe that power receptacles above the ceiling are acceptable for temporary use but not for powering permanent/installed devices, which is why you often see power receptacles for projectors mounted flush in the ceiling.

Chuck Fudge

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »

We velcro them on top of the projector.  With all the wiring cable tied and tidy, in no way can they fall.  Only thing is they are not secured from theft or tampering.  I recall seeing variations of ceiling mounts that incorporate a secure "basket" for UTP or other devices such as content players.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.