ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Pseudo balanced outputs?  (Read 36819 times)

Irving A. Hammond Jr.

Pseudo balanced outputs?
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »

On a Alesis Adat Hd24 it states it has pseudo balanced outputs what exactly does that mean? Would I be better of running the outputs through a di for better shielding and longer runs? Is it just the ground and shield tied together?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Pseudo balanced outputs?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »

On a Alesis Adat Hd24 it states it has pseudo balanced outputs what exactly does that mean? Would I be better of running the outputs through a di for better shielding and longer runs? Is it just the ground and shield tied together?

Why do you have long cable runs?  You need to have a mixer or preamps of some kind to feed the HD24.  Any long cable runs would be going to that/them, then direct outs to the HD24.  You need 24 channels of TRS > TRS in one, two or three snakes.  I find 15' to be enough......usually.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Irving A. Hammond Jr.

Pseudo balanced outputs?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »

Irving A. Hammond Jr.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »

Why do you have long cable runs?  You need to have a mixer or preamps of some kind to feed the HD24.  Any long cable runs would be going to that/them, then direct outs to the HD24.  You need 24 channels of TRS > TRS in one, two or three snakes.  I find 15' to be enough......usually.
I'm talking about the outputs. For instance running signals down a snake to FOH a couple hundred feet away.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »

I'm talking about the outputs. For instance running signals down a snake to FOH a couple hundred feet away.

You want to run the outputs of 24 tracks from the mix position to the stage?  Sorry, I just couldn't picture that from your initial post.  What's the configuration and purpose of the entire setup?  Or is this all just theoretical?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:05:33 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »

You want to run the outputs of 24 tracks from the mix position to the stage?  Sorry, I just couldn't picture that from your initial post.  What's the configuration and purpose of the entire setup?  Or is this all just theoretical?

..He may be running 24 tracks of playback from the stage?? AFAIK, a pseudo-balanced output uses a non-differential driver with common tied to Cold/Ring. Easy enough to check with a multimeter. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »

Pseudo-Balanced is a Pseudo technical term, i.e. not an actual technical term.

I would speculate they are talking about impedance balanced, which is actually pretty similar in performance to actual balanced outputs for line level signals sent over modest distances.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »

Pseudo-Balanced is a Pseudo technical term, i.e. not an actual technical term.

I would speculate they are talking about impedance balanced, which is actually pretty similar in performance to actual balanced outputs for line level signals sent over modest distances.

JR
Just to expand on what JR is saying-an "impedance balanced output" is not a differentially driven or transformer type output.  But rather a single ended output on the "hot" leg, and a resistor (equal to the impedance of the single ended output) between the "cold" leg and ground.

You don't get twice the voltage swing as with both legs driven, but does provide a very workable "balanced" output.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »

What do they say it means? Without an explanation from Alesis, it doesn't mean anything at all.

It may mean that the impedance to ground is the same for both conductors, but only one has signal voltage on it. Of course that would be an actual balanced circuit, so I don't know what "psuedo" means. What prevents noise PU in the circuit is the input being balanced, and the cable being STP.

Balanced audio has equal, but opposite polarity, signals in each of the 2 conductors in the STP. This has the effect of doubling the signal voltage at the input.

Mac

edit: I just noticed that this thread was here twice, I have merged them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:37:43 PM by Mac Kerr »

Irving A. Hammond Jr.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »

Yeah I was talking about playback of tracks with HD24 @ stage . Alesis manual has no reference  of what pseudo balanced outputs means. I'll see what they say.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.