ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: a Driver design question  (Read 9788 times)

Brian Larson

a Driver design question
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »

Eh, I'm just surprised you poked the drummer and got away with it.

+1

Jeff Bankston

Re: a Driver design question
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 01:49:33 AM »

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 03:07:57 AM »

Just to add this into the conversation:

Not exactly what you were looking for, but this is a very unique driver that does away with the conventional methods of diaphragm suspension.

http://www.manger-audio.co.uk/manger-speakers-transducer.htm

Adam Sykes

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 09:03:24 AM »

Just to add this into the conversation:

Not exactly what you were looking for, but this is a very unique driver that does away with the conventional methods of diaphragm suspension.

http://www.manger-audio.co.uk/manger-speakers-transducer.htm

Interesting. 

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »

The short answer to the OP question is that, while do-able, the design provides no advantages over prior art. Indeed it introduces new issues.

The hammer, the knife, the wheel, the electric motor, the coil-driven pistonic loudspeaker, are enduring designs of elegant simplicity. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »

Another problem would be the physical aize of the coil.  As it gets larger-the inductance goes up.  This effectively puts a series inductance with the woofer-therefore acting as a low pass filter-therefore lowering the top end response of the driver.

This may or may not be a good thing-depending on the design. 

This is another reason that the driver that have the most high freq response use small coils.

Of course there is a lot more to it that simple diameter of the coil-that affects the overall inductance.  But it is one thing to consider.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »

It's neither here or there, but I was curious if anyone knows of a driver design thats been tested over the years with the voice coil on the outer edge of the cone, basically integrating the surround and spider or something to that effect?

This is something that has crossed my mind before and I assume that there is some inherent issue with going about it this way, as there are very smart people who do this for a living that I'm sure have though of all sorts of wacky crap like this.

I just always imagined that a driver configuration like this would work wonders for a coaxial design.

I'm interested to know way it doesn't work.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam,

An old idea, with many variations turning up every so often. Basically a huge version of a compression driver diaphragm. The picture in another post, of the Manger, is a bending wave type driver. Nice sound, but not very loud. Below is a pic of a recent Philips variation of your idea. They have been doing things like this for the last 50 years. New materials are allowing people to make woofers with relatively small diameter cones and large voice coils. eg 12" with a 6.5" VC. 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:29:46 PM by Iain Macdonald »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.