ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elation Power Spot 250 Repairs  (Read 5561 times)

Sergei Shapoval

Elation Power Spot 250 Repairs
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »

Hi,

I have a chance to buy a pair of these locally for a few hundred bucks. They were used in a permanent club install and have about 4000 hours on them. He thinks one just needs a new bulb. Apparently the other has a sticky shutter and gobo.

If I could get these, for say... $200, would they be worth picking up and fixing? I don't have any experience with these, and I'm not really sure what the expected lifespan of these fixtures are.

Just looking for some guidance. Thanks everyone!

Thomas Bishop

Re: Elation Power Spot 250 Repairs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »

If I could get these, for say... $200, would they be worth picking up and fixing?

Yes.

DanGlass

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:45:08 PM »

defenitely worth $200

James Feenstra

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »

If those are in fact the only issues with them, you're looking at $4000 worth of lighting (that's the new retail price) for about $500

$200 for the fixtures, about $150 for the bulb and another $150 for two stepper motors (likely cause of a sticky shutter and gobo wheel) if you can do the repair yourself.

Pretty damn good deal, but something tells me that for that price, there's more wrong with them than they're letting on. I'd see if you can test them first before you make the purchase, if they have severe issues (ie need a new main pcb or complete internal rewiring) you'll be looking at a much higher repair cost.

The light *should* show you error codes when it's turned on if there's problems, and there's more than likely a self test mode built into it which will run it through all of it's functions to let you see if they're working properly. Self test is best performed in all mounting configurations that you plan on using it in. Usually just head up and head down.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Sergei Shapoval

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »

I have done some repair work on smaller moving heads before and have been successful. So if it's just the motors, I should be fine doing the repairs myself.

He had them listed at $500 but I've been reluctant to pay that much. He said to just make him an offer - it sounds like he will agree on $300.

I guess my main concern is longevity. With 4,000 hours on them, they have certainly been well used. I don't want to fix them up and have them completely die on me within a year. Or are the only parts in these units that really go bad are the motors/bulbs?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:01:46 PM by Sergei Shapoval »

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »

anything can go bad really...motors, sensors, ignitors, bulbs (a msd 250/2 is only good for ~2500 hours)

4000 hours on a light is not really that much, 3 years worth of use in a club that's open 3-4 nights a week
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:35:20 PM »

"They were used in a permanent club install and have about 4000 hours on them. He thinks one just needs a new bulb. Apparently the other has a sticky shutter and gobo."

$2k light for 200 hundred? I would wonder why they were pulled.

Another way to look at the hours is, 40 hours per week X 50 weeks = 2,000 hours per year X 2 years = 4,000 hours.

At 100 dollars each, you might get one running and have fun doing it.

Regards,  John

Sergei Shapoval

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »

He was asking $500 but I picked up the pair for $280, and honestly they seem like they're in pretty decent shape.

One of them works without issues, just has about 2800 hours on the bulb. The other one actually works fine about 90% of the time, but like he said, the gobos and shutter sometimes don't work correctly and the gobo sometimes doesn't line up right. I haven't tested them for more than about 20 minutes yet, but this actually looks like I'll have a sold pair of moving heads after new bulbs and two new motors (~$400 worth of repairs).

If I have any questions, I'll be back!

Thanks guys.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.