ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does This Exist?  (Read 4753 times)

Robert Hooper

Does This Exist?
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »

Hey fellows.  I'm a noowb with a compelling question.

I'm looking for a live sound mixer that uses a basic wifi network coupled with a laptop running a VST mixer to control front of house and monitor sound.  It seems like such an easy thing with today's technology that I can't believe that it doesn't exist.  I've seen the new Line6 stuff that uses an iPad as a mixer but does one exist that does basically the same thing using software running on a laptop?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Does This Exist?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

Hey fellows.  I'm a noowb with a compelling question.

I'm looking for a live sound mixer that uses a basic wifi network coupled with a laptop running a VST mixer to control front of house and monitor sound.  It seems like such an easy thing with today's technology that I can't believe that it doesn't exist.  I've seen the new Line6 stuff that uses an iPad as a mixer but does one exist that does basically the same thing using software running on a laptop?

http://www.softwareaudioconsole.com/

I think this is what you're looking for.  The efficacy of such as this has yet to be proved to me.  I like a physical console with faders and the ability to adjust things without scrolling, paging to or searching for them.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Robert Hooper

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »

http://www.softwareaudioconsole.com/

I think this is what you're looking for.  The efficacy of such as this has yet to be proved to me.  I like a physical console with faders and the ability to adjust things without scrolling, paging to or searching for them.

I'm with you on having a physical board to work with. However, I've been using VSTs for do long that I have gotten over it.  I'll check out the link. Thanx!

Robert Hooper

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »

That is more of a DIY sort of thing...  I can't believe there isn't something out there for us, shall I say, less ambitious...

This is what I want...

Ever seen anything like it?  Line 6 just released a bunch of pro-audio stuff but as far as I can tell the only way to control it is via iPad...

Brian Larson

Does This Exist?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »

Both the Yamaha LS9 and Presonus StudioLive have this capability although they are still mixers with physical faders.

The Yamaha stagebox MIGHT be able to do what you want but I'm not certain.

Most higher-end system processors (BSS soundweb comes to mind) have this feature but it's not exactly user friendly.

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »

Also check out the new Mackie digital ipad mixer or for a more professional product Allen and Heath's Ilive series does almost exactly what you are describing you could get just the mix rack which has the conversion and processing built in and control it with a laptop / ipad or you could use it like a normal mixer by plugging in a control surface
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Robert Hooper

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »

Also check out the new Mackie digital ipad mixer or for a more professional product Allen and Heath's Ilive series does almost exactly what you are describing you could get just the mix rack which has the conversion and processing built in and control it with a laptop / ipad or you could use it like a normal mixer by plugging in a control surface

Wow!  That's exactly what I'm looking for!! 

Thank you!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:56:51 PM »

Wow!  That's exactly what I'm looking for!!
I guess that I misunderstood your original post as "a laptop running a VST mixer" seemed to suggest the laptop providing the audio processing.  I believe that with any of the options mentioned other than SAC the laptop or iPad is simply a controller for the physical mixing and processing hardware device and is not actually mixing or processing any audio.  The only audio the laptop or iPad addresses directly even with the Mackie is playback from and recording to files on the device and the iPad must be docked in the mixer for that to work. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:56:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.