ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another newbie question- HF horn Addition..crossovers  (Read 4996 times)

Rex Carlson

Another newbie question- HF horn Addition..crossovers
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:33:27 AM »

hello my goal is to add 2 HF horn cabs to my existing 2-way mains by daisy chaining the 2 cabs together...but i just built the horn cabs and installed the 2 - 8ohm horns I have no crossovers.I cannot directly wire 1/4" jacks to thehorn drivers can I, would just an L pad work? I just would like any input on what options i have as I dont want to pour too much into this project, any help would be greatly appreciated Rex

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Another newbie question- HF horn Addition..crossovers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:11:13 AM »

hello my goal is to add 2 HF horn cabs to my existing 2-way mains by daisy chaining the 2 cabs together...but i just built the horn cabs and installed the 2 - 8ohm horns I have no crossovers.I cannot directly wire 1/4" jacks to thehorn drivers can I, would just an L pad work? I just would like any input on what options i have as I dont want to pour too much into this project, any help would be greatly appreciated Rex

There are at least a few reasons why simply adding a second HF horn is not a good idea. If the existing system uses a passive crossover and you add a 2nd HF horn:

1. you either raise or lower the crossover point to both HF drivers depending on whether the HF horns are wired in series or parallel.

2. you create an imbalance between lows and highs

3. you change the phase response of the system. And it does not get better.

Assuming you really need whatever you think you need, you should search the internet for articles on crossover design, etc and/or buy a used copy of the Loudspeaker Cookbook at Amazon. Figure out how to do this right.

In the process you may decide you do not want/need to do this or maybe you simply need a different HF horn (which you must also choose and then crossover carefully).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:13:33 AM by Tom Young »
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »

hello my goal is to add 2 HF horn cabs to my existing 2-way mains by daisy chaining the 2 cabs together...but i just built the horn cabs and installed the 2 - 8ohm horns I have no crossovers.I cannot directly wire 1/4" jacks to thehorn drivers can I, would just an L pad work? I just would like any input on what options i have as I dont want to pour too much into this project, any help would be greatly appreciated
Once you're already well into the project is really not the time to start thinking about such issues.  What are you trying to do by adding a second HF horn and driver?  Is the horn and driver you're adding the same as what is in the mains?

The crossover in the mains is engineered to work with the driver in that box, wiring a second driver in parallel is going to change the performance of the integrated crossover.  What you should use is a separate crossover or at least high pass filter matched for your new boxes, ideally separate EQ as well, and a separate amplifier.

You can always try wiring it in parallel but if you're worried about budget then you probably can't afford to be replacing drivers as they fail.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:38:01 AM »

The other answer are correct.  But to add.  And L pad does nothing for helping to "add" another horn.  It is just used as a constant load level control.

The MOST IMPORTANT question to be answered is "why do you want to add additional horns?".  That will go a long way towards getting good usable answers.

More is not always better.  The fewer loudspeakers you can do a job with, the better it will sound-with ANY loudspeaker-make or model.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rex Carlson

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »

Thanks all for your input, the reason I built these 2 cabs with horns was because my 2 way mains have e/v midhorns and i wanted to obtain the high highs with the extra HF horns on top,I know I could have done it differently but wanted a project to do.I was also wandering if i could just find a used 3-way crossover with jack plate and just connect the high side to the horns of the top cabs i just built? sorry if i sound ignorant..still learning thanks again Rex

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »

Thanks all for your input, the reason I built these 2 cabs with horns was because my 2 way mains have e/v midhorns and i wanted to obtain the high highs with the extra HF horns on top,I know I could have done it differently but wanted a project to do.I was also wandering if i could just find a used 3-way crossover with jack plate and just connect the high side to the horns of the top cabs i just built? sorry if i sound ignorant..still learning thanks again Rex

Nope, that won't work.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »

Thanks all for your input, the reason I built these 2 cabs with horns was because my 2 way mains have e/v midhorns and i wanted to obtain the high highs with the extra HF horns on top
What model are the mains and what drivers and horns are you trying to add?  In coming up with what you have apparently already built for the new boxes was there any consideration for patterns, driver interactions, etc.?

Rex Carlson

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »

Nope, that won't work.
Ok tks..I will keep searching for answers that will work

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »

Ok tks..I will keep searching for answers that will work

Rex....

You're not really giving enough information to get really meaningful answers.  Your terms are very general and will get general replies.  The more specific you can be on what's in what you have and how it's configured, the more apt the advice you'll get in return.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »

Hey Rex if you looking for someone here to help you rig that setup together
and hope it works right that is just not going to happen with the lack of information.
The people here are pro's and are not going to give you information on how to
Jerry-rig your gear together and hope it works.   
The most professional answer you can hope for at this point is it is not going to work
right.   There is a specification called frequency response.   Your EV 2way has
a specific frequency response specification.   You have not even listed the model
number of the EV 2way cabinet.   
At this point I would suggest you tilt up your high frequency response through the use of a high frequency tone control and forget adding the additional horn.
Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, or just using the individual tone controls on the channels
of your mixer.   If the vocal does not have the high sizzle you want simply use your tone controls and be cautious of feedback through your system. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.